Ad Astra Space Program Archives

Wjolcz

I never have enough motivation to finish my career games. I start them, get to the point when I can built SSTOs and get bored or a new version comes out breaking the mods I use.

But this time it's different! I have a bunch of mods that make the career a really enjoyable experience and I want to achieve one of my long-standing goals which is a permanent Laythe polar base. Why Laythe and why on one of the poles? Simply because Laythe is another blue dot with oxygen and I want to use horizontal take-off and landing SSTOs, and the polar regions are great for that. So the plan is more or less like this:

The base:
-ISRU (1x ISRU unit, radiators, a drill, ore storage, LF/Ox+Mono fuel tanks)
-Power source (auxiliary solar power plant, RTGs, fuel cells)
-Habs (at least 2x Hitchhiker modules, KAS pipes to attach them to the power plant and ISRU)

The additional ground equipment:
-Shuttle system (1x SSTO crew ferry)
-Rover
-Juno-powered science/recon drone

The orbit:
-Simple scientific probes equipped with ore scanners (sent before everything else arrives)
-Kerbin-Laythe ferry (which also serves as an orbital station and possibly Joolian system explorer later on)
-Comm sats

I'm still thinking about installing some sort of LS mod like Kerbalism. I've just recently planted a flag on the Mun, so I still have some time to think about it. Another thing is the EC management might be tricky with stock parts, so some sort of nuclear power mod might also come in handy. I'll also try and do some story telling once the base is up and running. Each next post will be themed (first Mun rover, first Minmus orbiter, etc.). I hope that when I suddenly start posting like crazy I won't get banned for being a bot, or something. We'll see how it all goes.

voWaGSZ.png

Edited by Veeltch

Please note that at the beginning I set up a rather unsuccesful GPS system and then turned the additional DSN station on (I just assumed they got built after some time). Anyway, here comes...

THE UNMANNED MUN EXPLORATION PROGRAM

Spoiler

r3pYWNo.png

UeQ0Kl5.png

kMGZk3U.png

SRPBiuS.png

YwkxqnX.png

QgSeDMu.png

GbGfKjb.png

M7fLbUH.png

oPkslLE.png

AGD4C3P.png

ljPD0sG.png

2nOU6Fj.png

13TtUyu.png

tdCE6nk.png

8bKVqco.png

uGEme01.png

qw6PsJT.png

The objective was to land a vessel and return it back to Kerbin. I didn't achieve it until the first manned Mun landing mission.

-------------------------------------------------------

During the Mun exploration program I was rising my reputation by accepting some tourism contracts.

THE BLUE ORIGIN-STYLE TOURISM PROGRAM

Spoiler

BmDiahH.png

MPw8ApS.png

9r2Kdct.jpg

eggeGTd.jpg

tsMvur3.png

h8yJuc6.png

T2eufnC.png

CfLsZKe.png

6Mx4s34.png

I also killed one of the tourists and I did some high-G blackout contractracts with a Juno-powered aircraft I'll post the pictures of later on.

EDIT: Oh noes! The posts got merged!

Edited by Veeltch

The next step was to drive a rover on another body.

THE MUN ROVER

Spoiler

UgkE38u.png

Tl9mtjm.png

huGCvfu.png

iJYwixs.png

WFquSqt.png

ODcvTMk.png

2A1lFFX.png

ij9T1Fq.png

U7N2ZwN.png

b3X49EE.png

Ah80Xvz.png

05zSTeW.png

The ERL rover mission (apart from landing on the wrong side of the Mun and having to use the Mun orbitting probes as relays) was pretty successful until I crashed after tumbling down one of the nearby lesser craters. At least EaRL went out in style.

Edited by Veeltch

Back to Kerbin

THE JOYS OF G-LOC

Spoiler

oTKI47J.png

RMmoVa3.png

O6hNZRW.png

hVXbRLT.png

wWl0JxZ.png

sIRRHHX.png

Xa5niR9.png

3z9auew.png

sIG8cip.png

b35q6yX.png

RQ6n97T.png

Decided to have some fun with planes. And because tourists asked for this. The rocket pods on one of these double-cockpit vomit comets are for additional acceleration during the high-G pull ups. My main design influences here were Me 262 and MiG-9 obviously.

About the same time I put that station in the orbit I also went to the Mun.

