Craft fall through ground on grass near KSC

EDIT: I figured out the problem. My settings file was not updated from 0.25, and the max number of subdivisions on Kerbin was too high. Upon deleting and redownloading settings.cfg, the problem went away.

Whenever landing or driving on the flat ground near KSC (everywhere except the runway), crafts seem to have a danger of falling through the ground. When moving at >100m/s (even perfectly horizontally, or approaching the ground very gently), it is impossible to land, at least on the grassy area around the KSC. This turns many possible landings into crash landings if the runway is missed, even for resilient craft.

The hills and mountains behind the runway, and most areas of Kerbin, do not appear to have this issue.

Screenshots:

Craft begins to "land", falling through the ground:

8E3oq5M.jpg

Craft passes through ground before exploding:

ZKdFRye.png

Edited by TheLastMonkeylander

What's your Terrain Detail set to? Is this a purely visual issue? (i.e., under well controlled descent, can you land craft on the physical surface beneath the visible terrain)
My Terrain Detail is set to default. It doesn't appear to be a visual issue; craft fall below the terrain, and do not hit a physical surface, however after a few seconds they always explode no matter how slow the descent.

At speeds below 60 m/s, landing on the grassy area is usually possible without falling through the ground, and craft do land on the visible terrain. So the terrain is there, the collisions are just delayed with higher speeds.

This happens with both controlled landings, and crash landings. Land vehicles that constantly remain in contact with the ground also have a risk of falling through the ground.

Other areas of Kerbin do not seem to have this issue (I can land high-speed at the poles, in the hills, and on the runway--just not on the grass next to the runway).

EDIT: I figured out the problem. My settings file was not updated from 0.25, and the max number of subdivisions on Kerbin was too high. Upon deleting and redownloading my settings.cfg, the problem went away.

Edited by TheLastMonkeylander

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.