Artificial Gravity Station

Myslius

I always wanted to create artificial gravity station (AGS). Today have found some time to do that and I would like to share my work.

The goal was to build whole station with interior, capable of generating 1G.

Here's the results, a ring shape space station:

By rotating this station you can generate artificial gravity and literally drive inside the station:

Station_Main.jpg

I've learned that you can't use standard rover with only wheels and electricity. Artificial gravity in KSP doesn't work that way. You need to attach some kind of engine. I've used RCS to do the job. Also, you can't steer with wheels, it's strange but steering doesn't work as supposed to. To bypass that, you need to attach RCS trusters for steering (left and right in front of the rover). The end result is quite good, and it's possible to drive inside the station (when artificial gravity is on) without any problems. Heres how the garage and rovers looks like:

Garage.jpg

What kind of station without food :D, here you can see a kitchen:

Kitchen.jpg

I know, you probably will say:

A kitchen in KSP? :D You must be mad... Yes, a bit mad.. At the end I've tried to generate maximum G. The station was spinning like crazy (but didn't crash):

20_G_Station.jpg

A total of 20G was generated. The station barely stood alive. The floor split into pieces: (Notice: accelerometer is attached to the rover to measure G forces):

G_Test.jpg

Over all, I had a great time streaming today: http://www.twitch.tv/myslius

Unfortunately twitch didn't save my stream. Well, you can enjoy the pictures ;)

Also, i can confirm that kerbals can't walk in artificial gravity, they just roll around. I hope this bug gets fixed soon, so that people can enjoy AGS.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask ;)

Peace out.

Edited by Myslius
i hate vBulletin

Download http://www.filedropper.com/mysliusags

Version:0.24

Parts:700+

Non-Stock

I will redo it for 0.90, stock only, one way or another. Here's the thing, I've added 3x3 structuralPanel to it. Why? Because it's not good to have a height of the ceiling as 2, it must be 3. When the height=2, kerbals might hit the lamp on the ceiling with their heads while driving a rover and die. Even if i keep the rover low, it might still happen. Also camera control is way harder with height=2. I could make height=3 from stock parts, but i'm afraid that the part count might reach 1000. I could make this station smaller in radius, just to reduce the part count, but, station won't be that round. A dilemma.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.