I have a dream for contracts / career

I like It...

The other day it was mentioned the Challenges Forum here was the way to extend the game past the storyline.

Which had me wondering if the couldn't be a web tool to write contract mod files. Then as well as posting a challange you could post a contract file to go with it. Which would also work for your idea of making personnel challenge files.

Though to me it sounds more like a Grants program instead of Commercial Contracts?

You write a grant. ie Where your going to go what your going to do while there, how much in seed funds you need to get off the ground.

Then a formula in the computer that decides the overall value then break that up and make you an offer you can accept or reject. (Just like a government department but much much faster)

You couldn't just be a free to write your own contract but still most space programs in the world today run on grants not contracts so why not have an option in KSP.

I guess for balance if you set your seed funding to high for the overall value you might get knocked back or knocked down.

Seeing your writing your own mission then the penalties should be higher than normal contracts and the time frames much tighter.

Still could be a way to get back to the fun when you get stuck in contract grind.

This is similar to what I had envisioned for contracts as well. KSP, at it's core, should be about player choice. So, here were my thoughts.

First, when starting a career, you would be asked whether you would like a guided tutorial. Everyone on the forums can skip this next part.

The current contract system is tailor made for a linear, guided tutorial, teaching new players the basics of the game, perhaps up until interplanetary travel. The contracts would be step by step at first, branching out with different options as you approached your first fatefully flight out of Kerbin's SOI.

Completing this tutorial would basically throw you into end game content, which would open up the proposal system, much as described in the original post.

You would use drop down menus to submit a proposal. Orbits, landings, science gathering, etc. Based on your rep, the proposal would be accepted or declined. As you prove yourself, your rep would increase, more difficult proposals would be accepted, bringing you higher rewards.

I think we're on the same track with this. Though, it seems such a far cry from what Squad are doing at the moment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.