WORMS, er, KERBALS: Armageddon

Core

This is an idea I had, to implement weapons into the game via KIS. It would be an arsenal like that in the WORMS games, and would share similar functions. Arcing in flight, timers, etc.

Yes, I know, there is a way to tweak weapons of the BD ARMORY so that Kerbals can wield them.

But what I had in mind was something intended exclusively for Kerbal usage, rather than tweaking of other mods. And, these weapons would be relatively weak, in comparison to BD Armory. I think a slightly different damage system would be a good thing in this mod, maybe less of the heat destuction than what BD Armory does.

I have been taking some 3D modeling classes, so in my free time, I could make models of the weapons. If i'm really serious on working on this mod myself, I'll post some pics of the finished products.

4 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

how it would be different than BD FPS

Moar weapons, pretty much. You already get the idea that it would be loaded with unique (possible comical [?]) designs intended to mimic the WORMS games, and that the weapons would have a significant arc to them, keeping range relatively low.. Not sure if it would be dependent on BD Armory, though. I think that is all I can think of.

My idea would be to have:

Bazooka

Grenade

AK-47

Dragon Punch

Kamikaze (cuz who doesn't want a kerbal to just go BOOM?)

I'll need to look up the weapons list to be sure as to what would be in it. The names right now are just the generic weapons that I can think of that are in the game. And, the weapons I would want to be relatively simple in appearance. I don't want it to be to where a pistol is as complex in design as a 100 piece space station.

By the way, Spanner, I really like your BOOMSTICKS mod. Built a 200 ton Gauss Tank intended just to house the raillgun.

Just now, Core said:

stuff

You'll have trouble with the grenade for sure, guess what kerbals can't throw, so sure you can drop it and run away but the epic running speed of a kerb means it's a one way mission.  If you do decide to make a go of it I've made pretty much every weapon type there is for the FPS mod, so know exactly the probs you'll have , feel free to give me a shout if it starts to test your patience too much ( it should test it a little bit, that's character building :P

BD in it's current form is very tuneable you can easily reduce range damage output heat output etc to suit your needs

11 minutes ago, Core said:

And, the weapons I would want to be relatively simple in appearance. I don't want it to be to where a pistol is as complex in design as a 100 piece space station.

Agreed you will find that they end up tiny anyway so a lot of the detail is just not visible and a waste of resources

And on the subject of bazookas, you have a choice, rockets or a canon in drag, i go for rockets every time :) Just don't forget the flameproof suit

And thanks for using Boomsticks

Spoiler

5 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

You'll have trouble with the grenade for sure, guess what kerbals can't throw

Reveal hidden contents

If you can a gun is possible, it's possible to code a basic grenade. At worst, it's a big, slow grenade-shaped bullet that explodes on hitting something. If you want a throwing animation, I'm sure that could be done as well.

13 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

If you do decide to make a go of it I've made pretty much every weapon type there is for the FPS mod,

I noticed. Seeing the variety did take the wind outta my sails. But at least there was no Holy Hand Grenade or exploding sheep.

21 hours ago, Core said:

I noticed. Seeing the variety did take the wind outta my sails. But at least there was no Holy Hand Grenade or exploding sheep.

Hi, I know how that feels, over time you will see  that like that saying " there's nothing new under the sun" It's really rare that you see something totally new and original in the modding forums, But at the same time don't let that stop you, there's always room for variety and a new look.

The weapons in FPS appeal to a certain kind of user ie those who like things to resemble reality, I know there are plenty out there who don't care and like the stranger more unusual mods, so no reason not to go with your original plan for a worms style arsenal . (just don't do what many do and grab some BD stuff and re scale it, and call it something else. be original )

we did try the Holy smoke grenade but due to the throwing issue and eva interaction issues it never made it in

2g9fx1l.png

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

(just don't do what many do and grab some BD stuff and re scale it, and call it something else. be original )

"Original" is my middle name. Wait, no it isn't.

I'll just try to see how the 3D models come out, then I'll try to figure out how to do the other stuff that actually makes them functional in the game. My programming skill is only enough for me to say "Hello world!" in Python 3.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.