kerbal space program is in 1.1.3 and still crash

11 hours ago, igor290506 said:

kerbal space program 64 bit crash version:1.1.3 why ?

it's because the developers are extremely lazy.
instead of building a custom-tailored and optimized game engine specifically for KSP,
they've duct-taped and bubble gummed KSP around someone else's buggy game engine called "Unity."
I can't say I agree with this approach, it's like sticking $10,000 rims on an old, beat-up ugly car that barely runs, but you have to start it with a screwdriver.

Unity tries to be a one-size-fits-all game engine for almost every platform, including consoles.
the problem with that is, there is no such thing as "one-size-fits-all" and what works on one platform, might not work at all on another.
we're constantly seeing KSP crash because of incompatible code execution, and to make matters worse, Squad can't do much of anything to fix the problem
aside from sending the developers of Unity a bug report and hope it gets fixed within a few months.

In my previous software engineering experience, before I decided to change careers,
I know for a fact that creating a multi-threaded game engine specifically for KSP would be a very trivial task if planned out properly with flow charts and diagrams, so the excuse "making a game engine is hard work" is total bull and I'm not buying it. lazyness aside, Squad also lacks direction, as most indy devs do.

Edited by Xyphos

i cant agree more @Xyphos .. i seen alot games running on that engine now .. but so to say there also have developed other game engines that might fit in an alternative candidate for beeing able to "host KSP" .. or carry so to say.

(Godot *coughs*)

but thats OT ..sry

the main reason is Unity tho .. i have 1.1.3 and 16 GB ram running Ubuntu 14.04 64bits and i barely have issues .. just micro freezes and some lags from time to time but its rather stable apart from the 1.1.2 random CTD's

try running the 64bit version with "-force-opengl" param (without quotes), my advise :D

Edited by LatiMacciato

No, actually... KSP should run on a custom engine, based as an internet server using the P2P network protocol, single player would connect to that server locally, and other players could join via lobby listings with optional passwords, if the host allows multiplayer.
since it's a server design, it doesn't need any graphics programming, only the client-sided part would need a graphics engine, to display the information being relayed by the server.
this frees up resources since the server doesn't have to draw every game frame, only track physics and tell the client what's going on in the universe.

...but then again, what do I know about game programming?

Edited by Xyphos

33 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

No, actually... KSP should run on a custom engine, based as an internet server, single player would connect to that server locally, and other players could join if the host allows.
since it's a server design, it doesn't need any graphics programming, only the client-sided part would need a graphics engine, to display the information being relayed by the server.
this frees up resources since the server doesn't have to draw every game frame, only track physics and tell the client what's going on in the universe.

One infamous word: Lag
If you are not in the same country as the server, then your throttle controls will have like 70ms+ latency...that seems quick, but you wont be able to do soft Falcon9 landings on Kerbin

Just now, Blaarkies said:

One infamous word: Lag

Two counter words: lag compensation.
it's a technique used to sync up all the clients within a reasonable margin.
it's unlikely to lag on localhost, which is your own loopback device on your computer,
however, for multiplayer, if anyone is attempting to play with a 600 ping, it's not the server's fault, now is it?

1 minute ago, Xyphos said:

Two counter words: lag compensation.
it's a technique used to sync up all the clients within a reasonable margin.
it's unlikely to lag on localhost, which is your own loopback device on your computer,
however, for multiplayer, if anyone is attempting to play with a 600 ping, it's not the server's fault, now is it?

Even if that works, we can't just throw in multiplayer when multiplayer itself hasn't even been solved...everyone is still arguing about how to handle timewarp

First time ever today, in 1.1.3 ... the game crashed. I was in the VAB. *NOT* amused.

I also noticed that I have a terrible stutter in the game, worse than before... it was, when I first started playing 1.1.3 almost non existent.

I'm blaming this one on the  mods I have installed, evidence, IN MY CASE, points to that. I'm going to remove a few unused mods and see if that helps.

Before judging the game too harshly, I suggest everyone check for errant mods ... just in case.

I also suggest that those without ANY mods and still crashing AND its happening in the latest version are the ONLY ones that can judge the game as bad... reason being, the game might be OK, the authors have plenty of experience BUT.... we have many GOOD modders out there and a few really bad ones... they would be the problem, it seems. Lets make sure of our case before jumping to conclusions.

On 6/27/2016 at 10:56 PM, kiwi1960 said:

Before judging the game too harshly, I suggest everyone check for errant mods ... just in case.

mods can't run without a function call from the main program to execute the mod's code,
but the devs didn't bother to trap external function calls in a try...catch...finally block, which is the very basic form of error and exception handling.

So, it MIGHT be the fault of the game, but still, most mods behave fine... since removing the mods I had just put in, the game behaves fine... still have other mods though.

So if Squad did that... then why is it that some mods are just fine...? I restate my claim that it could be some mods....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4.9.2016 at 4:17 PM, Zamolxes77 said:

What this parameter do, force the game to use opengl ? Would that help ?

since we have 1.2 you might ignore that parameter that just forces to use the linux openGL binaries wich is well implented now (sorry for the late reply .. just didnt noticed your question)

Edited by LatiMacciato

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.