Device support for forums

Kertech

I don't know if this has already being submitted (and search doesn't seem to work from my ipad, maybe further to my point) it would be nive to be able to upload photos, format more easily (like remove quote boxes without spending ten minutes trying to find the exact point) from things like smart phones and tablets on the forums

[MOD - Moved to Kerbal Network, as this suggestion pertains to forums software rather than the game itself]

26 minutes ago, Kertech said:

it would be nive to be able to upload photos

Direct uploading of photos and other attachment to the forums is disabled for a good reason - SQUAD's servers would not be able to keep up with the storage and bandwidth requirements of hosting everyone's files. This is why we encourage people to use external hosting services like imgur instead.

, format more easily (like remove quote boxes without spending ten minutes trying to find the exact point) from things like smart phones and tablets on the forums

Bear in mind that the forums software SQUAD uses for the KSP forums is not developed in-house, and is instead a standard piece of software published by Invision Power Services (IPS). Therefore, requests for improvements to mobile support should be directed at IPS instead of SQUAD.

I'm afraid Squad can't do much about it as the forums are structured by IPS.
So unless an update comes from IPS, or an "optional forum package feature thing that can be added" shows up, I doubt much will change about this.

3 hours ago, sumghai said:

Bear in mind that the forums software SQUAD uses for the KSP forums is not developed in-house, and is instead a standard piece of software published by Invision Power Services (IPS). Therefore, requests for improvements to mobile support should be directed at IPS instead of SQUAD.

Bear in mind that that the forums software SQUAD uses for the KSP forums, regardless of who actually wrote it, is completely broken on mobile (and extremely annoying on desktop).
On my android device (many others have reported the same) actually posting anything, and Dog forbid it contains a quote, is next to impossible. This is a straight-up downgrade WRT. the old VB forum.
IPS may be new and shiny, but it is also completely unusable on mobile. This is one among many issues raised when the new forum first went live, but nothing has changed.

5 hours ago, steve_v said:

Bear in mind that that the forums software SQUAD uses for the KSP forums, regardless of who actually wrote it, is completely broken on mobile (and extremely annoying on desktop).
On my android device (many others have reported the same) actually posting anything, and Dog forbid it contains a quote, is next to impossible. This is a straight-up downgrade WRT. the old VB forum.
IPS may be new and shiny, but it is also completely unusable on mobile. This is one among many issues raised when the new forum first went live, but nothing has changed.

Yes, IPS is a downgrade. There's a forum software called Xenforo that is really good, I use 2 forums that use it.

36 minutes ago, CAKE99 said:

Yes, IPS is a downgrade. There's a forum software called Xenforo that is really good.

I can think of several forum platforms that work better (and faster, the JS here is agonisingly slow) than this... thing. I'd even take dirty old phpBB over this - there I can actually make a post from a mobile, and it doesn't tamper with my browser history, mangle my BBcode, or come with any of the other anti-features (like the editor) IPS does.

Call me old-school, but I'll take "kinda ugly, but works properly, even in a text-only browser" over "shiny features, (way too) flat design, fancy widgets and fade-in" any day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.