I Hate When Patching Resets Config File

NeoMorph

So I remember using the launcher to patch to 1.1.1 from 1.1.0 and the settings.cfg wasn't nuked.... Unfortunately 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 nuked it completely it seems...

It's annoying because I hate having to go through and reset all my keybindings YET AGAIN. Why is it that the devs can alter specific bits of binary files but not be able to alter specific bits of text files that need changing. With all my controllers and keybindings I now have to go through each and every one again and reset them to the the same darn settings. I saved the settings.cfg before updating via the launcher from 1.1.0 (as normal). But because it was working flawlessly up to now I didn't this time because I thought the devs had finally figured out they didn't need to replace it each and every time... and the kraken bit me in the ass.

Oh well... Will have to dig see if I can dig out an old settings.cfg and do it manually once again. :mad: And next time I won't bother with the stupid updater and do it manually.

Anyone else wish the game didn't force you to reset your settings.cfg for your controllers and keybindings every time a new update arrives?

Ahhh... I might be badmouthing the devs when it was a glitch in the update process because the launcher now does the following...

Failed to load PlayerSettings (internal index #0).
Most likely data file is corrupted, or built with mismatching
editor and platform support versions.

Eeek. Full install needed by the looks of things.... DAMN!

Yes, I used the patcher once, and it reverted my install to a previous version...

When upgrade :

• Download the full ZIP game from the shop
  • Unzip into a NEW folder
  • Copy your saves from the old folder
  • Copy your setting files
  • Copy CKAN folder if you use it
  • Copy the GameData folder content EXCEPT the squad folder
  • Edit your various shortcuts (change the folder)
  • Test your new installation
  • Eventually delete the old folder after testing everything.

This could be automated easily (with NSIS script for example)

I always use a fresh empty folder and put the game into there in case something remains from the old install, then I copy CKAN to the new directory and install all my mods. If I wanted at that point I would move over any .cfg files to retain all the adjustments and settings from my old game.

17 minutes ago, John FX said:

I always use a fresh empty folder and put the game into there in case something remains from the old install, then I copy CKAN to the new directory and install all my mods. If I wanted at that point I would move over any .cfg files to retain all the adjustments and settings from my old game.

Yep, further more Settings are a pain to redo, especially key bindings. There a a lot of variants and you can't do it from the game, you have to return to the menu.

I have several joysticks, a 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Pro Wireless, a modded Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS setup, all metal custom built Slaw Device F-16 rudder pedals, keyboard, Logitech trackball, and a partridge in a pear tree.

My big rebind started when I got fed up of hitting space by accident and breaking a perfectly workable spacecraft. So I changed return into stage and used the spacebar to cut all thrust. Then I swapped control and shift because flight simulator mode means shifting down means the nose comes up and pulling on the throttle means it should go faster. After building and flying a bunch of flight sim cockpits it's just muscle memory now... Then I started making custom controllers and then got setup... then I bought things like a Leo Bodnar input board (my fifth) just to make an Apollo-esque landing pod and all these had to be setup for the game.... and so on and so forth... AND THEN IT GOT WIPED.

Grrrr... I could kick myself heh. Oh well, that's the Kerbal way after all.

Sure, I have a backup to my settings.cfg file, too... but I never know if it's safe to just use an old settings file with a new version of the program. Who knows what they may have changed.

Yeah, mine broke too. After I'd already nuked and rebound everything after clearing out my install for 1.1. Thankfully (and oddly), it DID save my controllers various axes' sensitivities and whether or not the axis was inverted, which saved a small amount of time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.