Has anyone been able to build a lift system in stock KSP?

I've been trying to build my own launch tower with its own lift system using panels and wheels, but I can't seem to get the panel up to the top of the tower without it flipping and losing control.

Has anyone been able to build an elevator using stock parts yet or am I attempting the improbable?:huh:

elevators are not possible according to my knowledge, but there are ways to bend something (some people have made rather creative stock opening doors on aircraft). I guess you might be able to use such a device to lift something, but as of now, other then a VTOL, there is no real practical way of making elevators/lifts.

if you arent against mods, grab the robot parts, there are plenty of extenders/rotators ect there u could use for this.

You can do it with panels and landing legs, but I never managed to make it work well.

I had a two level carrier which lifted planes attached to a panel by a docking port up an elevator. It worked maybe a third of the time without clipping the gear through and either getting very stuck or breaking something.

You inspired me to try to build one. Yes, it's possible with stock! (but a bit hacky)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109632-Launch-tower-with-elevator-system?p=1715713#post1715713

AMAZING! But can it be done within the structural panels? I've been having one hell of a time building a launch tower elevator using stock parts that is stable and reliable. How good is the elevator you have built (stability wise)?

Edited by TeeGee

It's relatively stable , the only time it will become misaligned is at the top. The trick is to make sure that it always has something to push against on all four sides so that it can't fall out sideways. You could try with structural plates or with two open Mk2 cargo bays facing each other if you want an open design.

It's relatively stable , the only time it will become misaligned is at the top. The trick is to make sure that it always has something to push against on all four sides so that it can't fall out sideways. You could try with structural plates or with two open Mk2 cargo bays facing each other if you want an open design.

Well I built one that gets to the top BUT gets misaligned as it travels up or gets stuck somewhere. It is an open design and it is really irking me since hit detection for these parts in game is abysmal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.