Low-Tech, No Upgrade SSTO

One of the things that is hard about SSTOs is that by the time you get the Rapier, you don't really need to do missions like Kerbal retrieval. So I've worked quite a bit on SSTOs that don't require advanced techs. This one, the Dustbin III, is my best so far.

It is capable of getting to about 100k orbit, and is entirely reuseable. The highest thing you have to get on the tech tree is the Whiplash jet engine. Everything else is pretty low tech.

What makes this one my favorite, though, is that you can build and launch it without upgrading either the runway or the spaceplane hanger, even once. Since it has less than 30 parts and weighs only 18 tons, it can be launched without upgrading either of those buildings.

E32L8Ys.png

CD1PdWf.png

Also, there's a command pod in the bay, so you can launch it empty and retrieve two Kerbals per launch.

Edited by RocketBlam

The third pod is a pretty good idea, saves you even needing probe cores :)

It's also pretty sleek and light, which makes me wonder if it might actually fly with just one Whiplash...

I tried it with just one initially, but it just didn't have enough oomph.

Actually I used the wrong word, it's not a command pod, it's a probe core. But that's not a bad idea... I mean, in addition to the core. Then I could retrieve 3 Kerbals. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Could you post a download link please?

Sure, here you go.

Dustbin III.craft

Edited by RocketBlam

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.