Procedural Wings Development

Crzyrndm

KSP 1.2 version is up, with three new editables (scale, leading angle, trailing angle) and a rather significant decrease in the bug count.

SCALE:
For designing those wings at extreme sizes without all the annoying camera issues, Scale allows you to design a wing, and then scale the wing AND all of it's children to the actual size you want (ie. scale the wing root if you want to keep it in one piece...)

Heya! First of all, thanks for maintaining such an amazing mod and making it even better by merging both! And thank you especially for implementing procedural panels :D now I can build big things that don't look like a grey jigsaw from hell, with clipping over parts that make the vessel 3 times heavier than it should be!

I can finally work on some beauties that have some roomy internal space for kerbals to store loads of extra snacks! Like this one:

Spoiler

lbe4r35.jpgFznhTLl.jpg

This is just the pod, but I have another version with wings to fly in the atmosphere. I tried making the structure with procedural wings before, but the wing I used as door for my cargo bay was actually generating lift backwards and breaking the ship to half the speed in comparison to when I built the door with structural panels instead! It even flew off once, and Jebediah swears he never came close to the "eject cargo bay door" button :0.0:

Now I understand that it's still in early development, but I've noticed a few things in case you're not working on them already... It has been mentioned before that the wings weren't maintaining their shape from an old save or from alt-clicking to copy. They also seem not to be maintaining their position, after you leave the SPH and go back, if they are connected to another wing as a parent part. This is how my ship look like when I load it:

Spoiler

cyd5B0b.jpg

Also, another funny thing is that the procedural panels make any ship to be stuck in space and impossible to move. Jeb thought he was going for a trip, but half the tank got wasted and it din't move an inch (apart from some random wobbling):

Spoiler

1scOBAh.jpg

As for suggestions, I think the UI looks nice as it is, the important is to be a legible font and not hurtful shiny colours to the eyes :P And regarding not to limit dimensions, how about setting up a multiplier button? So every time you click it, it will double or halve the size numbers in the editor..

Regarding names, you could go with PC9 Wings(since you're merging them, might as well merge all your names together)..or Kardboard Wings :D

Please let me know if I can help in any way, either with a log file (even though the game never seem to notice that the procedural panel was stuck) or with craft files!

6 hours ago, markinturamb said:

Also, another funny thing is that the procedural panels make any ship to be stuck in space and impossible to move. Jeb thought he was going for a trip, but half the tank got wasted and it din't move an inch (apart from some random wobbling)

Well that's new...

Re: multiplier button, take a look at the scale parameter under base
Re: persistence issues. I'm aware. Haven't quite worked out what I'm going to do about it yet

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on a few more tests I've made with the Panels:

If I attach a very long Stock wing to a vessel, and a panel on the far end of it, the ship seems to move a little around the spot where the root node of the Panel should be. At first I thought it could be getting infinite drag for some reason, but I cheated the ship into orbit and even there it only moves around the panel root. Accelerating prograde also doesn't increases the apoapsis.

Attaching the panel to a procedural wing makes things more interesting...it can either make the ship start floating slowly upwards, or slingshot it very fast in a random direction instantly when loaded. I couldn't figure out a pattern, but seems to be related to the place I put the panel on the wing: either closest to the body of the ship or farthest. But results seems to vary

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:03 PM, Crzyrndm said:

KSP 1.2 version is up, with three new editables (scale, leading angle, trailing angle) and a rather significant decrease in the bug count.

Not sure if I should post this here or on the release thread, but does this devbuild for KSP v1.2 also work reliably on KSP v1.2.2?

• 1 month later...

Does this fork of Bac9's work (a mod in its own right now) fix the issue from B9's Proc Wings where, in stock aerodynamics, the wings would act as if their Lift was located at the center if the attachment-point of the wings, no matter how far back the wings were swept?

This led to all sorts of issues with designs with highly-swept wings that SHOULD be stable being anything but- as the aerodynamics were all jacked up (the Center of Mass of the wings, however, *DID* shift back with wong-sweep, leading to the nonsensical result that sweeping the wongs of a previously-stable straight-wing plane could actually make it LESS stable rather than more- particularly when the wings contained fuel...)

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure what to call this issue, and i'm not sure if it is already known. But when fine tuning a wing by rotating it to fit exactly where you want it, it stays there, which is what I want it to do, but when I go back into the b9 wing editor via the "J" key, the wing snaps into an auto snap angle, which ruins the fine tuning and placement of the wing that you just carefully made using the rotation and translation tools via VAB/SPH

1qVvK5l.pngRotated it without angle snaps, so I could make it precise, but when I need to make an adjustment to the procedural wing via "J" key.........

nEDrFVY.pngthis happens... :( 

Edited by ISE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.