Have you sacrificed for Jeb?

Coffeeislife

I installed Win 7 for Kerbal Space Program.

Had to wipe the entire drive because it was one partition for Kubuntu Linux.

As much as I love linux and hate windows, I need right click functionality in KSP.

That and sore wrists are my sacrifices our beloved Jebediah.

Yours?

• 2 weeks later...

My sacrifice is 219 MB of hard drive space that I could have dedicated to something else.

(Then again, I do have 817 GB left of free hard drive space...)

Crikey! My first hard drive was 10 MEGAbytes. Cost me over $300 bucks too!

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

Ah, to be young again and have to load from a cassette tape. We never had problems with having to do homework before using the computer, we did our homework while it loaded... I remember when a pc had megabytes for RAM and HDD and cost over two grand. I dueled with the Pirates of Monkey Island, made Incredible Machines, kicked ass and chewed bubblegum for the first time and landed helicopters on the twin towers. Don't get me started about the wonders of dial-up and limewire OH and consoles that loaded instantly from a cartridge and wasn't a PC in disguise. Wow! Someone fetch me my cane and slippers to go with my pipe... I'm only 27:P

My first 'PC' had 4k RAM and loaded from cassettes. We got a 4k upgrade to 8k and I thought the world just opened up. I was actually able to type in and run a version of Scott Addams Adventure written in BASIC. In fact, it's that very experience that got me into programming later in life.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

I can't exactly remember when I got into computing. I've just a lways had one. My dad had a black and white laptop when he was an engineer in the army, we played F-19 Stealth Fighter on it, we had a commodore 64 as did most of my friends and I suppose I just always liked them. I could never be a programmer or anything that required more than basic math or programming language. I'm more of a creative type, I could design a computer game like that *clicks fingers*, but bringing it to life on PC is out of my league.

Ah, to be young again ... I dueled with the Pirates of Monkey Island, made Incredible Machines, kicked ass and chewed bubblegum for the first time and landed helicopters on the twin towers ... Someone fetch me my cane and slippers to go with my pipe... I'm only 27:P

I'm turning 30 this month, so I can relate to every word. I remember when my dad didn't want to loan me Aces over Europe, thinking it was too complicated for me. I remember using DOS and ARJ to get things across to other PC's using 1 stiffy disk (what we call em in South Africa). I remember playing FriendlyWare http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendlyware from 1.2mb floppies. Corncob was an awesome flight sim, downloaded it the other day to play it again. I remember the amazing jump in performance when you pressed the Turbo button on a 386. And how we also kicked ass and chewed bubblegum in my first Multi-Player experience using a laplink cable.

Yep, those were the days. Game play was more important than graphics back then.

I can't exactly remember when I got into computing. I've just a lways had one. My dad had a black and white laptop when he was an engineer in the army, we played F-19 Stealth Fighter on it, we had a commodore 64 as did most of my friends and I suppose I just always liked them. I could never be a programmer or anything that required more than basic math or programming language. I'm more of a creative type, I could design a computer game like that *clicks fingers*, but bringing it to life on PC is out of my league.

I like programming! I think my latest challenge has outdone me though. I sacrificed the time I should be failing working to program an MMO with the most basic program ever to entertain (and sometimes kill) Jeb.