Double height service bays or something similar?

jcthemc

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a mod that adds a double height service bay, or something similar... I plan on sticking a rover in it, kinda like Scott Manley did here:  https://youtu.be/LzQ4t7gjKcs?list=PLYu7z3I8tdEkUeJRCh083UT-Lq5ZIKI75&t=573 

More suggestions for mods/parts that help with Rover delivery are more than welcome, i've been looking around and have seen some ingenious methods, but i want something idiot proof :)

Edited by jcthemc

You could have a look at [removed link to defunct website], contains some nice service bays and other useful stuff. Although taller I don't think they are double height, you could use tweakscale to upsize them but might end up looking like a snake that's swallowed a beer keg.

For fairly big stuff I've ended up using a disposable system based around the mk3 cargo bay.

screenshot187_zpsbejonz9m.png

It lands vertically and simply does a graceful bellyflop for unloading. so much more elegant than strapping stuff outside... but at a greater cost.

screenshot197_zps34trlaq9.png

screenshot219_zpsetfhcz8e.png

Final version above only needs the nose legs to hold her steady at a slight angle making driving out a breeze. The running gear on the rover comes from the Buffalo rover pack and with the wheels on the narrow setting fits perfectly. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/122617-105-buffalo-nasa-inspired-msev-fly-like-jetman-yves-rossy-with-the-jetwing/

This kind of system is perfect for non atmo work but would need some beefing up to survive re-entry. Might also be worth looking at some of the structural packs for parts that could be repurposed.

A simple solution (dunno if it is actually simple, lol) would be something that turned fairings into "petals" that instead of being blown off would hinge at the bottom and open like a clamshell. It could be a toggle on the fairing, no extra parts needed. 

On 2/7/2016 at 2:17 PM, tater said:

A simple solution (dunno if it is actually simple, lol) would be something that turned fairings into "petals" that instead of being blown off would hinge at the bottom and open like a clamshell. It could be a toggle on the fairing, no extra parts needed. 

Lack's SXT has one of those, like the one that houses the LM in the Apollo missions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.