Kerbals accelerate backwards for no reason

Hi all, I'm running KSP 0.25.0.642 from Steam. The build version is

build id = 006422014-10-07_10-59-44Branch: master

I have 64 bit Windows 7.

Intel core 2 duo E4500 4gb ram (3.37 usable)

nvidia 9800 gt

This is a really bizzare bug. It was fine a week ago, but today when I played it I kept noticing that my craft had some phantom rotation force constantly being applied to it. Using SAS did not correct the rotation force. It would just start spinning even when it's outside of the atmosphere, and no thrusters were on. It would always start to pitch down, and very slightly to the right. I had to constantly manually correct for this rotation, but it just kept happening.

Trying to isolate the variables, I gradually took parts off my spacecraft, until only the command pod MK1-2 remained. At the launch pad, I turned off gravity using Alt-F12. There it was again. The craft began to rotate on it's own. I used the smaller command pod Mk1, and again, it started rotating. I then made Jeb get out and do an EVA, and to my surprise, the command pod stopped rotating. Somehow Jeb being inside the command pod was causing it to rotate! I switched to a different Kerbal, Bill, and again, the rotation force was present. When he was outside of the pod, the force was gone! But this time, I discovered something stranger. I had Bill dismount from the pod, start using his jetpack, and move around a bit. I had nulled all lateral velocity, and instead of coming down he started drifting backwards! He kept accelerating along his backwards vector, no matter where he faced. This force must be the cause of the command pod's strange rotation! To verify this, I launched the Stayputnik all by itself without gravity, and sure enough, no rotation.

With different save files, new games, this all still happens.

So... I hope this will be fixed soon? I haven't found anything online regarding this bug, so maybe I'm the only one who got it? I don't use any mods btw.

vwrstudios.com/output_log.txt

In this game log I started the game, went to my usual save file, launched a craft that is only a Mk1 command pod with Jeb in it. Turned off gravity, let it rotate a bit, controlled it a bit, and then got out for an EVA. Dismounted, turned on jet pack, and floated in the air for a second. I then let myself be carried backwards by the phantom force. Then I revert to VAB, exit, quit, quit.

I have no way of knowing if it's related or not, but your log is full of this, repeated:

HandleD3DDeviceLost  HandleD3DDeviceLost: still lost
Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename: Line: 1617)

So either you alt-tab out of fullscreen mode a lot, or there's something funky going on with your graphics drivers. Might be worth seeing if you can update them.

Apart from that, though, there's nothing out of ordinary in your log file.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.