Evangelion

SpaceXray

I have to say, this is one of the most grand anime movies I have ever seen. The plot is mysterious and psychological, the animation is just mind-blowing and the whole concept is just great.

Also, I really liked the opening sequence of Evangelion 3.0 (here: http://kotaku.com/5961064/watch-the-opening-minutes-of-evangelion-30-right-here) which was done really well, also in regards to spaceflight.

I really recommend you watch the 3 parts, if you want you can also try the original series, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Giant Mecha makes no sense to begin with, therefore we should probably just sit back and enjoy the ridiculousness of it. I suggest Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, by the same studio that made Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's like a retelling of NGE on Prozac AND a whirlwind tour of the entirety of giant Robot anime in one season.

In the last episode, one mech throws galaxies like throwing stars. If that doesn't get you to lighten up and learn to enjoy giant fighting robots, nothing will. :)

When mechs are REALLY REALLY big like that, and yet absurdly nimble, It breaks immersion for me. Even if they explain it away in the show itself, I just cant get into it.
They'd be spam in a can. If we ever had the tech to make such machines the last thing we'd do is put humans inside them.

I can't say too much without going some major spoiler territory, but you're looking at it the wrong way.

"oh no its an AT field"

watched the series as a teen and bought 1.11 & 2.22 so far. waiting on the 3.33 engligh dub.

Great show and not at all realistic:D . There not robots either there like giant cyborbs :) .Orgainic monstrosities covered in high tech armour & linked to the brain of a human.

I can't say too much without going some major spoiler territory, but you're looking at it the wrong way.

No, I've watched the original series, and a few of the movies. I get what they are saying, I just cant get past the unbelievability of it lol.

Same with Attack on titan, but I'll also avoid spoiler territory.

They're not made completely out of metal, they are just refurbished Angels with a mechanical restrain allowing humans at least some control over it. Note why they can't put any random person in there because the core will take full control and the human inside would be powerless.

Didn't it have something to do with the fact that:

The EVAs were genetically grown, artificial angels made from the DNA of the mother of the pilots?

Unless i missed something.

EDIT: Well, tried to spoiler tag something. Does BBCODE not have spoiler tags?!?

The EVAs were genetically grown, artificial angels made from the DNA of the mother of the pilots?

EDIT: Well, tried to spoiler tag something. Does BBCODE not have spoiler tags?!?

Yep, you're right about that. That is also why they can move so well.

Most people mistake them with 100% mechs, but actually they are a hybrid. Muscles work much faster than motors.

I always loved mechs don't get me wrong. Armored Core..

By far my favorite and is a major reason why I like ksp so much. I grew up watching Gundam Wing. I couldn't get enough. Its just that... I recoginize the improbability of them. Doesn't stop me from enjoying them. I tried Evangelion a few times. And I really couldn't get into it. I don't really like the organic theme of the mechs. I like a more mechanical look.

• 4 months later...
I always loved mechs don't get me wrong. Armored Core..

By far my favorite and is a major reason why I like ksp so much. I grew up watching Gundam Wing. I couldn't get enough. Its just that... I recoginize the improbability of them. Doesn't stop me from enjoying them. I tried Evangelion a few times. And I really couldn't get into it. I don't really like the organic theme of the mechs. I like a more mechanical look.

The creator of the Manga actually wanted them to be completely different from Gundam robots, since they were meant to be almost human creatures genetically, so he aimed for rounder, more curved shapes. The armor is for the purpose of armor and keeping the thing under control.

They are much more realistic than Gundams which apparently have unlimited fuel and flying capabilities. The 1st EVA's didn't even have an S²engine and needed a power cord basically which is probably also symbolically since they were not yet ready to act on their own and we're still underdeveloped children.

I have seen the original series in the past and especially enjoyed the originality of it all.

The beginning episodes were my favorite but the nearer I got to the ending, the more I disliked the psychological mind-screw stuff.

It left me almost as depressed as the characters themselves.

Can anyone tell me if the folowing series are any better in this regard 2.0,etc?

This forum requires the first spoiler to have an =InsertTitleHere in the first tag

That is how you do it.

I have seen the original series in the past and especially enjoyed the originality of it all.

The beginning episodes were my favorite but the nearer I got to the ending, the more I disliked the psychological mind-screw stuff.

It left me almost as depressed as the characters themselves.

The author was battling depression at the time he was making the show. Err at least so says TVTropes. But the whole things makes more sense if it is true, well in an "I know where the author was coming from" sort of way.

The author was battling depression at the time he was making the show. Err at least so says TVTropes. But the whole things makes more sense if it is true, well in an "I know where the author was coming from" sort of way.
Yes, I agree with this. Complaint mail about the TV series abstract ending, which also left various plot threads hanging, got to him, when developing the alternate "End of Evangelion" - a horrific bloodbath. That was a strong example of "be careful what you wish for." The early episodes are the best, turning every giant robot show that came before it on its head. Shinji is supposed to be the kid hero, but hates the whole situation. When he finally gets into Eva for a fight to save the day, he gets the unprepared tar beat out of him, and has to be pulled back.

One of the Gundams went for a more realistic approach to the effects of war, check out Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket.

My favorite show for "realistic" mecha is Patlabor: Mobile Police. The mechs need a huge work crew to maintain, and are hampered by physics (for the most part) and a short run-time. The TV series is a comedy, the movies get more serious.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.