War Stories

Sharkman Briton

21 hours ago, SlabGizor117 said:

Whoa..  Middle East wars I assume?  Would you mind telling more about it?

Nah, Croatian war for independence. Serbian paramilitary forces were doing Desh things in nearby villages, and cities got pummeled by bombs.
Let me just tell you that the crap you see in Hollywood movies is 100% wrong. The sound, the image, everything when it falls nearby is absolutely different from what you see in stupid war movies. And you don't want to experience it. Yeah, I can laugh about it now.

My great grandfather worked as an engineer on PBY Catalinas in WW2. One day, he went to a physic. She said, "Don't leave them." A few weeks later, his Catalina went down. He remembered the physic. He stayed on the plane with two others. The guys who jumped were never found. All the guys who stayed made it. This is the same guy who got to North Africa pretty early on, and the Americans didn't have barracks set up yet. With his tent mate, he set up a whiskey still (kinda like MASH). When the barracks were built, he stayed in the tent so he could have his still. He was drunk alot.

One of  my dad's great uncles was almost captured by the Nazis, but they stole a Lend-Lease Jeep from the Soviets (which just happened to have a Browning on it), rode it down the front, to Italy (while feeding Germans .50 BMG rounds). There, he and his friends got up to France after D day, and got across the Channel. Then he got on a ship for America.

I had another relative who was a Marine in the Pacfic. I don't remember much else.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.