Hey Guys, I have played a bit with the electric rotary motor and build a helicopter,now I'm stuck at the problem ,that my helicopter can't get over 35m/s without losing it's stability and of course it's speed.The problem shouldn't be the motor itself, since even with more power, it is stuck at that 35m/s limit.My quess is that there is a dissymmetry of lift, since the rotor blades are very static.It's a problem with real helicopters too ,but they compensate it with blade flapping.

So does someone got a solution for doing blade flapping in KSP or something that can compensate for that?

Thanks.

If you hit F12 while in flight, you'll get text saying "aerodynamic forces overlay" and you'll be able to see if there is asymmetrical lift. There'll be 4 different colors (Red, Yellow, Blue, Cyan)
You're interested in Blue, as it shows the lift of a wing. (For reference, red is drag, yellow is lift generated by control surfaces, and cyan is lift generated by body)

Example

Spoiler

fYWVSUG.png

The problem with stock rotors/props is that it will always be 2 separate craft inside each other. Pair that with a fast rotating object and you invite the Kraken lol

...except you might want to avoid F12 in the current version (1.2.1) as it causes crash-to-desktop.  

It's not hard with mod parts to make a proper swashplate for rotors.  It may yet be possible in stock - though I haven't see it yet - and it's sure to be complex and kraken-prone.  

The simpler avenue should be making coaxial, counter-rotating rotors.  Same solution the $10 toy helicopters use for stability.  

12 hours ago, stickman939 said:

If you hit F12 while in flight, you'll get text saying "aerodynamic forces overlay" and you'll be able to see if there is asymmetrical lift. There'll be 4 different colors (Red, Yellow, Blue, Cyan)
You're interested in Blue, as it shows the lift of a wing. (For reference, red is drag, yellow is lift generated by control surfaces, and cyan is lift generated by body)

Aerodynamic overlay is quantitatively wrong and should in no case be used for debugging.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.