I want to get a custom computer

Caesar15

Hrm...not being able to build it (which is an easy to learn process) really hampers it all...I was going to post this too

March 2012: $650 Gaming PC

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-gaming-pc-overclock,3159.html

As for the Antec 900?

When that thing came out it was hailed as the best thing since sliced bread...and now, years later, its still one of the best cases out there. Glad to finally get my hands on one!

I think he\'s willing and able, since we started on that approach, the parents vetoed it on him, so he now has to deal with a larger cost

I\'ve built systems using the Antec 300, 600, 900, and 1200, and aside from the 300 and 600 being smaller, i\'ve had no complaints with any of them.

Okay i did it, i used the i3 like you said and added the cheapest monitor they had and 4 gb of ram, so that comes to $663.98 to be exact, so plus the cost of the graphics and power supply equals 880.96

Don\'t buy anything for below $1500 (a low estimate). You will be disappointed and you will also find that the use-value of such a computer is close to zero. You would buy something that won\'t work well for games like Shogun 2, something that\'s already outdated. What some people have posted for that price is worse than my 3+ year old rig, of which only the chassi retains its original value. To be very frank you just pay a lot of money for overpriced trash that\'s already old, and don\'t get the value (or performance) you look for.

Save your money until you can buy something that works, and that for a couple of years, and not something that works so-so from day 0 and a month on.

And if you really are serious about saving money you should build it yourself. It might seem a bit harsh for a beginner, but you don\'t get anywhere without an effort. The hard thing is to find components that fit together well, and that\'s what you need help with.

Don\'t buy anything for below $1500 (a low estimate).

\'

::)

Where do you live, Australia?*

Computers are no longer the insanely expensive machines they once were, and you can get a fine gaming machine for under a grand.

*Mad VAT tax and overpriced components due to outdated values of AUS dollar, shipping, etc

Even if VAT and other factors are accounted for I still get a minimum of about USD 1.4k .

I wouldn\'t settle for less than a GTX 670, an i7 processor, and 6-8 GB RAM.

I don\'t include a monitor or SSD-primary in the budget.

Don\'t buy anything for below $1500 (a low estimate). You will be disappointed and you will also find that the use-value of such a computer is close to zero. You would buy something that won\'t work well for games like Shogun 2, something that\'s already outdated. What some people have posted for that price is worse than my 3+ year old rig, of which only the chassi retains its original value. To be very frank you just pay a lot of money for overpriced trash that\'s already old, and don\'t get the value (or performance) you look for.

Save your money until you can buy something that works, and that for a couple of years, and not something that works so-so from day 0 and a month on.

And if you really are serious about saving money you should build it yourself. It might seem a bit harsh for a beginner, but you don\'t get anywhere without an effort. The hard thing is to find components that fit together well, and that\'s what you need help with.

You do realise that gaming rarely if ever fully occupies more than 2 cores? If your only planning to use the system for gaming, then having more than 2 cores is essentially wasted if they do not also bring a worthy speed increase.

If you can\'t put all four cores to effective use on a regular basis, you are essentially wasting your money on hardware you can\'t use effectively.

It simply isn\'t worth the cost if the budget is a concern, and gaming on a budget was the stated goal.

A good solid OEM build is VERY doable for $1500, if your willing to slice and dice where necessary. Before you write it off, do take a look at what can be done first. Put a serious effort in, it just might surprise you.

The whole concept that a system MUST cost over X amount to be useful is patently absurd. The hardware needs to be worth the cost, if it is, then it has value. Ever hear of the Raspberry Pi? I suppose everyone\'s retarded and its a useless waste of money at $35.

Bragging rights are one thing, effective use of limited resources are another entirely.

That all said, perhaps you\'d care to suggest a build he should have gone for. not merely I wouldn\'t settle for X, but a full up build, join the thread fully and put something on the table for us to see. Do recall the conditions he faces, and why. So far all i see is smug criticism that borders on elitism without any constructive input.

Okay i did it, i used the i3 like you said and added the cheapest monitor they had and 4 gb of ram, so that comes to $663.98 to be exact, so plus the cost of the graphics and power supply equals 880.96

If my parents agree i ll go with this, if they give em a bigger budjet then woot.

