The new International forums

Hcube

ENGLISH :

Is this still WIP or will the final state of international forums have ALL the posts in différent languages mixed together ?

This is unusable right now. 

Not mentioning all the accents that are now all over the place...

I hope it can be fixed soon.

ITALIANO :

Speriamo che il cambiamento di forum host non sia ancora finito perchè la sezione internazionale è a pezzi per ora. 

FRANÇAIS :

la migration n'est pas finie ou bien ce bazar est le résultat final ? J'ai un peu peur là...

WIP, definitely.

The unrecognized Unicode chars is certainly a major issue, was hoped a solution was found during or after conversion. None yet. Me and other moderators have already fixed a number of posts and thread titles by hand, this is certainly a time-consuming task however and therefore limited to threads still open. Users can edit their own posts, if they like.

For some languages, we have currently no moderator able to write and correct those posts. Needless to say, languages based on a character set other than latin are the hardest, some posts almost illegible. For those, really hope some automatic conversion tool will come.

The current structure is certainly very far from definitive. While entire subsections were closed and threads moved to the common International section, most old ones were closed but none deleted. Unfortunately, merging together threads opened on different subjects is never a good solution (would completely spoil every discussion), I'm not doing any of that. Each language (apart Spanish and Portuguese in their own subsections, of course) should end having one active thread only. Other threads, inactive and closed, will progressively move down the list.

At the moment, those "single active threads" for languages previously in their own subsections (French, German, Russian, Polish, Italian) are not all defined yet. Me and other moderators are actively trying to steer discussion to happen on such single active threads.

Many old threads in the now closed subsections were pinned ones, and still they remained pinned after being moved. Some are still necessary, but I'm already removing pins from others. Currently there is need to keep some pinned to help discussion steered to them, but in the end, no language thread will enjoy a different status (like pinned).

As could be seen, is quite a lot of work, and definitely requires some contribution from the community (discussions must resume for open threads to stay at the top).

Thanks for putting work into it but : (Okay the editor won't even let me jump lines. It just doesn't work. This post will therefore have no line spaces.) one thread per language ? Really ? Why can't every language have it's own ? I guarantee that with this way of doing, it the international section, except for Spanish and portoghese that for some unknown dark magic reason DO keep their subforums, will die in a matter of days. How did you even get this idea ? "Hey let's mix up threads from different languages in a single forum"... And now if i want to ask a precise gameplay question, it will have to be in the same thread as modding, general discussion, technical issues and pretty much everything because there's only one active thread at a given time ? That also means that whenever a new cool thread appears, it has to kill the previous best thread ? I hope that i misunderstood what you meant because if you plan on doing that then it's a HUGE letdown           EDIT : it seems that all the line spaces i tried to make decided to gather at the end of my post. (Maybe there's a bit of WIP here too :) )

Edited by Hcube

I support @Hcube on that one: having one thread per language will greatly reduce the content in the International section. One thread only will only allow general discussion or comments on the language.

Take for example Nookos' NSS satellites mod: before being released in the main add-on section, it stayed over a month in the French section where he could develop and share his mod with only a reduced part of the community, while it was still early WIP. I seriousely doubt something like this will be possible in a single general thread; worse mods like this could have been never released.
While this is a very specific example, I'm sure there are a lot more out there.

I know there are entire KSP forums in other languages, but it would be nice if non-English speakers could be given a proper place to express themselves, and not just for general discussion.

I also know the forums are still being heavily worked on and that nothing is definitive, so I wouldn't mind this system as a temporary solution while everything else sets up.

Not only the line spaces don't work as expected. Multiquoting posts doesn't either :( .

@ Hcube. There is nothing really definitive yet, apart the decision from Squad (not moderators) to close those language sections. At the moment, there's a lot of confusion due to all those threads out of the proper place where they stayed. To reduce confusion, threads no more current have to be let down. You may have noted however, not all were closed yet.

Other languages had nothing more than a single thread with the old forum. For general discussion, that is certainly what will develop with any language (but those on their own subsections). But it's true there are specific subjects of interest deserving their own thread. One such, IMHO, is about translating KSP to other languages. Such threads however should not "belong" to any specific language.

The General discussion threads will not be killed, there won't be any other "best thread" to make them go. Currently, opening new threads is allowed for any forum member, and I hope it could stay that way. But should the subject of any new thread not warrant a separate one, a decision will have to be made if its contents are to be merged in the "General Discussion" one, or the thread closed after it served its purpose. On the contrary, if a "General Discussion thread" brings an interesting subject, it may be evaluated to allow that subject to be the theme of one specific thread. Probably best with some suggestions from the international community.

But one thing, certainly, to avoid even more confusion than is currently on this section, we can't let complete freedom to open threads on whatever as it was previously. I'm already having trouble to find the worthy threads in the mass, would like if users could still find where to post something in their own language. Without scrolling 6 or more pages to find the required thread.

@ Gaarst. Hope the above also answers a bit to your valid remarks.

19 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

All the diacritics have gone nuts. Most of the stuff written in Slavic languages is poorly understandable, if readable at all.

Very true. Still hoping some conversion tool will come to correct all those wrong characters.

In the meantime, I can only offer my ability as moderator to edit any thread/post, but need somebody with knowledge of those languages to provide the correct title/text. Of course, anybody should be able to edit his/her own posts in open threads, I may do with posts from users who left (and are still considerd of importance) and posts in closed threads, but please know I'll have to check with some translator tool the original and corrected text are the same - that's something taking a bit of time given the "unreadable" state of some of those posts. Should anybody wish to help recover such posts, please PM me.

• 1 month later...

So... Will we be getting a subforum for each language so that we dont have to scroll through a mixture of unrelated posts in different languages in order to find the one post in a language we understand ?

or is that still reserved for Spanish and Portughese users for some reason ? 

I just dont understand this mess...

Edited by Hcube

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.