New Kerbonaut, follow my journey

Thunder_86

you talked about installing RSS. is that the realism mod? If you juste delete your game and reinstall it from scratch with no mods, it should be fine, isn't it? Maybe you can backup your savegames...

Thats why I hate mods, in any game. usually screws with the reliability of the game. The only one I installed on my game is a mod for docking. Don't remember the name. I've seen a video of a guy that uses it, I didn't realize there is a built in one in the game, so I installed it... When I'm going to start using docks, I'll try NOT using the mod... if I can get away with the vanilla game, I'll uninstall the mod.

I really hate mods... Some of them add some cool-ass stuff, but for me its no good if it makes the game unstable. Vanilla KSP is a ton of fun anyway!

I try to use BD armoury often, but there's really no utility for it, so the parts just kinda sit there.

KW rocketry is a good one. Good engines and tanks.

Any autopilots I can use are a good one as well. Other than that, I just use ones I make myself.

Now I know not to use RSS. Any yes, the image taken was actually after a re-installation. I forced the snowball to leave, and it's retaliating. It also has help from Mr. NaN.

well that sucks then! What will you do?

On my side, rescue mission for Jeb was a stunning success, Sent an empty Mk1 capsule with an OCTO on it to save him. The same rocket I use for the regular rescue missions. I don't know why I didn't think about it straight away, I did dat dozens of times, the rescue missions are my favourite!

Also, yesterday, I played a bit of sandbox and started a KSS (Kerbal Space Station). This is why I prefer career tho. even tho I have more stuff to put on it in sandbox, all the science I could get from it serves no purpose... :(

It's really fun to do tho! :) And I love that docking mod after all lol. I'll probably stick to only that mod. The biggest thing is not that I can see the alignment, as you can see it with stock KSP, but I don'T like the controls in docking mode. I prefer to keep the regular controls, but then you don't see your alignment. With the mod you see the aligment and you get to keep the controls :).

Docking is easier than I expected tho... you don't seem to have to be super precise ad the magnetic thing take over from very far away. Is it like that with real-life docking as well or they just made it easier in KSP? I was like "easy... easy..." and then all of a sudden, I get pulled to it. It was a tiny bit of a bummer, and I was doing so well I would have loved to complete the whole maneuver myself lol

Edited by Thunder_86

Is it like that with real-life docking as well or they just made it easier in KSP?

Ohhhhh man. You do not even know how easy we have it.

The magnetic strength of those things is so unbelievably overpowered, it wont matter of your in alignment or not, or if you're going crazy fast.

For comparison, the space shuttle had to plan out their alignment from several hundred meters away, since they couldn't use their reaction control thrusters that were facing the ISS. Their average docking speed relative to the ISS was about .05 m/s.

yeah, thats waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa[insert 8984654 other "a" letters here]aaaaaaaaaaaay more precise than what we have to do in KSP lol. Is there a mod that makes docking a bit more realistic? I know I said I don't like mods, but I also like precise maneuvering to dock, this would add a ton of fun for me!

Nothing that I know of to exist. However, you could be a madman and try double-docking [NavyFish alighnment indicator, and aneurysms sold separately]

Although you have to be quite crazy to try that.

I just remembered I need to update the engineer... I haven't done that in forever.

I'm talking about docking. Delta-V is not something I look at for docking. I need the delta v to get a module to the space station, yes, but for the docking phase, I need precise RCS maneuvering, not delta-V???

oh of course you need enough monopropellant. In a way, I guess you could count it in deltaV, but since this stage will most likely not be 1 smooth maneuver like say an orbit transfer, I guess its hard to actually calculate the needed delta V... I guess its more closely related to the pilot's experience rather than any mathematical calculations. If you suck at using your RCS, it'll take way more propellant than if you can just Ace it.

But with those strong-as-hell magnets we have, it makes it way too easy. In any case, the approach is still fun to do, I try to be as precise as possible just for fun, even though I know that if I'm way off, it'll just pull me in at some point. lol. At least I feel like a real astronaut until that stupid magnet kicks in

Edited by Thunder_86

A giant celestial astronaut who controls craft with a mere keyboard! That's more sophisticated than what they have up there.

I can't seem to find anything that modifies docking range though. Only node sizes are in the config for some reason. Maybe it's mediated by the docking module itself rather than reference points.

maybe. But anyway its still fun its just the very last few feet that gets skipped, but you can still do the whole aligning and everything... Its also fine that the game helps you a little bit, I just think they help you too much in KSP XD

Strum tonight! I hope to see you there Xannari!

What I'm suggesting for tonight is designing our lifters in sandbox. We'll use those lifters in our quest to set foot on the sun in our main savegame.

We'll try to desing cheap, reliable light lifters, medium lifter and heavy lifters. I will probably need your knowledge ;).

I'd like to design lifters for both low-science and high-science so that way, we can use them right away in our career, and as we gain more science points, we can unlock stuff to build the more advanced lifters.

The goal here is to have desings that can easily lift large and heavy modules to build some space sations as well as launch manned missions to other planets. For right now, the most important thing will be to send some scientists on the Mun and on Minmus to get as much science as possible. Then, we will build a space station. If I understood well, and this is what I'm testing on my other savegame, a science lab can only process each experiment result once. nothing prevents the same result to be processedby multiple labs. What I'm wondering is if the data value stays the same or if it go down.

What I did in my other savegame is I sent a science module up there that has the basic stuff (goo, temperature, barometer, science jr.) that is attached to my space station. I also have a lab with 2 scientists. the goal is to leave it like that, and when the lab is done with the experiments I'll send the science back to Kerbin, and send just a replacement lab. The experiments are still going to be up there. I'll dump the old lab, install the new one, and run the experiments again. Eventually, I'd like to have 2-3 science labs around Mun or Minmus to farm science. If I go for it on Mun or Minmus, I may even add a robotic lander capable of undocking, going down on the ground, and go back up to the station with valuable data for processing.

So I'm testing the science lab replacement thingy, it SHOULD work according to what I read, that would make for a cheap way of (slowly) farming tons of science! In my other savegame its already started, but I don't want to fast forward for months to see what happens, I'll just leave it to work and see what happens over time. The goal is not to "cheat" here and just fast forward it, transmit science, replace the lab, and repeat... The goal is just to use the tools we have to make science.