Elon Musk Plays KSP! ...also looks like SpaceX logos at least are in future KSP

Meecrob

Elon Musk did an AMA and this was posted. Rowsdower and Maxmaps comment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2rgsan/i_am_elon_musk_ceocto_of_a_rocket_company_ama/cnfpnzv

Edit:[–]RowsdowerKSP 174 points 2 hours ago

Max and I are currently freaking out like girls at a Backstreet Boys show in 1999.

Edited by Meecrob

[–]NeilJHopwood

Any chance of an official SpaceX mod for Kerbal Space Program?

[–]RowsdowerKSP

KSP CM here. So far, an official one is not in the cards, but if we had the opportunity to work with SpaceX on one, we'd do it in a heartbeat.

Where did you read about the decals?

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/coming-soon-spacexs-elon-musk-how-move-mars-n280311

In other news, Musk says he sleeps an average of six hours a night. And he thinks that the Kerbal Space Program simulation software is "awesome"  in fact, he acknowledged that SpaceX uses KSP for testing software.

That's another feather in the cap for the developers of Kerbal Space Program, which was honored as NBC News' Geek Gift of the Year in 2013.

Elon Musk did an AMA and this was posted. Rowsdower and Maxmaps comment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2rgsan/i_am_elon_musk_ceocto_of_a_rocket_company_ama/cnfpnzv

Edit:[–]RowsdowerKSP 174 points 2 hours ago

Max and I are currently freaking out like girls at a Backstreet Boys show in 1999.

I wonder if they use stock aero, NEAR, or FAR...

In other news, Musk says he sleeps an average of six hours a night. And he thinks that the Kerbal Space Program simulation software is "awesome"  in fact, he acknowledged that SpaceX uses KSP for testing software.

That's another feather in the cap for the developers of Kerbal Space Program, which was honored as NBC News' Geek Gift of the Year in 2013.

We're on the rise.

Well the thing is most of the stuff KSP is capable of addressing is stuff that's easy (well, easy by rocketry standards). Orbital manouvres, launch profiles, sizing of stages and payload, even how to handle an engine cutting out during ascent.

The hard parts are engine design, turbopump machinery, structural design of the rocket, electronics and computer systems -and none of that is simulated by KSP. (Well, structural design is, but really badly by engineering standards).

KSP could be useful in the early brainstorming phases of design, letting you quickly try out stuff. It would also certainly work to do quick CGI visualisations for the marketing and outreach side of things. But no more really, and even for those early phases other tools will be better. Why fly individual candidate Mars trajectories, for example, when you can have a computer search the space of possibilities and tell you the good ones automatically?

To be fair, it looks like Elon Musk simply said that "Kerbal is awesome", which doesn't necessarily mean he plays it himself. It only indicates that he's familiar with it and likes it. ;)

True, but I bet you people like Elon Musk and himself that have that money only work 3 or 4 hours a day if they want to... I reckon he plays it :D

True, but I bet you people like Elon Musk and himself that have that money only work 3 or 4 hours a day if they want to... I reckon he plays it :D

On the contrary, I bet one of the reasons he has money is that he works all the hours he isn't sleeping. The idle rich are typically the ones who inherit their money, not the ones who make it.

At a recent interview (I think October 2014?) he was asked how many hours he works per week. While I forgot what exactly his answer was, it went something along the lines of: "Not as much as I used to... only about 80 to 100 hours per week these days." Also, in the same Reddit AMA this topic references, he was asked if he ever sleeps. He responded that he measures his sleeping habits with his smartphone, and that it turns out to be fairly close to six hours per night.

If he works 98 hours a week, because that's so nicely divisible by 7, that's 14 hours of work every day, Monday through Sunday. Plus 6 hours of sleep per night, that's 20. So he has about 4 hours of time every day that is defined as "not working or sleeping". And that doesn't yet include activities such as showering (which he pointed out as his most important daily habit), eating dinner with the family (he is married with children), keeping up with his social circle etc...

Now compare that to the average joe's "crushing" 40 hour workweek and weep :P Elon Musk is an utter workaholic. Maybe he could decide to only work 3 or 4 hours a day, but he won't. He has an inherent need to push, push, push everything forward, relentlessly. None of his ventures would have gotten to where they are now if he was a different man.

Part of the reason SpaceX has been so successful at something as complicated as spaceflight is because Elon demands the same fanatical work ethic from his employees. It's also the reason that the company has an incredibly high turnover rate. SpaceX attracts many of the brightest young minds, but they are worked so hard that often they burn out within one or two years.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.