Image hosting question

lukeoftheaura

Good question, and it'd make my life easier if it was possible. It was tough to get the link to the photo in the first place (seems the Google+ walled garden doesn't like outsiders), but here's a test (using IMG tags):

And a test using the same image, but through the PicasaWeb "Share Photo" email-generated link:

So at first glance, no. The site is set up more to share posts than individual pictures. And all of the share links generated by Google for single photos seem to be links to the Photos "web app". Maybe there's another way to get hard-links to images? Not sure. Maybe there's another image embed tag specific to or better suited for G+?

Another attempt, link from right-clicking on image displayed full-size in the Photos app and copying the Image URL:

20150208_ksp0055_wrong.jpg

So that works, at least for me while logged into Google+. I'm not sure I'd trust that link to work for everyone, though, or even for another couple minutes. It appears to be a link directly to the CDN that's hosting the image (here in Houston from the looks of it). It's also not the full image, but the "thumbnail" (well, downsample) provided by G+. It at least answers the question of whether it can be done: Yes. Maybe.

At this point I'd suggest imgur.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

• 1 month later...

I would really like it if I could embed images directly from Google Drive (where I store most of my screenshots). Or if imgur worked better on tablets (so that I could insert the images into a google doc quickly while I'm drafting a chapter). Or if GIMP would remember my font settings for captions (so that I could caption photos reasonably quickly from my PC). Or really if my workflow wasn't so convoluted and painful to use.

There has to be a better way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.