Can you rotate the up/down/left/right axis for RCS on the MK1-2 pod?

Hi Guys,

I'm having a slight symmetry issue with the MK1-2 command pod and RCS.

Whats considered left, right up and down by the game seems to be defined by the command pod.

Let me try to explain what my problem is..:

The exit hatch on the MK1-2 pod is'nt exactly at a 22.5° angle to the left/right/up/down system in the game, so if i want to stick RCS pods with 4x radial symmetry on my spaceship, i have 2 choices:

Either one RCS pod is closer to the exit hatch than the next one, or i build it symmetrycal, and then the RCS system has to compensate by firing 2 nozzles at once. This is especially annoying if want to build a ship or lander with 4x radially attached tanks where i'd like to stick RCS pods to. If i build it symmetrical so i can put ladders in between the two tanks, the RCS pods have to fire in 2 directions. This is an issue since this reduces efficiency and wastes RCS fuel.

Looks like this:

IdjMgrM.jpg

(The arrows are RCS build helper showing which direction the RCS thrusters will fire if i'd want to go "up" for example)

Long story short: Can i rotate how up/down for the mk1-2 is defined? Maybe by editing the .cfg file?

Thanks

For these kinds of issues I generally stick a probe core in the ship somewhere so I can "control from here" with it.

Thats... Thats... Why didnt i think of this. *facepalm*

I'll try that.

Also for future reference requests for help go in the Gameplay Questions and Tutorials section.

Sorry. Wasnt sure exactly where this should go. T

Thanks!

I have had this problem before. With 0.90 it's super easy to resolve this by using the rotate gizmo on your thrusters. Here's how I do it:

* I avoid ever rotating the command pod (or probe core) inside the VAB -- I find it helpful to always have it properly aligned as it is when you first drop the part. Assume it is fixed and only move it up or down, but don't rotate it.

* Sometimes if you have stuff sticking out all over in different directions or different angles, it can help to make a simple throw-away reference frame. I made one out of girders and placed it below the command pod. You can use this to help align things when making rotations. When you're done, you can just remove it.

* Use the CoM indicator to place your thrusters, and then use your reference frame to rotate them the right way.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT: also note, that for this particular command pod the hatch is NOT related to the control axes at all. If you drop a fresh command pod in the VAB you will see the hatch is at an angle, but the pod itself is properly aligned - this is one reason why it is advisable to not rotate the command pod in the VAB at all, so you don't lose track of your axes of control.

Edited by Kelderek

...EDIT: also note, that for this particular command pod the hatch is NOT related to the control axes at all. If you drop a fresh command pod in the VAB you will see the hatch is at an angle, but the pod itself is properly aligned - this is one reason why it is advisable to not rotate the command pod in the VAB at all, so you don't lose track of your axes of control.
He's aware of that. His issue is the hatch is not aligned to an obvious, easy orientation relative to the pod axes (Hacki, you said "not at 22.5 degrees," but I'm not sure how 22.5 degrees is desirable either - that corresponds to 1/16 snap points. Did you mean 45 degrees for 1/8 snap points, halfway between the 4x points?). It looks to be about 30 degrees to me (would be 1/12 snap). What he wants is to put a ladder aligned with the hatch, and have it be halfway between the pods on that corner.

My usual ladder placement on those things is 30 degrees, and it's pretty much right. The interval on the "snap to" is every 15 degrees, so just having the radial tanks one "tick" over to the left should have the spacing correct, then just align your RCS thrusters to the axes.

Did you mean 45 degrees for 1/8 snap points, halfway between the 4x points?).

Yeah, i meant 45 degrees. Dont ask me why i wrote 22.5 ... I know full well that a quarter of a circle is 90° not 45°, but tell that to my feeble brain. Sometimes i make silly mistakes like that. Might be because it was late, too.

By the way, as it turns out, this is probably more of a problem with RCS build aid. I only became aware of the whole hatch / control axis offset after starting to use RCS build aid.

Unfortunately RCS build aid ignores the selected root part as basis for its calculations at the moment, so sticking a clampotron or a probe core on the craft and making that the root part doesnt help inside the VAB at the moment, only after the vehicle is launched.

See here for reference: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35996-0-90-RCS-Build-Aid-v0-5-5?p=1705155&viewfull=1#post1705155

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.