KSP Hype ?! Maybe the DEVS need to confirm this ... !

Cdr_Zeta

Looks like someone just google image "Orbital Fuel Depot" and grabbed it.

Also, what is all this about "free cooling" in the "deep cold of space"? Heat management is such a pain in space due to lack of convection in a vacuum.

Goes to show you how extremely little they actually researched for this article. If the 'concept' image taken from a game didn't already tip you off

Looks like someone just google image "Orbital Fuel Depot" and grabbed it.

Also, what is all this about "free cooling" in the "deep cold of space"? Heat management is such a pain in space due to lack of convection in a vacuum.

And solar energy isn't free since solar panels don't grow on trees in space, and suitable asteroids are not free since they're rarely in earth orbit. Never the less, replace "free" with "potential" and the article has a bit of a point.

And solar energy isn't free since solar panels don't grow on trees in space, and suitable asteroids are not free since they're rarely in earth orbit. Never the less, replace "free" with "potential" and the article has a bit of a point.

Yea, they seem to skip over the parts where you'd have to build dedicated infrastructure

While it might be a good thing KSP was referenced (more publicity), but in my opinion this article is just an example of the shoddy, lazy excuses for journalism that unfortunately undermine the very concepts/information they are trying to convey. You would never catch NBC doing such a poor job of fact finding... oh wait...never mind.

This is funny, but not totally a surprise.

Just Google anything about spacecrafts and you very often find KSP images.

I guess it is a refection of how popular the game has become.

But still a bit embarrassing for the writer.

On a side note, I wonder how hard it is for a writer or small online magazine to find legal images for an article?

While it might be a good thing KSP was referenced (more publicity), but in my opinion this article is just an example of the shoddy, lazy excuses for journalism that unfortunately undermine the very concepts/information they are trying to convey. You would never catch NBC doing such a poor job of fact finding... oh wait...never mind.

The thing is actually a blog post, according to the URL. So it is more like "An opinion piece of some random person/people on the internet" rather than an actual article. I don't think blogs has often been held to journalistic standards.

Edit: I think the whole website is actually a very well made blog (albeit with quite poor research) about rocket science and the mission to get to space for fuel to help human expansion in space.

Also, the image has since been removed and swapped out with something else on the internet. This time from NASA.

Edited by RainDreamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.