Ubuntu 12.04

Ydoow

Has anyone tried it out yet? It was officially released today.

I\'m considering replacing 10.04 on my laptop with it.

However I must admit, my current Gnome 2 layout/theme is the love of my life right now.

I\'ve got 3D desktop setup with transparent background, meaning I can view all windows open in other desktops.

I remember playing a youtube video I was assigned to watch on the desktop wall opposite of me (the opposite side of a cube facing you), then writing my report on the video on the desktop facing me all at the same time.

It\'s lovely :)

But if 12.04 is faster, more intuitive, and all around more awesome, I\'ll probably switch. I didn\'t like Unity when I first tried it, but apparently it\'s a lot faster and less buggy now (although I never experienced any bugs)

Gah. I tried installing and ran into issues.

Took me a while before I realized the 64bit version is only for amd processors for some reason...

64-bit is not only for AMD processors... It\'s just the x86-64 Architecture was originally designed by AMD, and so it is sometimes called AMD64... it is just an extension of Intel\'s original x86 architecture which was just 32-bit before AMD released their Athlon64 processors... (AFAIK it isn\'t really true 64-bit, but they call it that anyway)

Modern Intel processors all implement a version of x86-64 (and have done since the late Pentium 4s, I believe) and so 64-bit versions of OSes will run on either Intel or AMD.

64-bit is not only for AMD processors... It\'s just the x86-64 Architecture was originally designed by AMD, and so it is sometimes called AMD64... it is just an extension of Intel\'s original x86 architecture which was just 32-bit before AMD released their Athlon64 processors... (AFAIK it isn\'t really true 64-bit, but they call it that anyway)

Modern Intel processors all implement a version of x86-64 (and have done since the late Pentium 4s, I believe) and so 64-bit versions of OSes will run on either Intel or AMD.

You\'re right, I looked that up a bit earlier today because I thought it was so odd.

I could have sworn Intel Atom processors were 64bit though.

So far, it seems slow to me. But I\'m betting it\'s because of the Atom processor I\'m using. It\'s just sluggish and easily gets overwhelmed

You\'re right, I looked that up a bit earlier today because I thought it was so odd.

I could have sworn Intel Atom processors were 64bit though.

So far, it seems slow to me. But I\'m betting it\'s because of the Atom processor I\'m using. It\'s just sluggish and easily gets overwhelmed

Atom processors are 64-bit. I have 64-bit Lubuntu on my Netbook IIRC.

EDIT: It says here which are and which aren\'t... My Atom is an N550 and so it is 64-bit... some of the older ones and the MID ones are not, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom

Odd...I installed the 64 bit version, but I kept getting the 'Bootable Disc not found' error

Installing 32bit version fixed it.

Perhaps it was a corrupt download. I dunno.

Probably a corrupted download or corrupted install...

I tried installing it twice. I kinda find it unlikely it would install correctly if it was a corrupt download though, don\'t you think?

My guess is that it\'s a grub issue (or whatever the default bootloader is), but I\'m not really sure.

I\'m not sure if I should bother reinstalling the x64 version. How much faster would it really be? ya know?

I tried installing it twice. I kinda find it unlikely it would install correctly if it was a corrupt download though, don\'t you think?

My guess is that it\'s a grub issue (or whatever the default bootloader is), but I\'m not really sure.

I\'m not sure if I should bother reinstalling the x64 version. How much faster would it really be? ya know?

Honestly, it won\'t make much of a difference... Maybe if you use Photoshop or some Video Editing software ... because you can take advantage of the extra RAM which you could then use.

It also would help if you were hosting a server...(Say a minecraft server for example.)

Honestly, it won\'t make much of a difference... Maybe if you use Photoshop or some Video Editing software ... because you can take advantage of the extra RAM which you could then use.

Well this is a Cr48 laptop.

Intel Atom 1.6ghz and 2Gb or RAM so there really isn\'t much hardware to work with.

The best piece of hardware in there is the 16gb SSD

Well this is a Cr48 laptop.

Intel Atom 1.6ghz and 2Gb or RAM so there really isn\'t much hardware to work with.

The best piece of hardware in there is the 16gb SSD

32-bit is all you need, then.

I think I went 64 just for the hell of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.