Shuttles

Commander Jebidiah

Can you make a NASA style shuttle?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Can you make a NASA style shuttle?

So just one question to every one.

Can you make a shuttle with launch configuration similar to NASA.

I have a whole fleet of shuttles each doing a different job.

Columbia - Crew Transfer to and from LKO and GSO.

Challenger - light weight and small payloads to LKO and LMO

Enterprise - Hybrid of Challenger and Columbia only capable of Bringing light payloads to LKO

Endeavour - Heavy and longer payloads to LKO only.

Atlantis - 10 crew rescue shuttle, Untested

Edited by Commander Jebidiah

I have a whole fleet of shuttles each doing a different job.

Columbia - Crew Transfer to and from LKO and GSO.

Challenger - light weight and small payloads to LKO and LMO

Enterprise - Hybrid of Challenger and Columbia only capable of Bringing light payloads to LKO

Endeavour - Heavy and longer payloads to LKO only.

Atlantis - 10 crew rescue shuttle, Untested

Awesome.

BTW, I think you're missing Discovery. ;)

I actually made 2 NASA style shuttles. one for 2.5m parts and one for 3.75m parts

here's the 2.5m variant

and here's the bigger one. I finally was able to make it lift an 82t kerbodyne tank to orbit a few weeks back, so the album description is slightly outdated.

http://imgur.com/a/aUatk

Nice, but can you land it on the runway?

Nice, but can you land it on the runway?

I managed to land it in the desert and on grass. Haven't tried too hard yet to hit the runway (I usually mess up when and where to enter the atmosphere and end up somewhere completely else) but I don't see why it shouldn't be able to.

It took me many tries (and kerbal lives) to learn how to properly do it with stock parts, but these days I don't even have to spam reaction wheels and RCS thrusters to keep them stable during launch. It's the hardest and most frustrating thing I ever did in KSP, though. I wish there were properly gimballed engines.

Yes, but only with the crappy old mk3 parts, so I guess it's retired at the moment.

It's got the correct shuttle engine configuration. but I had to use liquid boosters because the solid boosters supplied with the game are pathetic. They effectively ran as solids though, it flew into space just fine with the throttle maxed out all the way to orbit.

It lacked a cargo bay because I never quite got the hang of building them out of structural panels, but it could carry quite a bit of weight stuck on top of the external tank, and had enough juice to carry a payload to the mun and still return home. It also had a working launch escape system, so in that regard it was better than the shuttle. :)

oyuYt5p.png

pXLCKLK.png

wTOvA39.png

IElzQwO.png

YFRUzMi.png

From http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108219-STS-1-Space-Shuttle-Intrepid-%28NASA-Replica-Easy-to-Load-Fly%29-Launch-Full-O-Y-Tanks-to-Orbit-WIP

STS-1 Space Shuttle Intrepid

Stock, can lift empty cargo bay, or fully locked and loaded orange and yellow tank to 200km orbit with ease, with only adjustments to fuel amounts from the bottom up needed to lift different weighted cargo. Noob friendly. 276 parts dry. Almost ready to publish craft file when video is done. Was aiming to design and build one of the most beautiful yet functional, and true to NASA form (except for liquid boosters to lift an orange tank payload) KSP space shuttles. My first. Mk3 large, with large cargo bay.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by inigma

Oh right, well I wrote this on my tablet and I'm pretty sure it's autocorrect has something wrong with it. Also this is the first time I've seen someone complain about someone elses grammar and this community is well known for not caring to much about grammar.

I'll edit it.

Also I've made the Discovery class Science Shuttle

WT5yJd9.png

Yep, and i have for a very long time, that was made with the first release of b9.

YOuAkNJ.jpg

Smaller shuttle, cool but pointless, same version of ksp.

That was 2 years ago according to imgur.... Is there an emoji for feeling old?

Edited by bs1110101

Yes I can make a shuttle but no I don't make them because there are so many better ways of doing anything in KSP.

Pretty much. Side-huggers increase part count for the lifter stage, thereby taking away part count from the payload. KISS.

And of course SSTOs are possible in KSP, so a shuttle-style launcher has most of the downsides of an SSTO but loses most of the efficiency benefits.

Lots of these shuttles that are being built aren't true nasa style. They are close, but not like the ones nasa makes

I've stayed out of this myself as I've never even attempted a TRUE NASA shuttle design.

I did sort of fake one up by putting tri-radial onion-style liquid fueled boosters around a small rocket-spaceplane. It put a glider in orbit but looked absolutely nothing like the Space Shuttle.

Although I support the concept of a re-usable low-cost-per-payload space vehicle, I've always been massively disappointed in the Shuttle for falling rather short of that lofty goal, and thus never even try to seriously make one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.