Cake, SSTOs, and KSP .90

iHateLadders

Has .90 buffed planes or did I just accidentally design my best stock parts SSTO and fly it into orbit without trying by pure luck?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Seriously, this thing is loaded down with science parts and not at all designed for getting to 200km AP/46km PE while I'm not even paying attention. I've spent ages trying to build the optimal SSTO with stock or FAR/pWings in older versions and I've only had one success like this after many hours of testing and tweaking. Has anyone else noticed how easy this is compared to previous versions?

Also, I lied about the cake. Not sorry.

Edited by iHateLadders

4x physics warp increases the intake air that you get.

It also increases the amount of air used by the engine by the same factor, so it shouldn't make a difference.

That's just a lot of intakes feeding a single engine, so it's hardly surprising that it reached a high enough speed to do that considering how high up in the atmosphere the flameout threshold would be.

Ive had some crazy stuff happen to be. Replicate these results WITHOUT time warp and I would have to agree. But I believe the time warp was the main factor to getting to your high speed. Generally Your engine should of cut off much lower than 50KM, let alone 200km.

I also don't believe you got into an Orbit, you can have a very high Sub-Orbital Trajectory, but that doesn't make it an ssto ;D

Now if you DID make it to orbit just of jets, yea time warp. No where near enough intakes to make a Jet only to Orbit. (those ratios are insane haha)

Ive had some crazy stuff happen to be. Replicate these results WITHOUT time warp and I would have to agree. But I believe the time warp was the main factor to getting to your high speed. Generally Your engine should of cut off much lower than 50KM, let alone 200km.

I also don't believe you got into an Orbit, you can have a very high Sub-Orbital Trajectory, but that doesn't make it an ssto ;D

Now if you DID make it to orbit just of jets, yea time warp. No where near enough intakes to make a Jet only to Orbit. (those ratios are insane haha)

A jet can get to a sub-orbital trajectory, but it cannot get its periapsis any higher than its engines can work (or it can adjust its trajectory using aerodynamics), but if it got to 3km/s at 25km, a quick sepratron burst at Ap will get you into orbit

A jet can get to a sub-orbital trajectory, but it cannot get its periapsis any higher than its engines can work (or it can adjust its trajectory using aerodynamics), but if it got to 3km/s at 25km, a quick sepratron burst at Ap will get you into orbit

Build airhogger. Raise apoapsis to desired altitude with periapsis at high altitude. Kill airbreathing engines' throttle. Allow IntakeAir gauge to fill. Close intakes. Coast to Ap. Reignite airbreather, if enough intake air has been stored the orbit can be circularized.

4x physics warp increases the intake air that you get.

At low altitude, physics warp reduces the airflow, as the excess over the tank capacity gets dumped. At high altitude, it doesn't change much for airflow.

High physics warp if you're climbing fast can reduce performance just from simulation error, but that's a pretty small effect.

OP seems to have about 0.1 intake area per tonne mass. 200x45 is about right for that.

you can reach 400k+ AP (or possibly even more) just from turbojet alone with the right design/ascend profile, like the othe said you still need other mean (rocket... ion) to raise your PE though.

see the top entry in this contest all had very high AP just from turbojet engines

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/102468-The-MachingBird-Revive%21-0-90-update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.