A little Jool mission

Avesenchai

156cyv8.png

Our story begins with Jebediah and Bill boarding this spaceplane. Its planned mission is to fly to low Minmus orbit, where it will dock with a tug that will carry it to Leythe. The 'boosters' on the wingtips will be dropped during the trip to Minmus. It uses Infernal Robitics hinges on its side engines, and can land in water on Kerbin and vertically take off from water. But it can also do horizontal takeoffs/landings, which will be useful on Leythe's ice caps.

Mods used

-TAC Life Support

-Infernal Robotics

-Chatterer

-Deadly Reentry

-NEAR

-TweakScale

-Karbonite

-MKS

214p5pe.jpg

Standing by to launch!

35k2xw6.jpg

Liftoff!

a59erm.png

Going faster!

215sgh.jpg

The first (of many) things I will leave behind - the booster jet engines. Now the booster rocket engines are firing.

2rhsaaa.png

Upper atmosphere, jet engines are no longer useful at this speed.

2lvo653.png

Only a small burn will be needed to circularize the orbit.

Jeb and Bill have gotten to low Kerbal orbit. So far, so good!

- - - Updated - - -

2m6wy2q.jpg

Now Jeb and bill are flying toward Minmus, and planning a corrective maneuver.

34rfyp4.png

Discarding the boosters (which also contain spare life support). The vehicle will need to complete the maneuver using its RAPIER engine.

n19yqx.png

Planning an orbital rendezvous. This is going to be MUCH closer on life support than I had planned - Bill and Jeb will be nearly out by the time they get an intercept with the mothership. If they don't make it on the first pass, they are in trouble. But it looks like this will work (barely).

- - - Updated - - -

a4n8l5.jpg

Now we are docked with the tug. Ok, "tug" is a little bit of an understatement. It had a crew of nine before docking, and enough life support to last the crew of (now 11!) for the trip to Jool and back. It has a DRY weight of over 550 tons. It will need to refuel on Minmus' surface.

28v6lh5.png

This was its launch configuration.

vr6k9z.png

This image shows the (now-discarded) drop tank+booster stage, and gives a better view of the lander vehicle and rover.

f3ysz7.png

Top view in the VAB.

2mc6l2d.png

Moving in for a landing on Minmus. Once on Minmus' surface, the vehicle will mine for more fuel, to power the long voyage to Jool.

9iwxds.png

I notice I miscalculated the life support recyclers, so I'll have to do a third launch to get a small payload to Minmus' surface. I also put a bit of spare RCS fuel in the package.

244v5g6.jpg

Docking is rather awkward; I have to put in this little package in between the plane and the tug.

f0dtaw.png

The plane and helper have to dock while both are on a suborbital trajectory going straight up, and then redock with the main ship.

28rfyfn.png

Fortunately, Jeb manages to pull off the docking.

2uqouhf.png

Now, the crew waits on Minmus - both for the ship to refuel, and for a proper launch window to arise.

iqzuko.png

But that's when I notice another problem... The plane stage's VTOL engines are misaligned (I think it might be a glitch in the game, or maybe one of the mods I am using). For whatever reason they are down and to the right of where they should be. It's no longer going to be safe to put Jeb and Bill down on Leythe using this vehicle. Will that stage of the mission have to be cut? Whatever I do, I have to do it quickly, while the launch window is still open!

Edited by Avesenchai

xc7qkm.png

I detach the wings from the defective plane, and make a new plane. It will fly, uncrewed, into Laythe orbit and meet the larger ship there.

2505p3c.png

It flies!

eqy2s0.png

Now in orbit, it will make a burn direct to Jool

28v7e55.png

Two of its booster engines are dropped...

bj8jo2.png

Finishing up the burn. It will still need to do a small inclination burn later on.

wbffbs.jpg

Back to the main ship, it is now lifting off from Minmus, and discarding some unneeded equipment. Newdin looks rather cheerful.

e6379j.png

Dropping down to an elliptical orbit to take advantage of the Oberth effect...

ie2maq.png

And this is my trajectory. This vehicle will also need an inclination burn.