THE FIRST MANNED MUN LANDING

Spoiler

nQCG6rj.png

e1Yb7Zy.png

BMrdyy3.png

fBm336Z.png

XsagNmD.png

rQFfFEu.png

tqdX1zX.png

DLHKRna.png

Forgot to take pictures while on the surface but the flag is there in case anyone's skeptical about the presence of Jebadiah himself on the surface. I also got lucky during the reentry. The lander had quite a lot of dV I used to slow myself down before hitting the atmosphere. As I separated the capsule I realised it was a good decision because the heat shield was clearly missing. The next iteration was immidately equipped with one after the authorities realised how lucky Jebadiah was.

Remember to reuse your stuff.

THE PROCESS OF RECYCLING

Spoiler

S5mRLeh.png

HDoi4rn.png

q5eMnEI.jpg

This is Muna-II. It failed to achieve Munar orbit during the fly-by because of insufficient signal. Renamed Muna-M2 it had a new mission: to explore an icy moon in the outer ridges of Kerbin system. This low-tech piece of early engineering proved itself more than useful. It will also serve as a communication satellite during the next missions.

Edited by Veeltch

Some more Minmus activity.

IS IT ACTUALLY EDIBLE?

Spoiler

drfMxE0.png

eemfDoD.png

ezotkfN.png

The first Minmus lander. It landed with surprisingly high levels of fuel. The primary objective was to just land on the surface and probe it for any traces of sweetened frozen food. However, its mission has a high probability of being extended. It will be hopping around until the most important question in the kerbalkind history is answered: Can we eat it?

PS: I forgot to take any pictures, but there is also a Moho probe on it's way.

Edited by Veeltch

• 3 weeks later...

The relocation of that Minmus lander didn't go well.

A TASTELESS IMPACT

Spoiler

aFnvlSW.png

eHwaoWT.png

FavI7PO.png

Tried to make a suicide burn. It was not a good idea.

Just some purposeless sightseeing.

THE FUEL FOR THAT TRIP WAS FOUNDED BY OUR LOVELY TAX PAYERS

Spoiler

28wfT6l.png

GeFpyQ7.png

hAeBJMe.png

ns40gA0.png

JGaeBKY.png

ceNtlaj.png

6fTb109.png

6u0q5vR.png

gmwBjgb.png

BJErTb7.png

QcUpuxm.png

Not much happened during this "mission". It didn't even bring anything significant. Just a trip to the southernmost bit of that continent KSC is on. I might do some more of these in the future. I could also build a new plane using other engines, but I really like Juno-powered machines. Making small modifications to them is pretty fun too.

Edited by Veeltch

FInally more interplanetary action.

BE MY JOOLIETTE

Spoiler

2Z3Wrde.png

c04DaDq.png

Xeg8TNY.png

1vUgVY2.png

gFsUaYm.png

KxI9f1k.png

Zz19ttV.png

fGXJQ11.png

Another interplanetary mission, woo! The Jooliette probe is meant to study the joolian system (duh). It's powered by a single PB-NUK (that's what that hot thing is called, right?). Unfortunetally it messes with the CoM. How to deal with the issue: give your spacecraft more than one engine and adjust the thrust in one until the thrust offset is 0. It seems like the Cassini spacecraft does just that. I love KER. Also a Tylo gravity assist because who wants to waste fuel for gravity insertions anyway?

Edited by Veeltch

I think I'm starting to run out of ideas for titles.

FIRE FLIES...?

Spoiler

r9mnNw6.png

WKkyWCD.png

T42U4PK.png

BSaTynD.png

9HECRP8.png

VIb5Eug.png

5TQfbDC.png

zwOQf1r.png

The rocket here is named Firefly (I'm not very creative, I know). It's meant to be a relatively cheap feather class lifter. The first iteration had a tendency to flip. The newer one is stable thanks to the bottom wings. I might try and make it reusable in the future since it lands in the water so well. The probe here is some random thing built to fulfill a contract, which I failed, because I didn't include parts the contract specified. The cool thing about the rocket is using the Aerospike + Spark combo and then switching to the tiny radial engines only (IIRC think they have better vac Isp than the 'spike).

Edited by Veeltch

Soooooo... About that station...

YOU DID WHAT!?

