[Showcase] Show Me Your Cargo Bays (aka How'd You Pack THAT in There?) Post Ur Mk2 and Mk3 Cargoes!

inigma

With the proliferation of crafts with cargo bays, and Squad's upcoming aerodynamics model changes making cargo bays useful to cut drag for lifting cargo, what have YOU designed to fit snugly in a cargo bay?

If you have subassemblies to share those would be great too!

Here's my favorite cargo: the Orbital Fuel Pod. Standalone or attachable to stations.

Hj0aInR.png

uvEaM5e.png

Well, I use a standard fuel tank assembly for a few versions now, and it's awesome. Let's face it: you never have enough storage space, and you are always expanding:

xIyK4ms.png

WViseE4.png

So it's nice that they can dock with themselves in different configurations, plus they can be grabbed with MMUs to move around. 11 parts total.

So that kind of gives me a yardstick to design stuff, a standard size to work with. Given that, the other day I put this together for the Dao:

EK955kl.png

A nuke stage, plus a lander with 3km/s on its own. The nuke stage gives it an additional 3km/s.

And then there is the big payload project: my base pack! I am very, very close to updating it, too. Most of the things are designed to be just as big as a half orange tank capped by docking ports, so they fit snugly in the bay of the new Eagle (that's the old one though, I have reworked it for the nth time to take advantage of the gizmos, now it is even more compact and good-looking, with less parts). Either that, or they can fit sideways in the bay, which works out slightly bigger than a crew can:

HPmC3lR.png

I don't have many pictures on that, tough. Photo ops for the brochure are currently ongoing on Mun! In the meantime, I'm having loads of fun:

60gMGwy.png

Fwfaqfa.png

Rune. Tomorrow will be upload day, I think. I think.

I am in the final stages of tweaking and testing my space shuttle. I just need a challenging complicated cargo to show off in a video. Anyone care to make a cool looking stock full mk3 cargo package subassembly that I could attach into an empty mk3 cargo bay? No limits. Would prefer if it filled up the entire bay. Be creative. :)

Edited by inigma

Those... are very clever... Does leaving the nukes inside make it easier to handle during takeoff?

Right now, payload bays serve no other purpose than aesthetics and providing attachment space, everything inside still produces drag and stuff, if that's what you are talking about. That of course is supposed to change when the new aerodynamic model gets here. But that is only an example payload on a SSTO that is not meant to go further than LKO, of course. Maybe you thought the nuke stage was for pushing the Dao?

Rune. That would be horribly inefficient... but doable.

The Voyager I, which recently visited Eve and Gilly (and is now stuck at Moho awaiting the arrival of a tanker), is hiding two huge cargo bays in its central fuselage.

screenshot91.png

The fore cargo bay holds a science lab and the most compact three-person lander I've ever designed. Had a lot of fun with that one.

screenshot93.png

screenshot95.png

The aft cargo bay carried a probe rack with seven tiny drop probes, each with a tiny engine capable of entering Eve's atmosphere and a parachute that can take it safely to the surface.

screenshot81.png

screenshot84.png

screenshot89.png

screenshot90.png

Oh my god, it's full of probes! I do hope I get to take them out in the planned order.

I had to change the packing arrangement after taking the VAB screenshots, bonus points for spotting the two problems (good thing I tested unloading).

dyCiTjC.jpg

vnHkMUM.jpgzwdZK5m.jpgGcZc7Vy.jpg

The aft cargo bay carried a probe rack with seven tiny drop probes, each with a tiny engine capable of entering Eve's atmosphere and a parachute that can take it safely to the surface.

Seriously one of the cooler things I've seen! It's like a carton of eggs! I've sent so many individual ships up holding one or two probes at a time (one mounted to each end of the cargo bay..) NEVER thought about a system like that!

Do you have that as a sub-assembly download somewhere?

I'll echo everyone else's comments, I love the Eve probe packaging Abacus!

And now for something completely different in a cargo bay...

t7xi7YU.jpg

VTOL engine cluster. Useless in stock aero (although cool looking) but completely necessary in FAR where aerodynamic stress will rip your engines off if you don't shield them.

• 2 weeks later...

STS Service Module:

9bosfuL.png

:)

A Kanadarm (IR, Tweakscale), KAS Containers, a Mk2 Crew Module for additional Kerbals, two xonight Hercules Mk 8 MMUs, a dish, and a docking port. Single subassembly (a trade secret).

Edited by inigma

Ok, maybe not the most imaginative cargo, but probably very similar to what many others pack in there... all what you need for biome-hopping to gather all the science.

9wRthp5.jpg

It's a side view on this SSTO - I liked the twinhull-sideways-cargobay design.

rdPK4Ny.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.