2ywdfrp.png

sfjijb.png

The vehicles after their respective inclination burns. Looks like both will make it to Jool!

screenshot48.jpg

Approaching Jool with the mothership first (it launched later, but because I didn't get the most efficient trajectory, it'll arrive sooner than the plane)

screenshot49.jpg

Entering Jool's atmosphere for an aerocapture.

screenshot50.jpg

screenshot52.jpg

I'm freaking out, afraid my ship will break in two. Newdin doesn't seem worried, though.

screenshot53.jpg

Coming in for a second aerobraking pass. A moon, probably Laythe (thanks DMSP :D) is visible in the background.

screenshot56.jpg

I'll need to perform a 312.7 DV maneuver to get a Pol intercept, but before I do, I start moving food around in my food containers...

screenshot57.jpg

...So that I can jettison the mostly empty ones before I perform the maneuver.

screenshot58.jpg

I only use a small amount of thrust at first, to make sure the empty food canisters bounce harmlessly to the side.

screenshot59.jpg

A Pol intercept!

screenshot61.jpg

Planning my Pol orbital circularization

screenshot62.jpg

Shepzor on an EVA, to gather up materials study and mystery goo data so that the modules can be cleaned up before we enter low Pol orbit.

screenshot64.jpg

Burning to circularize Pol orbit

screenshot65.jpg

We're getting close!

screenshot66.jpg

A landing!

screenshot68.jpg

Unfortunately, one of the lander legs broke off during the landing, from a structural failure. Two others are damaged, but Bill should be able to repair those. Luckily, there are spare lander legs, so the mission should still be viable.

screenshot70.jpg

Shepzor collecting a surface sample from Pol's Highlands biome. The ship will wait here on Pol while it refuels - it'll take off from Pol when we are a couple weeks away from a decent launch window for returning to Kerbin.

screenshot72.jpg

Meanwhile, the Laythe flier is nearing Jool's SOI.

screenshot75.jpg

Aerocapture into a low but elliptical Jool orbit.

screenshot77.jpg

It'll take a few orbits to get a decent alignment with Laythe, but that's fine.

screenshot84.jpg

Approaching Laythe!

screenshot87.jpg

Aerocapture!

screenshot88.jpg

This is the orbit I wind up in. With a tiny adjustment, it can wait here until the mothership arrives.

screenshot90.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the mothership, Bill is fixing the lander legs, at least the ones that can be fixed.

screenshot91.jpg

Bill stops to enjoy the view before getting back into the crew cabin.

screenshot3.jpg

Before I leave Pol, I decide to test the lander to make sure it works even when missing a leg (Pol is a good place for this, since if the lander topples over and can't get back to orbit, the mothership can still come down to rescue - though that would probably mean aborting the Vall and Tylo phases of the mission).

screenshot4.jpg

Lander about to de-orbit. Jool and its inner moons visible in the background.

screenshot5.jpg

The lander's trajectory after the de-orbit maneuver.

screenshot6.jpg

Getting closer!

screenshot7.jpg

Looks like it's going to be a soft landing

screenshot8.jpg

screenshot9.jpg

Easy does it...

screenshot11.jpg

Shepzor collecting a surface sample. But we still don't have a surface sample, materials bay, or mystery goo from Pol's Lowlands biome.

screenshot12.jpg

Shepzor decides to go for a drive.

screenshot34.jpg

In the microgravity environment, with its stability system, the rover can perform some crazy stunts. It can actually use its RCS thrusters to fly under its own steam, but this flight is just because it hit a bump in the terrain while driving forward.

screenshot36.jpg

Shepzor reports his success in reaching Pol's lowlands!

screenshot37.jpg

Now to drive back to the lander.

screenshot86.jpg

The rover hits another bump on the way back.

screenshot92.jpg

Back to the lander.

