Time to Clean Up the Bug Tracker!

TriggerAu

NOTE: All the existing issues in the public tracker have been classified and recent ones checked. Here is the information about the process and plans.

Hopefully you’re aware of our plans to clean up the KSP bug tracker that were announced a little while ago (if not you can catch up with the Help us clean up the Bug Tracker devblog). In short the goal is to clean out the old and infirm bug reports in the tracker so we can give the developers a better picture of whats current and important for their planning.

Happily, the time for that Spring Clean is upon us -- here is what is happening, and how you can help highlight the bugs that still exist by testing them in 1.1.3:

• All of the Bug and Feedback reports from before 1.1.3 are having their status set to “Needs Clarification”;
  • Any bug that still exists in 1.1.3 that you want to update needs to have information the developers need, so they will need to be updated with new logs, save files and updated reproduction steps in case anything has changed since they were first reported;
  • Once you’ve done that make sure to set the Status to “Updated” to help us kick into the next steps;
  • If you are looking at a bug that is already Updated and can reproduce it please add your own notes and update the Status to “Confirmed”
  • We’ll be checking over the updated reports, and will be using your new reproductions and logs to help generate the list of backlog bugs for the developers to plan from;
  • After a couple of weeks we’ll take the reports for items that haven’t been able to be reproduced or updated for 1.1.3 and archive them away;

This does mean that updates need to be done properly and not simply be requests that we fix a report, so check out the Wiki for what makes a good bug report, as any issue that we cannot reproduce and which doesn’t have updated logs will be filed with the untouched issues, archived safely away.

For a visual representation of this workflow the below should help - where Blue is the status, green is what we are doing for the next couple of weeks and orange is what happens afterwards (things that are confirmed and in 1.1.3 will go into this process).
CleanUpStates.png

To give you some way of finding these more easily we’ve set up a pre-configured view of “Issues Needing Clarification” for reports that are in need of attention, once they are confirmed they will disappear from that view.

Other items of Note:

• We’ll skip over the “Feature” report type for now and come back to it;

If I’ve messed up anything too terribly then please do reply to this thread and I’ll update the process and information in this post as we proceed. Thanks for your support, and do know that any time people are able to help with is greatly appreciated.

Edited by TriggerAu
updating images

Quick data point. I've attempted to repro six issues going back from 1.1.2 through 1.0.2, and five of them were reproducible. It makes me wonder if by archiving them in bulk, you'll be throwing away more wheat than chaff.

6 hours ago, Perry Apsis said:

Quick data point. I've attempted to repro six issues going back from 1.1.2 through 1.0.2, and five of them were reproducible. It makes me wonder if by archiving them in bulk, you'll be throwing away more wheat than chaff.

Tis a good point about more recent bugs, and we'll hopefully see those get attention over the weeks this runs, and we will pay more attention to those when we get to the archiving step.

On the flipside there are 600 open bugs from before 1.0 and we've closed and confirmed hundreds of bugs in the last 2 days against the 1.1.3 codebase with a lot of good help.

I'll keep an eye out for the wheat :)

i think the time for "Archived after" stated in the Clean up States is pretty short. Many of us are on vacation...

I try to contribute with my fresh install. This clean up is very welcome, i think.

11 hours ago, KroShan said:

i think the time for "Archived after" stated in the Clean up States is pretty short. Many of us are on vacation...

I try to contribute with my fresh install. This clean up is very welcome, i think.

It is an approx time, and we are looking at items as they update, if its taking longer we can look at that. Also if they get archived and need attention they arent lost and can be redone. Trying to make this as inclusive as possible.

4 minutes ago, WildLynx said:

@TriggerAu

Is it possible to add "All the PC" filter option to bugtracker bug list view? Like "Linux || Windows || OSX" ?

I'll have a look at it after work, should be OK. You can also do that in your own views using the filters too in the meantime

On 7/16/2016 at 10:38 PM, TriggerAu said:

• All of the Bug and Feedback reports from before 1.1.3 are having their status set to “Needs Clarification”;

You somehow missed all the bug reports from the prerelease: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/projects/prerelease/issues

Your post explains what is supposed to happen for repeatable bugs ... but completely fails to explain what is supposed to happen to the feedbacks that have also been set to "Needs Clarification". (Suggestion: The feedbacks can really all be considered feature requests, so merge them with the Features and deal with them in a bit.)

Edited by bewing

What about the bugs from 1.1.0 that have already been fixed on 1.1.3 but are showing up on Xbox since consoles are months behind, still at 1.1.0 (for some reason)? Should we even report them since many are the same PC already had and the devs should already know about them? Squad didn't seem to give any words about it since release, no idea if we are getting 1.1.3 on consoles like on the PC.

