DIY flight simulator

Aghanim

i guess you could build a replica of a cockpit from either custom materials (say flight sims HOTAS) or even old real aircraft parts, or maybe 3D print some !

then you could wire everything to a computer (very hard i guess) and install displays for the "windows"

Then you would need to install a flight sim on the computer, something very realistic like DCS or so...

I think that it is totally possible, but VERY,VERY hard.

MS FSX does support custom hardware. You have to write a bit of code to connect the game's I/O to whatever you've built, but it's totally doable. People have built custom panels that way. The hard part is actually building the hardware.

I have wondered about this ever since I rode the Mission: Space ride at Disney world. It did an awesome job of simulating a high G rocket launch, as well as zero G in orbit. This one is way too complicated for an amateur builder. Someone should suggest it to Elon Musk since he is a billionaire engineer KSP fan.

mission-space-simulator-capsule-big.jpg

Edited by The Yellow Dart

Sure. The only real limit is how much time and money you're prepared to invest in it.

Any respectable flight simulator exports all of the telemetry data you need.

For KSP, mods like Telemachus or KSPSerialIO (the one I use) export telemetry and accept commands. KSPSerialIO's data packet includes heading information in all three dimensions, but not acceleration vector info, so a full motion simpit might be pushing it. For now. But check out the custom hardware / simpit repository thread for some of the impressive hardware people are building for it.

X-Plane has very detailed data packets it will send via UDP. More than enough info to fling a pilot around, as well as light up a full display panel. The Orbiter forums have what looks like a rich simpit community. Flightgear, perhaps unsurprisingly, seems to have a completely customisable and extensible IO subsystem. And at that point I gave up googling.

Building actual hardware is where it gets fun. I'm not going to pretend I know much about the details. But

using what looks like parts sourced from eBay and scrap yards.

i guess you could build a replica of a cockpit from either custom materials (say flight sims HOTAS) or even old real aircraft parts, or maybe 3D print some !

then you could wire everything to a computer (very hard i guess) and install displays for the "windows"

Then you would need to install a flight sim on the computer, something very realistic like DCS or so...

I think that it is totally possible, but VERY,VERY hard.

Some people has build replica cockpits of jets, they tend to be build of wood with instrument panels added after best ability but many looks very authentic.

They uses monitors for windows. Yes this is an major project.

Now if you make an full motion one this will be harder. You need the hydraulically cylinders and the hydraulic pump and the control system, this itself looks hard as errors here and the sylinders will try to rip the frame apart.

An simpler solution might be two cylinders, one for sideway and one for tilt forward and back and then use an extra device for vibration and up down movement.

Not so realistic but you can get sideway and tilt from the navbal and add an factor for g force. Accelration will then be translated to tilt up,

You obviously want to use an small cockpit here, You will not get an bubble canopy but segmented windows like on the A-10.

I know some rely on projectors for vision, with some custom software to "shape" the image output to match the curved "windscreen" and give ~270 degree fields of vision. But you require some pretty damn expensive projectors for that.

As far as tilting and rolling. Sure, can be done... for a couple grand.

Best bet would be starting by rigging up a stationary cockpit though. I know I helped a friend build theirs. Even went so far as to building a couple instrument panels and using an arduino mega to make those operate/interface with the computer.

Its a little over the top for me. But a lot can be said for your rudder pedals not running away from you during successive maneuvers.

It has an frame at front and its heavy armored, I thought it was segmented as on the Apache, however I see its round at the backside.

Oh i see what you meant. Its a bubble-like cockpit but the front is a flat frame. The thing is, this is not enough to use computer screens to emulate the windows in the cockpit replica :) You'd be better off replicating the cockpit of an Apache or a sr71

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.