screenshot93.jpg

The rover has to use its RCS thrusters to re-dock with the lander. The PLAN is that on higher gravity moons, the rover will still be able to dock because the lander will 'sag' in the middle from the gravity. But just in case that doesn't work out, the rover has a couple of emergency sepratrons to give it an upward boost.

screenshot94.jpg

The lander returns to orbit, with plenty of fuel to spare.

screenshot95.jpg

Getting an intercept with the mothership.

screenshot97.jpg

Docking is a bit of a hassle because the mothership is too heavy to easily rotate

screenshot99.jpg

But I'm able to get everything aligned.

screenshot100.jpg

Success!

screenshot101.jpg

I discard more food containers. These ones are mostly full, but they won't be needed since the long waiting periods of the mission are over. I have 1670 days of food left in the rest of the ship. That SHOULD be enough to explore the Jool system, then either return home or wait for a rescue (depending on how things go...)

screenshot103.jpg

Next stop, Laythe!!!

screenshot105.jpg

After the burn, I discard some unneeded engines and tanks.

4imxro.png

For some reason when I click the blue part of my path, I can't plan any more maneuvers. That's ok, I'm close enough that I can perform any correction after I get inside Laythe's SOI.

sytbiq.png

Shepzor on EVA, picking up data.

2u4lt2o.png

I lose a tiny bit of velocity in the atmosphere, but most of my capture has to be done with engines.

30wv6ma.png

I wind up orbiting retrograde relative to the plane. It would take an infeasible amount of delta-V to equalize the inclination of our orbits using a burn.

2pypah0.png

Luckily, it's a plane, and can change its orbit by visiting the atmosphere for a while. It can also collect mystery goo and materials study from the "flying" situation in Laythe.

16hkcja.png

Now the orbits are on approximately equal planes.

slnpjp.png

A conservative aerobrake to help give the two ships more similar eccentricity.

2efsrk6.png

Sherbles deposits an EVA report from Laythe's upper atmosphere, obtained near the end of an aerobraking pass (he's a little crazy, it would seem!)

214objt.png

The spaceplane performs a burn to rise up to an orbit that matches the mothership.

2wqu36d.png

And there is the intercept!

4tr9yx.png

This is a particularly awkward sequence of docking events - Jeb and Bill will have to temporarily detach, in order to free up a docking port for the spaceplane.

2igyatj.png

Coming in to dock!

2nm3wh2.png

And the docking is successful! This will allow refueling, and allow me to clean out the materials bay and mystery goo.

znadcg.png

Newdin transfers over to the spaceplane. Unfortunately, unlike the original design, this one only seats one. So Bill won't set foot on Laythe. Nor will he be able to repack the parachute.

2jezbqw.png

Jeb and Bill re-dock with the mothership.

14447s4.png

Gliding along. The idea here is to land in the ocean very close to the southern ice cap.

33z8fwj.png

Parachutes deployed! Newdin will need to fire the jets slightly retrograde in order to soft-land in the ocean. Also, the booster rocket will need to be dropped.

200wrk0.png

Newdin can collect a surface sample of the ocean while standing on the platform.

21lr447.png

Now he's flying toward the southern ice cap.

2lkuy43.png

The water-landing stage needs to get dropped for a horizontal landing on the ice cap.

20paru1.png

Newdin collecting an ice cap surface sample

2hmga50.png

Newdin gets ready for takeoff!

ngyp7l.png

Because the mothership isn't orbiting on a polar orbit, Newdin needs to fly for a while before he gets to a sufficient latitude to be on the same orbital plane as the mothership.

34xj8mo.png

Eventually, the air gets to be too thin for the RAPIER engine to operate in air-breathing mode. So Newdin switches it to closed-cycle, allowing him to rocket to orbit!

xm1ywx.png

Planning an intercept

of51j9.png

The spaceplane is too low on RCS fuel and electricity for a docking to be likely, so instead Newdin will carry his surface samples over to the mothership on an EVA. This unfortunately means Laythe's other biomes won't be explored this mission. Oh well.

qzjdif.png

Newdin spacewalking to the mothership. His abandoned spaceplane is visible in the background, along with Laythe, Jool, and another moon (probably Vall).