Spoiler

NAvikQS.png

G8v9zeb.png

syEZCER.png

D3GFjKW.png

I am an idiot. What happened: in order to expand the station I decided to attach the HubMax. The problem is I don't have it yet, so I decided to go with a new module instead. The new problem is the station has only one tiny docking port. And I forgot about it. Because of this I had to make a decision to either attach the new module with an adapter in the middle (which I wouldn't be able to remove afterwards because it would be between them) and leave the RCS drone floating around, or attach the RCS drone to the station and leave the module floating around. I did the second thing. It has no power source of it's own so it needs the station's solar panels to stay alive. I now have a dead module floating in the vicinity of OSS New Frontier and I'll have to bring an engineer up there next time to replace the station's docking port with a bigger one (using our lovely KAS).

Edited by Veeltch

I really like the real plume mod.

FIXING THE MESS

Spoiler

P4zXtrV.png

Vyxsag0.png

VLjNrJo.png

vL6TyrR.png

crU26y8.png

wfF6sgO.png

7nUXsAY.png

49GmG2f.png

NMvqCyZ.png

hs8xq2B.png

gncQHNF.png

POMoKSg.png

mmAit9S.png

The station designers screwed up (me) so someone had to fix it (also me). The lady engineer present in the pictures took a docking port and attached it to the local space station. But before it took place she ran out of fuel. RCS manouvers involved. However unlucky, the mission was a success. She came in, glued the pieces together, went back. It's completely offset but who cares? I do. But I'm not fixing that. The station will get deorbited and replaced by something new eventually. Right now I have some tourists wanting to go there. After their cash is in my pocket I'm making a new one.

Edited by Veeltch

• 1 month later...

Some more stuff from a while ago.

STILL TOO EARLY

Spoiler

rsF0DZM.jpg

b5bHRXN.png

OYY6aFY.png

3adtaP3.png

SSTOs aren't easy. Especially when there's no tech that allows for making them. It only went for a sub-orbital hop, but was worth a shot IMO.

THESE TITLES ARE GETTING SILLY AND ALSO A DUNA PROBE

Spoiler

YGF4EqX.png

uVCxqXx.png

ujsrGB1.png

vtoVs2d.png

Finally another transfer window has opened. This one's for Duna. Hopefully that antenna will be enough to keep the connection stable.

EVEN MORE FLYING, TESTING AND MESSING AROUND

Spoiler

ROguBQ5.png

oHDiCEl.png

V45z8K0.png

PLexrv2.png

vduiGD6.png

14mq4ek.png

53yfAOk.png

yQCLUey.png

314XBl4.png

qu3QBSj.png

z0urdmO.png

WmiWQyl.png

YryhKIg.png

IdCEohX.png

0Z6QaYF.png

Took the newly acquired Whiplash engine for a spin. And that MK2 Juno-powered atrocity was... Erm... No idea what I was trying to achieve with that. Guess it was some sort of SSTO prototype, or something. That last MAKS/Adeline-like thing is actually something I'm looking forward to. Only did one test flight and it looks like the return engine section has a messed up CoM, but that ain't nothing I cannot fix. A system like that might come in handy some day.

Edited by Veeltch

• 1 month later...

Here's a thing. Probably the last one.

MAKS

Spoiler

PRal2Sk.png

nRuFVnQ.png

XpQvXq2.png

OA3zpzW.png

vaiowV4.png

xyJUnBD.png

RTIa9Eh.png

lroszaq.png

zaxfYT6.png

B3P6PO7.png

FGnfMjT.png

PAXivbr.png

Here's my little shuttle project. Take the SpaceShipTwo, Dream Chaser, strap a fuel tank MAKS-style to it and you get 1.6 of initial TWR and about 3.6km of Delta-V. Made for cheap space tourism. It can take either 2 tourists (if equipped with a probe core first), one astronaut and one tourist or two astronauts. It's just a prototype so no RCS, no docking capability and no payload capability. Getting into orbit is a bit hard and I would have to work on it some more, but the reentry profile is just textbook. Just deploy the elevator and it reenters by itself. Later on roll left or right a bit and it spirals down on its own. It could probably even land like this but it would be a rather hard and bouncy landing.

Anyway, I think this is the last thing I did in my career game. I'm finding it hard to continue playing this game. I'm simply not motivated enough. The development of KSP seems to be stalling and the career will probably never change. The modded one I'm playing is much better than stock, but it still isn't as fun and involving as I'd like it to be.

Edited by Veeltch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.