Angara A5 heavy lift ELV maiden flight today

1greywind

I like the common core design. A great way to keep costs down. With modern construction techniques, part standardization, lower infrastructure costs and low workforce costs, they have a chance of remaining competitive against the other players.

Image bomb incoming :)Russia's ministry of defence has released multiply good photos of Angara A5 (btw cyrilic domain names are terrible):

Latin domain names are terrible when you have several names for each letter (Latin, English and some learned German) and also people can think of Cyrillic counterparts, thus you need to explain every letter in a latin domain. And we don't know English alfa beta charlie code. Cyrillic domains are pure salvation. :)

The world adopted 'core latin' for URLs because that's what US research labs decided to use for the standard and what everyone was stuck with.

That's not true, nobody is stuck with it, the internet is still free and every country could decide on they own how to code their URL's. There are countires that possibly doing it already like North Korea. However nobody will reach your own URLs if none of the foreign DNS servers will translate them to IP adresses.

That's not true, nobody is stuck with it, the internet is still free and every country could decide on they own how to code their URL's.

IDN standard has been implemented only in 2010, before that top-level domains had to use ASCII.

There are countires that possibly doing it already like North Korea. However nobody will reach your own URLs if none of the foreign DNS servers will translate them to IP adresses.

That's not true as well, as accoring to IDN all non-ASCII domain names have they equivalent in ASCII precisely to allow anybody to access it. Here are some more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name

But this is offtop here.

Well that's not what i am talking about. Some countries could get the idea to build their own DNS implementation. They could or could not hold to international standards and nobody is going to say to them "Hey what you are doing is criminal, stop it". What i am trying to say that nobody is stuck to something a particular country has decided. At the end we are all connected with IP adresses, how we translate URL's into them is our own beef. We can use the international standard for it or not. If i am trying to be independent i could run my own DNS server and nobody could do anything about it. And what i do with my DNS server is only my problem as long as i don't do any harm to others. I could feed it for example with cyrillic domain name translations and could browse the webs in cyrillic. It would be solely my own beef and not the common misconception here that someone is dependant on anyone here regarding this matter.

And on more serious tone:

Expected launch rate of Angara-A5 is about 1 per year up until construction of second launch pad on Vostochny cosmodrome (~2018). It is known that production of 3 Angara-A5 vehicles are ordered until the end of 2016. There is also possibility, that manned version of Angara - Angara A5P will see green light for use with PTK NP (new russian spacecraft) and thus increase launch rate.

Main user of light Angara-A1 will be russian military - they need it as replacement for numerous light ICBM based ELV (Rokot, Kosmos, etc) that will phase out of use around 2016-2018. Same for heavy Angara-A5 - it's main role is to launch russian spy and communication satellites to GEO from Plesetsk.

Proton will remain main russian commercial heavy workhorse for next 20 years. I'm not sure that even then it will be discontinued completely.

I'm not sure if there really is a major need for Angara A1-it's almost identical to Soyuz 2.1v (same upper stage, soon to use variant of the same first stage engine), but requires new pads.

These pads will exist anyway (for A5). I'm honestly not sure what's the strategy of Soyuz 2.1v vs A1.2 is though, so I guess we'll see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.