Edited by Arch3rAc3

11 hours ago, bewing said:

You somehow missed all the bug reports from the prerelease: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/projects/prerelease/issues

Your post explains what is supposed to happen for repeatable bugs ... but completely fails to explain what is supposed to happen to the feedbacks that have also been set to "Needs Clarification". (Suggestion: The feedbacks can really all be considered feature requests, so merge them with the Features and deal with them in a bit.)

Didn't miss them no, after the prerelease people highlighted the remaining bugs and they were duped/dragged into the public project. If there are some there you want to highlight then do ping em in here and we can grab them now. Well give that a bit of an eyeball after the main tracker is done.

We set the Feedback ones to Needs Clarification as some of them have been worked on and closed, and others aren't relevant any more - its the same process, update/confirm, but I could have explained it better now that you point it out to me :). After the tidy up when we work on features I plan to look at what feedback/features is mereged/tweaked. 

7 hours ago, Arch3rAc3 said:

What about the bugs from 1.1.0 that have already been fixed on 1.1.3 but are showing up on Xbox since consoles are months behind, still at 1.1.0 (for some reason)? Should we even report them since many are the same PC already had and the devs should already know about them? Squad didn't seem to give any words about it since release, no idea if we are getting 1.1.3 on consoles like on the PC.

That's a great question that I hadn't seen/thought of. Will ask about that one, bear with me.

18 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

Didn't miss them no, after the prerelease people highlighted the remaining bugs and they were duped/dragged into the public project.

Hmmm. Many of them still exist and haven't been duped yet.

If there are some there you want to highlight then do ping em in here and we can grab them now.

OK, one of my biggest remaining issues with the game is 7669: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/7669

Also, people who use ladders a lot care about 8715: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/8715

Another major issue is the excessive drag from struts, fuel ducts, and radial drogue chutes: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/9210

And then there is the issue of the flickering Admin Building: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/7698

And if we are going to be duping and dragging, we should make a generic catch-all bug report about the whole wheel & landing leg bouncing thing (that I call jitterbugging), and the related "destructive vibration" bug reports. There are a lot of "copies" of that bug report around, and they all need to be merged (as duplicates of a main bug report).

We set the Feedback ones to Needs Clarification as some of them have been worked on and closed, and others aren't relevant any more - its the same process, update/confirm

Hmmm. But many of them are feature requests. How do you update or confirm something that doesn't exist yet in any version?

Edited by bewing

Moved those ones @bewing

For the wheels there is work going on on those at this very moment, we should be safe with leaving those as is for now while we look at initial testing when QA gets at it

For the Feedback items the update/confirmation idea gives us an idea of the ones that people are still interested in, and lets the ones that have been actioned be resolved using a similar process, this does have that weird question for items that have been logged as feedback, but are in fact feature requests, but well will catch them as we go through.

1 minute ago, TriggerAu said:

Moved those ones @bewing

Thx.

For the wheels there is work going on on those at this very moment, we should be safe with leaving those as is for now while we look at initial testing when QA gets at it

I understand that. But there are dozens of reports in the bugtracker that are marked "Needs Clarification" that are about the wheel/leg/bouncing/vibration issue. They are all basically duplicates of each other. It would be best if we could mark them as duplicates. But we need a number to mark them as duplicates OF.

I getcha, just dont want to have someone spend a lot of time on it, if its a moot point with the next upgrade - best use of time and all that

OK, good -- "Moot" is a setting I can set. I will mark them as Moot.

On 22/07/2016 at 1:28 PM, Arch3rAc3 said:

Got some feedback on this one. The release processes on console and PC are quite different, and the console builds are based off of the PC ones. When we want to patch the consoles we merge PC commits and work on the custom code and assets that are needed to make it run on the consoles. The console builds then have to go through certification with the console manufacturer (Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo) before we can make them available. As a result the consoles are likely to run a little bit behind compared to the PC releases, but we will keep updating all platforms as we move forward.

Re the tracker in particular (I can answer this one :) ) if people log an issue for one of the bugs solved on PC we will link the two records so the team know that a fix may already be available to incorporate.

The activity in the tracker has been great, and I wanted to say thanks again for the interest and assistance people have shown.

Now that its been two weeks I'll starting looking to archive some of the oldest reports this week and keep you updated as to where we are up to in the process

Thanks soo much, it is really appreciated

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2016 at 8:09 AM, TriggerAu said:

after the prerelease people highlighted the remaining bugs and they were duped/dragged into the public project.

Does "they" in that sentence refer to the bugs or the people? I asked because the meaning of "duped" changes dramatically depending on the referent. It could be that both interpretations are true.

56 minutes ago, Perry Apsis said:

Does "they" in that sentence refer to the bugs or the people? I asked because the meaning of "duped" changes dramatically depending on the referent. It could be that both interpretations are true.

I was meaning the bug reports, cause dragging around and duping people can get you into a lot of trouble :)

We move or copy the existing reports to other projects as needed - copying creates links so we can come back after releases and close the root bug report... at least thats the plan

Edited by TriggerAu