Landing from a Vetran who's never had issues landing in the past.

So I built this.

tCDSquZ.jpg

But for some reason the butt keeps bouncing super hard and causes me to explode on landing. I've never seen this b4... Yes sure I've seen the occasional bounce, I've seen the landing gear miss aligned thing, heck even even landed a bit to hard which caused a bad bounce. But this I've never seen this before... I land at a high aoa to flare as per usual for a smooth and gentle touch down..... .. or so you'd think but even if I touch down super Gentle BAM!  POWW BOOM bounce .. and were not talking about a gentle squeak bounce either... no no My but lifts at least 20 feet up in the air causes me to go @ss over TKale and almost flips the aircraft onitself... Is it stock gears? is it that the gears are too small? I've tried moving the gear back.. moving them forward I tried to mess with suspension. I miss the old style wheel system so much right now. Any suggestions knowledge? i'm desperate I can't seem to fix this.

P.S don't mind the Rig underneath it's just how I launch it off the runway for glide testing and landing testing the whole rig decouples after launch.

Edited by Dermeister

Can try adding more gear ( or even using less gear ), that size craft should at least use the medium ones; also fiddle with the springs and dampers - softer springs will let the craft sink onto the gear a bit more. I tend to set springs to 0.6 & leave the dampers at 1 to start with. My relatively light kerbin aero lab tends to do what you're describing fairly often unless it's a real greaser of a landing, and usually I land a little faster than I really want to just so I keep the AoA down.

I use parachute brakes almost exclusively at the moment, I've only one spaceplane that will brake in a straight line.

Edited by Van Disaster

31 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

Can try adding more gear ( or even using less gear ), that size craft should at least use the medium ones; also fiddle with the springs and dampers - softer springs will let the craft sink onto the gear a bit more. I tend to set springs to 0.6 & leave the dampers at 1 to start with. My relatively light kerbin aero lab tends to do what you're describing fairly often unless it's a real greaser of a landing, and usually I land a little faster than I really want to just so I keep the AoA down.

I use parachute brakes almost exclusively at the moment, I've only one spaceplane that will brake in a straight line.

YEa I have my parachute tucked in between the Tail fin... the tail splits in 2 fins for air breaks and the chute deploys from between  the tail fins but I never make it to chute deploy! I will try what you said and you recon another pair of gears should help? I can't use bigger gears since I'm in career and I haven't unlocked them yet! but when I do..... this thing getting bigger gears!

Edited by Dermeister

Have you checked the "Gear Blocked" message in the context menu after you've extended the landing gear? You have the wheels fairly heavily clipped into the fuselage -- and if you clip wheels too much they give a gear blocked message and the wheels don't turn anymore. So you see a really hard bounce on a gentle landing, because you are landing on metal sticks and not wheels.

52 minutes ago, bewing said:

Have you checked the "Gear Blocked" message in the context menu after you've extended the landing gear? You have the wheels fairly heavily clipped into the fuselage -- and if you clip wheels too much they give a gear blocked message and the wheels don't turn anymore. So you see a really hard bounce on a gentle landing, because you are landing on metal sticks and not wheels.

Well damm that makes alot of sense! ill check it ! never knew this happened

5 hours ago, Dermeister said:

YEa I have my parachute tucked in between the Tail fin... the tail splits in 2 fins for air breaks and the chute deploys from between  the tail fins but I never make it to chute deploy! I will try what you said and you recon another pair of gears should help? I can't use bigger gears since I'm in career and I haven't unlocked them yet! but when I do..... this thing getting bigger gears!

Try messing with spring rates first - also just sit the craft on the runway and check how it's sitting on the gear, it's fairly obvious if it's bottoming out and needs more.

And again, larger landing gear. It sounds like you have a fair bit of experience with earlier versions, but 1.1 forward, you really need appropriately-sized landing gear for larger craft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.