Anyway thank you to everyone for helping me so far and especially amram, couldt do what i have doen so far without you.

Two cores is a minimum, but if you want to run other programs in the background you will benefit from it even if you\'re a gamer only. And with the new consoles being heavily multi-core it also means that more games will be using more cores, also when ported or made for the PC. Four cores minimum is a must for any computer that is set to last for the next few years. And the cores also have to be good, that\'s why i7 is the only alternative. I\'m not saying that you should buy any enthusiast i7\'s like the Extreme editions (they are a waste of money), but the cheapest of the high-ends in the latest generation usually has the best value.

You can\'t get the best value components for less than USD 1500.

I completely understand the 'budget' constraint, and my opinion is that he shouldn\'t buy anything at all under those conditions. So I won\'t suggest a build, because there is none. He should save his money for a later time when he can buy something that lasts. That\'s what will benefit him the most. Otherwise he will just be able to play Shogun 2 (barely) for a while, then he quickly will be back in the same situation as before. The one and only real budget computer is a good one that holds for years and not for days or months. Buying three computers in three years is much more expensive than buying one and perhaps upgrading the GFX after 1.5 yrs.

Ah, I am planning to get this one and enjoy shogn 2 and other games, personally, I would love to har a 4 core i7, but I just can\'t, I just want a 2 core i3, I can\'t think shogun 2 or other games will swipe that much. CPu from me, in the future I ll upgrade it, but right now I am going I discuss the budjet with my parents.

I have never had a completely 'state-of-the-art' computer, which is why I can recognize that my computers are not the best ever, but they do serve me well for most games and I can appreciate them for what they do.

I spent $539 on a refurbished Gateway desktop a few years ago and yes, it was already outdated. However, it still is far better than anything I have had previously and expanded my potential games library by a thousandfold over my previous computer. If given the choice, I would buy it again. Nothing else in that price range came close.

I\'m not entirely sure if you understand this point of view, Radsoc.

It\'s May.

If you\'re going to get it around xmas, prices will have dropped, new equipment will have been released, etc. etc.

Don\'t buy anything yet :o

Around christmas, prices go up because people buy more, so the sellers can make a profit.

It\'s May.

If you\'re going to get it around xmas, prices will have dropped, new equipment will have been released, etc. etc.

Don\'t buy anything yet :o

not even that, entire lines of hardware will come and go, and much of the build will be irrelevant, and so much more power can be had for the same money.

Come the end of the year the Radeon 8xxx series is expected to be ready to launch, and wihle I don\'t know whats on the horizon for nVidia off hand, you can bet they too will have a new shiny expensive cards out in time for christmas.

the result of a new card hitting the market is almost always the exact same. every card below it moves one step to the left, cheaper, and the bottom end ceases to be. prices vary a little. it might be a bit more expensive to buy the card that now occupies the space, but it will bring much more power than that small increase in price.

Computers move quickly, if you are waiting 7 months or so to buy, don\'t lock in just yet, take another look when you get there. AMD pulled a rabbit out of the hat when they launched Athlon, i don\'t know their plans, but its not impossible for them to retake the performance crown(but very unlikely), ATI(.....really just a division of AMD now) and nVidia are currently fairly closely matched, it might be very lopsided by then with one clearly faster than the other.

The dell Inspiron 620 might not even be an option for sale by then.

point is, and Radsoc also stated this, altho I disagree about why he stated it, it is still true. Computers move very quickly, and the balance of price, performance, leader and loser changes often, and sometimes by a lot.

this wasn\'t a wasted exercise, you have ideas, plans, and a goal in sight, now just to review in 6 months and see what has/should be changed.

my favorite time of the year, boxing day!!!

Apparently if i get all A\'s for the last quoter of this school year i can get a computer for christmas, my dad was looking at some and he actually, believe it or not, said this seems nice, and pointed at a $1300 computer, i guess convincing him to go long term has increased the budget hugely, thanks for all your help everyone, but i am fine now, and hopefully will have a computer that can run shogun 2, and rome 2, with no problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.