How to make a double decker?

36 minutes ago, Gregory TheGamer said:

Yeah, when I do that, I can't attach any MK3, MK2, MK1 part radially onto the bottom floor.

OK, you're correct. I checked and indeed the Mk3 won't attach radially. (I've always used EdTools. With that mod everything can be attached radially.)
But what's keeping you from attaching the normal way? Enable clipping through the [Alt] + [F12] menu and keep on building.

Edited by Tex_NL

2 hours ago, Gregory TheGamer said:

Yeah, when I do that, I can't attach any MK3, MK2, MK1 part radially onto the bottom floor.

I've been messing-around to see what can be done and there are (at least) two solutions that I've found.

True, you can't radially-attach much to the passenger module but the magic component in KSP is the cubic octagonal strut.  It'll attach anywhere and gives you a new attachment point so the first option is to put one on top of the first passenger module  then attach the second passenger module to the strut using their attachment nodes.  You can now select the strut and use the move and rotate tools to position it - and the attached second passenger module - wherever you like.

This leads to a second issue, though; how will you make the leading-edge of the upper deck flow smoothly into the lower one?  The "Mk3 to Mk2 Adapter" under fuel tanks looks nice to me.  You could attach it as above and then just put the second passenger module behind it on its exposed connection node.  Wait, what is this?  A fuel tank, unlike a passenger module WILL attach radially!  So - radially attach the adapter to the top of the first passenger module, attach the second passenger module behind it, select and move the adapater to get the appearance you want.  Looks smooth and doesn't need any extraneous struts.

Note that if you clip the parts too far you'll get quite a lot of z-fighting.  This doesn't look too bad though as long as you keep the windows clear.

htKDSKD.png

Edited by Pecan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.