Historicish NASA play throw

tmikesecrist3

but how do I keep the plane that drops the X-15 form crashing?

Well... do you need too? It'll vanish after you get a certain distance away. Make it drone controlled without a kerbal aboard and it's no big deal.

Cancelled after Apollo? Hah. Try cancelled before! 1968, guys. The last Saturn rolled out of the assembly building.

Yes, well done dear. I think we can all safely assume that the OP means that the Saturn assembly line stayed open when they plan for after Apollo.

Oh I know. It's just that the OK said that it wa cancelled after Apollo. It was not. Apollo was dead-on-arrival.

Depends on what you mean by 'on-arrival'. If you mean by the time of the moon landings, then yes the saturn lines had been shut down, but Apollo 18+ was only cancelled in 1970 ish?

yes and the last Apollo missions using that hardware where where skylab and the Apollo/syiex (how ever you spell it) which is not a mission I plan on doing really because, I am not planing on doing the sovit space program at the same time I am doing NASA, so the only things from other space angincys we will see in my play throw will be things that where launched by nasa for them

They cancelled Apollo 18+ because of a lack of Saturns. One was taken for Skylab, which left one last Saturn, and they didn't want to use it, I guess.

Hey, you could do the manned Venus flyby with Apollo tech, just use LM engines on the CSM and use the booster stage as a "HAB" module.

They cancelled Apollo 18+ because of a lack of Saturns. One was taken for Skylab, which left one last Saturn, and they didn't want to use it, I guess.

Uh... no. Apollo 18-20 were cancelled by Nixon because of budget issues. The Saturns were already built for them. Skylab was a 'Well, we have a spare Saturn now, what shall we do with it?'

EDIT: Okay, to cover myself I'm gonna hold my hands up here and say I was wrong... sorta... In 1969, it was decided that Apollo 20 would be scratched and replaced by the Skylab launch instead. Buuut (here's the Sorta) Apollo 18 and 19 were scrapped in 1971, due to both budget cuts and the cash-hungry development of the STS.

So you're still wrong :P There are two flight-worthy Saturn V's on display as museum pieces, so it wasn't a lack of Saturns. But I wasn't as right as I thought I was. :)

Edited by HMS Sophia

Hey, you could do the manned Venus flyby with Apollo tech, just use LM engines on the CSM and use the booster stage as a "HAB" module.

Excuse the double post, but this sounds like a great idea. Von Braun was a little in love with 'Wet laboratory's.' Which this would represent nicely. (See, I agree with some things you say :P )

Uh... no. Apollo 18-20 were cancelled by Nixon because of budget issues. The Saturns were already built for them. Skylab was a 'Well, we have a spare Saturn now, what shall we do with it?'

EDIT: Okay, to cover myself I'm gonna hold my hands up here and say I was wrong... sorta... In 1969, it was decided that Apollo 20 would be scratched and replaced by the Skylab launch instead. Buuut (here's the Sorta) Apollo 18 and 19 were scrapped in 1971, due to both budget cuts and the cash-hungry development of the STS.

So you're still wrong :P There are two flight-worthy Saturn V's on display as museum pieces, so it wasn't a lack of Saturns. But I wasn't as right as I thought I was. :)

Huh. I forgot about that one Saturn.

Btw, I've probably forgotten more than you'll ever know. I actually DID know that stuff, a while ago...

Technically we're both right and wrong, I said they didn't to use it, but I didn't really specify who "they" was. I meant the US government as a whole...

Huh. I forgot about that one Saturn.

Which one? I mentioned three.

Btw, I've probably forgotten more than you'll ever know. I actually DID know that stuff, a while ago...

Yeah? That kind of implies age and maturity, which you're not really showing. See, I kinda believe you knew it, but I like to double check myself before demanding that something is true...

Technically we're both right and wrong, I said they didn't to use it, but I didn't really specify who "they" was. I meant the US government as a whole...

Did you? Lets see:

No, they didn't cancel 18 or 19 because of a lack of Saturns. They did it because of budgets.

Yes, one was taken for Skylab. You're right there. That was intended for Apollo 20.

I'm sorry, unless you're being totally disingenuous (heaven forbid), that last part parses as 'NASA didn't want to use it'. And neither the Nixon Administration nor NASA just 'didn't want to use it', it was no logical decision made. It was funding cuts, plain and simple. They couldn't afford to fly Apollo 18 or 19.Oh, and it wasn't one leftover Saturn, it was 2.

My point is, none of this has to do with the shutting down of the Saturn V production line. But if you'd like to back-pedal further, please don't let me stop you.

Edited by HMS Sophia

Can we please be civil , And retrun to the topic at hand... if nasa had not been looking for a resuable spance craft would they have even gone with STS or skiped it for something more like orion, which would have been easyer and cheaper for them to build... I mean we could have made reusable capsuels easyer then we could salve all the problems of launching the space shuttle like the didwith the thrust offset form the center of mass and the fact that the center of mass moves tword the space craft as the fuel burns... and I think AAP would take me about to 1985. at most (probley run that one out sonner then that. so what next, what would bring me form the late 80s to the present

I mentioned 2 total Saturns, I forgot about that last one. And just because I've forgotten more doesn't really imply age, it just implies that I do a lot of research, especially to pass the time. I don't know what you're getting at here though...

The government basically said, not really, of course, but the gist of it is "We beat the Soviets to the Moon, been there done that." And so "they didn't want to do it".

You also seem to have forgotten that NASA has no control over its own budget size. Not to mention what they spend it on...

They didn't do it because of budgets, they cut the budget, and at the same time cancelled those last missions. ( it's all coming back to me now...)

It seems you're getting a bit frustrated or something...

Anyhow...

Lets just agree to disagree if you really want to keep talking. I don't like debating late, and I'm tired right now...

OP:

Hmm...

I would suggest looking up the 1969 Space Transportation System proposal. The space shuttle was only supposed to be a part of the system. From space stations to space tugs it was all there.

Oh. Hmmm.... Then I would try to keep it close for Apoapsis and Periapsis, as well as inclination. The argument of Periapsis is relative to the Ascending Node, which has its own Longitude value relative to the chosen Epoch. I wouldn't care about Argument of Periapsis or Longitude of Ascending Node at all, it's pretty tough to get right. Especially if you don't know your current Ascending Node's longitude.

Edited by Bill Phil

When I look up sts I really only find the space shuttle, And I thought the space station was part of AAP or do I need more then one.... I could always build one in orbit around the moon but am not real sure what that would do for me. and there is always the MOL that I have parts for

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.