Campaign: forum controlled KSP campaign: Space race to the Mun!!

The ZOxygen system has a sort of \'nitrous boost\' function that boosts effectiveness of liquid engines. Is that allowed? It seems funky to me

edit: I tried it and it makes kerbals go blue and engines blow up. Even if it\'s allowed I\'m deeming it too dangerous ;)

That\'s funny. I was experimenting with couple designs that barely get to 70 km (was going to submit one, but it had some safety issues), then I exchanged couple parts and... 177 km ??! ???

Maybe I should try this as ICBM? Are there any hints about the rewards for the new missions? (which to take?)

OK great. I first read Jaminis post and thought 'what\'s he talking about, polar orbit is simple with that budget'.......then I realised my mistake. :D That way it really is a challenge again. :)

For Jamini\'s eyes only, so others are not tempted.

Nice vid. I don\'t normally have time to watch all the vids - usually just the launch and the 'top of descent', but that notepad thing had me chuckling.

:)

Oh - the water landing, it is safer than land, but you had warp * 2 on. Buggy - don\' t do that!

Linking videos of how to do challenges defeats the whole point of participating in this campaign......

You don\'t need to watch if you don\'t want too.

Re. Togfox: Huh, that\'s odd. Next time I\'ll watch my warp settings. Still, it\'s strange that my chute snapped like that.

Submitted my intercontinental suborbital craft. It\'s getting really interesting, but we really need reward values to know what to target next.

Dang, I was hoping no one else would go for that. I guess we can share the payout..

... we really need reward values to know what to target next.

Understood. The difficulty is I can\'t really know what to \'pay\' because I don\'t know how much a craft will cost. Unless I fly every single mission with six or seven different designs I\'m not going to know what a fair and balanced \'prize\' is.

Fear not! I do have a cheat/hack/sneaky way of working this out after the fact. The downside is you\'re flying blind (pun not intended) during version 1. Consider yourselves trail blazing corporations flying for greed and money but not being entirely sure how much press attention each accolade will bring. ;)

This is the greatest game evar! I\'m really excited to participate, my only regret is I missed the first turn so I will forever be behind the front runners. This is especially troubling if prize money goes down since I\'ll never be the first to accomplish a mission. :(

Participate for fun CrowZone. Whilst you\'ll be a few thousand dollars behind, there are a wide range of missions available and you can still snag a 'first' in many area\'s. Frankly, the prize for 2nd isn\'t much less. It\'s when you get down to 5th/6th that the prestige wears off as the Kerbal citizens get bored of the same accomplishment (despite your personal achievement!).

I don\'t have the launch pad bug but u can use decouplers for free if used in the spirit of the space race.

Rage, did you send me a craft? If I missed it then I can still count you in turn 1 .

I sent the e-mail and posted in the forums prior to you posting the results but it wasn\'t long before so I\'ll leave it up to you.

Understood. The difficulty is I can\'t really know what to \'pay\' because I don\'t know how much a craft will cost. Unless I fly every single mission with six or seven different designs I\'m not going to know what a fair and balanced \'prize\' is.

Fear not! I do have a cheat/hack/sneaky way of working this out after the fact. The downside is you\'re flying blind (pun not intended) during version 1. Consider yourselves trail blazing corporations flying for greed and money but not being entirely sure how much press attention each accolade will bring. ;)

Okay, I was also worried about this -- I currently have designs capable of 35 and 70 km, but was worried about going broke, and being unable to do anything even with a successful flight. >_>

Ironic, i should have been able to get to the 10k mark. No dice yet.

It\'s doable with 3 boosters, while avoiding the finicky staging shown in that one video. Aerodynamic drag is your primary enemy. Ask here, or PM if you want any suggestions?

In the early days, every successful mission *should* make a profit. When I say should, I mean it would be hard to lose money. Submit the 70km version and if the sponsors are not impressed you should have at least enough for the 35km mission on turn 3 - worst case.

Rage - email me your turn 1 craft and then when ready, send your turn 2 craft. If you\'re not sure how much to spend on turn 2 then look at the table to see what everyone else did/got for guidance. I haven\'t checked my email since the end of turn 1 but will do so ASAP.

Sending in my latest craft, many thanks to sjwt for the advice!

I am happy to help with a \'No Kerbal left behind\' policy, at lest for anyone not shooting @ the same target as me ;D

It looks like there are rather cheaper designs than I was initially running. Staging is not my friend, nor is the TWR of 'advanced' propulsion systems.

Turn 2 Mission/craft sent. I seem to be a bit lacking in performance for range this turn, so altitude it is!

edit: ...and my cost estimates are off. Grr...

Sort of important question for the next turn and the \'orbit\' missions. Will it be required to complete a full (or more!) orbits? The zoxy main system does not last very long with three kerbals sucking it down :) I vote yes to requiring at least 1 full orbit should it be a voting matter

Sort of important question for the next turn and the \'orbit\' missions. Will it be required to complete a full (or more!) orbits? The zoxy main system does not last very long with three kerbals sucking it down :) I vote yes to requiring at least 1 full orbit should it be a voting matter

Indeed, how high is an orbit?