[Tutorial Video] Mission to the Mun and Back

I have enough background knowledge to be conceptually comfortable with doing it. I was really wondering what your 'ascension curve' looked like as you climbed through different altitudes. (I.E. what you\'re looking for at each altitude.)

What I was trying to accomplish in the video was to get my apoapsis up to my planned altitude in a way that it wouldn\'t get there until I have a good amount of horizontal velocity. The atmosphere is very thin above 40km, so I don\'t worry about air resistance. I start my turn at around 10km because that\'s when the rocket will really start to accelerate my an appreciable amount. Best to start putting some of that acceleration into the horizontal at that point.

Great tutorial ! Thanks!

I feel a bit silly after my first moon landing with a super-heavy craft... this tutorial shows moon landing and back with style !!!

I think I need an explanation of the following:

'To get back to Kerbin with a periapsis of 30km, from an altitude of 10km above the Mun, a velocity of 846m/s is required. It has to be done at the right time to achieve a good escape trajectory from the Mun that will end up tangent and retrograde to its orbit.'

What do you mean by 'right time' and 'good escape trajectory'? I suppose all is related to the fuel budget. And why must the escape orbit be retrograde?

Thanks

Maraz

Alright Ive watched and studied this video extensively. The only question I have is how you fly so stable. When I fly by hand (Keyboard) i am constantly correcting and trying to keep up with the rocket movement. Are you using a joystick to fly, or is there so setting that I am missing (Beyond the standard capsule SAS) that i am failing to use?

Alright Ive watched and studied this video extensively. The only question I have is how you fly so stable. When I fly by hand (Keyboard) i am constantly correcting and trying to keep up with the rocket movement. Are you using a joystick to fly, or is there so setting that I am missing (Beyond the standard capsule SAS) that i am failing to use?

Remember that caps lock will toggle precision flying mode. This helps, but yes it is a constant dance.

I use the keyboard to fly rockets. It takes constant attention to keep the thing pointing in the right direction.

two things really quick, one.... i made it to the mun and i fly through it... maybe a bug? and second how do you lower the landing legs?

1) What is your current planet detail setting at? If it\'s low (say, 0 to 50%), try turning it up to 70-100%?

2) G

I finally got around to taking video of an orbital rendezvous using the method described in another tutorial of mine in this forum. I\'ll probably have it on youtube Thursday evening PST. Closest point of approach was 400-500m. I should have done the braking burn then, but decided to wait until apoapsis. By that time, the other craft was 1.4km in front of me. However, it did give me a chance to demonstrate how to do a catch-up burn.

Before I can upload that tutorial video, I need to upload a video of the launch to orbit. It\'s of interest to anyone who\'s looked at this craft and wondered how the heck it gets into orbit.

I haven\'t forgotten about you guys, just been busy with other things.

• 4 weeks later...