A sad story of flaps (XD)

ryan234abc

So I started off with a rocket ferrying 2 spaceplanes to laythe. on my burn toward the joolian system I get an encounter with duna. At first I decided to ignore it. But I soon realised id missed my optimum encounter time for jool by a few days. so, instead of restarting, I burnt retrograde and went back to the duna encounter. My spaceplanes (aries 4a with extra fuel and torodial aerospikes) seemed to be sufficient. however, these were the days when I knew little about much past the mun. I THOUGHT duna had an atmosphere, making planes flyable. however, the atmosphere is thin and provides little air resistance so, although a plane is flyable in duna atmosphere, slowing down to land becomes a little tricky. upon wheel contact with the surface the plane spun and was sent flying back up. I had hit the ground at no less than mach 1. My plane was surprisingly still intact to some extent. I decided against re-trying and used up quite a bit of fuel escaping duna and heading back for kerbin. I took some time to assess the damage. I had come out pretty much unscathed, but I had lost 3 of my 4 flaps, leaving me with only 1 on the right wing. I didn't have any fuel left, making an orbit impossible. I couldn't await rescue and I couldn't change course. I decided to lock the control on the single flap. I thought this would mean I wouldn't have uneven turning ability, making my plane harder to steer but less likely for me to put it into a flat spin. as I entered the atmosphere however the plane began to spin sideways. apparently locking up control didn't help. I tried to reactive the control but the plane was spinning to fast for me to select the buttons. 5000 feet. I attempted to use what was left of my rcs to straighten up the plane. 4000 feet. rcs runs out due to limited supplies and I was burning in the wrong direction anyway, making things worse. 3000 feet. I manage to reactivate pitch and this slows it down enough for me to unlock yaw as well. 2000 feet. I don't try to unlock roll. I speedily recorrect to the best of my abilities but I cannot break out of the spin. 1000 feet. I decide against bailing. I won't make it at this speed without protection. I decide to hope that the plane will hit the water back first and maybe the cockpit will survive. 500. 400. 300. Halgun kerman's face is a mask of terror. 200. 100. BANG. upon contact my plane is vaporized. I look at the mission timer. 11 years. 11 years of loneliness, out in the abyss of space, trying to reach home, to see another kerbals face. to be alone for that long, an incredibly lonely journey. and to survive all of that for nothing.

Remember. Kerbals aren't just expendable, dim creatures. Don't abuse your kerbals. LEARN TO PLAY THE GAME XDXDXDXDXD!!!!

Happy rocketing peeps.

Ryan:P

I got some good names. Best ever: dildorf. took me ages to get over the statement dildorf kerman. Through the magic of persistant editing you can call your kerbals whatever you want so ive had fun with that (swagman blazeit the first of many abominations XD)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.