Help with building a space station.

Hi all,

I've recently picked up my first orbital space station mission but i'm having trouble building it. Can the station be built in several launches or does it have to be done in one launch? as when you launch the second time the first part in orbit technically becomes a pre-existing part and is no longer new.

If it can only be built in 1 launch then can someone give me a few example screenshots to look at as i'm drawing a blank on how it could be done :(

Edited by DelayedReaction

I think it needs to be done in one launch, same for outpost missions but I could be wrong.

It's actually not as difficult as you think once you get the hang of it. My advice would be to keep your design symmetrical even if it means adding extra parts, it'll make it much easier to launch.

For the purposes of Newness, the game considers any spacecraft that was built after the contract was accepted to be be "New." I haven't actually /completed/ a Station Contract in 0.90, but for the Fine Print contracts from the 0.25 mod, I assembled many stations in orbit for contracts.

For the purposes of Newness, the game considers any spacecraft that was built after the contract was accepted to be be "New." I haven't actually /completed/ a Station Contract in 0.90, but for the Fine Print contracts from the 0.25 mod, I assembled many stations in orbit for contracts.

Thanks for the Tip, Maltesh. I'll give it a go in a single launch and if I can't get something i'm happy with, i'll have a go at building it procedurally. Thanks :)

Here is a picture of the launch rocket and space station i made yesterday for my 0.90 career game. The Kerstein Station consists mainly of a laboratory and a crew can and some science stuff for good measure and of course the antenna not visible on the image. The launcher uses a skipper propelled main stage and 4 boosters for the launch. Another small stage does the final orbital insert and should suffice to send it to the Mun or Minmus.

kerstein_station_01.jpg

Here the station in orbit. The small stage for Mun/Minumus transfer is still attached. Note that this station was not primarely designed for the missions but it is sufficient (6 Kerbals including the laboratory, antenna). The stations weight is 7.1t (of course without the launch and transfer rocket).

kerstein_station_02.jpg

Edited by DocMoriarty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.