15owf43.png

Newdin makes it back and boards the ship, after depositing his samples in the top cockpit.

2rgi2e1.png

Next stop: Vall!

2mfnigy.png

Firing up the engines to go to Vall!

pqeyc.png

The lander separates, with Sherbles onboard.

106ask5.jpg

Sherbles is coming in fast!

23huc7n.jpg

Slowing down to land...

2qmjbqu.png

Sherbles manages a flawless landing!

16102l2.png

For science!

1zw287o.png

Driving on Vall isn't quite as crazy as driving on Pol, but it's a decent way to get to a second Biome.

9up0eq.png

The landing site wasn't a great choice - it's a long drive to get to the midlands biome. But eventually the rover gets there and collects the data.

35mffhs.png

Sherbles plants a flag

xfdm6v.png

Nice view of Jool and Laythe overhead

9kytfc.png

Oh no! Sherbles hits a bump going a little too fast, and flips into the air, breaking three out of his four wheels upon landing. He'll have to drive the remaining distance using only one wheel.

uakgl.png

Sherbles drives carefully the rest of the way back. If that last wheel breaks, it will leave his friends in orbit with a terrible decision - they could attempt to land the mothership to rescue him, but the mothership might or might not explode from landing on a mid-gravity world like Vall. If he at least gets a little closer first, he might be able to use the sepratrons and RCS thrusters to fly the rest of the way.

2r6jo7q.png

Fortunately, none of that proves necessary

noanfb.png

The rover can reattach to the lander

2zs0kk6.png

And take off into Vall orbit

303gxlk.png

Docking is a bit of a pain

2j8hev.jpg

Bill fixes up the damaged rover wheels

dwastk.png

Next stop: Tylo!

mija0z.png

Tylo intercept!

2e0sraq.png

Inserting into Tylo orbit

73jpn6.png

Jeb separates from the mothership to deorbit the lander

wi8plg.png

This is going to be the toughest landing of the mission

30csya0.png

But Jeb is the right Kerbal for the job, he pulls it off flawlessly. Discarding two lander engines during descent was part of the mission plan.

swsjkz.png

Rolling along Tylo's surface to find another biome

xlwaiv.png

It's over a 10 km drive, but Jeb finds a suitable place to take another surface sample.

24y7436.jpg

Jeb planting a flag on Tylo

2mgs6qr.png

Reuniting with the lander!

2vi1d3p.png

Jeb is able to redock with the lander!

2u5wbqo.png

The remaining fuel in the descent stage is used to give the vehicle and upward boost, then it discards the lander stage, flips around upside-down, and fires up its remaining engine to circularize its orbit.

2uigndl.jpg

Joolrise

2vae4c0.png

Nearing an intercept with the mothership...

2pocxm9.png

Once Jeb kills his velocity relative to the mothership, he discards the engine and tank, and has to perform the rest of the docking maneuver using RCS thrusters only.

11qi6ms.png

A successful docking!

2qsxe0p.png

The next stop will be at Bop. Escaping from Tylo will be easy because I left the mothership in an elliptical orbit around Tylo and am performing the escape burn at periapse.

2rogrpf.png

Performing the burn to get away from Tylo

28i3fkn.png

Planning a Bop intercept

dmxnx0.png

A transit of Laythe

de8zrc.png

Planning to enter Bop orbit

314oxu9.png

Firing up the engines!

2i8jbbt.png

The science processor, crew quarters, and life support recyclers are left behind in Bop orbit. Hopefully, this will make landing easier. Bop has very low gravity, but still higher than Pol, so anything I can do to make the landing easier is a good idea. The fuel mining module, main power reactor, main fuel tanks and main engine will go down to the surface of Bop! In total, the parts left in orbit weigh 92 tons, and the parts that will (hopefully) soft land weigh 424 tons - though they'll weight a little bit less by the time it lands, since landing will require some fuel.

21lsork.png

This looks like an ok landing site.

