Dropship

This is something I\'ve wanted to do but haven\'t accomplished yet. Create a ship that you can put into orbit around the Mun with a dropship vehicle attached. Release the vehicle from the mothership in orbit and have it land on the Mun. Then meet up with the mothership in orbit. I\'m not sure if MechJeb can pull this off, my original configuration was to have Mechjeb on the dropship but something wasn\'t right as I couldn\'t control the ship and activating autopilot made it go all weird. My next attempt will be to have the command module as part of the dropship and leave the Mechjeb on the mothership. Thoughts?

That\'s purely cosmetic. You can \'dock\' by grabbing another ship with lander legs, or other folding parts, but this carries a very high chance of causing collison meshes to overlap, which causes the physics engine to freak out and tear your ship to tiny pieces, and also doesn\'t work above 2X warp.

If I understand mechjeb right, you\'ll need to have the capsule and the mechjeb attached to the lander, and to then jettison your dropship to make the landing. You -may- be able to attach a command pod to the dropship as well, and be able to swap between one and the other, but they can\'t really reconnect and fly off together as of yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.