29vjkph.png

Flying close over the surface of Bop

s6lhds.png

Managing the descent carefully

2le6hqd.png

And then cut the engines just over the surface

2qtbuqu.png

Collecting science data from Bop's valley biome

io2aec.png

Shepzor on an EVA

2pri3pi.png

Launching towards the poles biome

wsuyqg.png

Descending toward the pole.

dlncpi.png

Safely landing

11v5fkm.png

Another EVA

2vb64gw.png

We can get the science data, but there are no minable raw materials here that we can convert to fuel! We'll have to find another landing site - hopefully before we use up our little bit of remaining fuel.

f2phty.png

So we fly to another landing site.

mht3qo.png

Landing with Jool and its inner moons visible in the background

1zz3jh4.png

Uh oh. No fuel here either. We have enough fuel left for one more takeoff+landing, if we don't waste any.

2ltlpty.png

Success! We found a deposit. Now, we can sit back and drill for resources, which we can then refine into fuel. Unfortunately, this isn't a very rich deposit - the process takes almost 60 days. That means the 'good' launch window for a return to Kerbin has probably closed. Fortunately, with this much fuel, it isn't a huge worry. The mission plan called for discarding the mining module (along with those two remaining materials studies and mystery goos) before taking off, and using then using RCS thrusters to re-dock the lander can. But that won't work, because I used up all the RCS fuel on repeated landings. I'll have to dock with the ship I left in orbit, and use some RCS fuel from it.

t632fq.png

After several unsuccessful docking attempts, I discard the still partly full side fuel tanks on the mothership, to try and make docking easier.

23w08e0.png

I have to break the orbiter into two pieces to finally get it to dock.

2e14qch.jpg

The mining module is discarded, and Jeb uses the remaining RCS fuel to redock with the ship (with 5 units of RCS fuel to spare)

2zqgdud.png

Plotting a course home

2j3m93c.jpg

Farewell, Bop

ixzjmc.jpg

Farewell, Jool

23izc6u.png

The journey home was long, dark, and uneventful. I overbuilt my rocket, so I can afford to take a slightly weird route back.

nejm05.png

The Kerbals are eager to return home after so many years in space!

n6w8hs.png

Once the orbit is circularized, Sherbles and bill detach to approach Kerbin

2zpi0ds.png

Parachutes deploy

2vvkuph.png

Splashdown!

mhggt1.png

Sherbles and Bill are safely returned to KSC. The other Kerbals are still in orbit, inside a vehicle that was not designed for re-entry. The final step of this mission will be sending a vehicle to Kerbin orbit to retrieve them.

3147ck3.png

Danfrey will fly this mission to recover the Kerbals (and the Jool data) from low Kerbin orbit

xpoin4.png

Takeoff!

ejcyhe.png

The target is in a retrograde orbit, so there will be a bit more atmospheric flying than usual for an SSTO. Luckily, Danfrey has lots of extra liquid fuel.

vh5e6a.png

Gaining speed

9huyqe.png

Visual effects!

104m4ww.png

Switching the rapier engine to act as a rocket

wiq3hu.png

Danfrey costs up out of the atmosphere

2v7z21l.png

And sets up an intercept with his target

24ec1vc.png

There it is!

4jnih4.png

Newdin on an EVA over to the SSTO. All of the crew will need to go to it.

dwpd83.png

Jeb - the final crewman - gets ready to depart, leaving the spaceship behind after years. Some of the data went with Sherbles and Bill, but Jeb will need to carry the rest with him to the SSTO.

4g0yuh.png

A brief burn to de-orbit

r1yn90.pngR

Re-entry

if8y8g.png

Gliding down

25k5vk3.pngP

Parachutes deploy

2gxr4p4.png

An engine gets damaged during landing, but all the kerbals and data are fine.

1ggfp4.png

The mission as a whole yields a little bit less than 7k science - more than enough for me to research what is left of the tech tree. Additionally, Danfrey reached level 1, and every other kerbal reached level 5! Finally, the mission as a whole was quite profitable, fulfilling several high-value contracts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.