Is Kerbal society global, or made up of nations?

Tex

15 hours ago, Rocketscience101 said:

The Kerbals recently came out from their caves, and discovered the stars. Absolutely transfixed they immediately abandoned their traditional ways and pooled all their resources to, and I quote "get a closer look". 

In my own personal headcanon, that's how I always picture the Kerbals as a spacefaring species- Once they saw the stars for the first time, they were hooked. Impossible not to be, really, what with absolutely no light pollution.

Kerbals are non-violent, but highly competitive and hierarchical species, fascinated by science and greed, and pay little heed to personal safety - especially of those expendable goons at the bottom. Think World of Warcraft Goblins, but without direct violence. (Indirect violence - such as sending a stupid underling to a mission that is doomed to fail, or... uhm... helping to arrange a rapid unplanned disassembly of a rival's rocket, is ok.). Usually it's the most intelligent who prosper. If there are any states on Kerbin, they are vestiges of times past, and we don't see any evidence of them in the game. Now, it's mostly the corporations that matter. 

Edited by Haruspex

To y'all saying that Kerbals came out of caves or something: they didn't. They came out of Kerbin's inside surface.

Yep, you read that right. Kerbin is hollow, and I got proof, baby.

If you go to the Tracking Center and read the Mun's description, you get this:

The Mun, is a large satellite orbiting Kerbin. It is mostly grey in appearance, with craters of various sizes dotting its otherwise smooth surface. 

The Mun's discovery is widely regarded as one of the more important breakthroughs of Kerbal evolution. Granted it didn’t happen all that long ago, but its still fair to say that Kerbals are wiser and more evolved now than they were back then.

Look at Kerbol's, however, and you get this:

The Sun is the most well known object in the daytime sky. Scientists have noted a particular burning sensation and potential loss of vision if it is stared at for long periods of time. This is especially important to keep in mind considering the effect shiny objects have on the average Kerbal.

As you can see, the information is conflicting. There is no way they'd be able to notice Kerbol without noticing the Mun.

So that'd be a mystery, but here comes the Hollow Kerbin Theory™:

If you've watched Danny2462's Planet Buster videos, you'll know that after the planet gets destroyed, all that's left is a mysterious halo coming from the planet's core.

That halo would be the remnants of the planet's inner "star", a light-emitting structure, such as the one long observed by the inner surface Kerbals.

Kerbals first found out they were in a hollow sphere in ancient times, as observed by the existence of pyramids on Kerbin's outer shell. However, the air outside is poisonous to kerbals (note how in stock KSP kerbals wear spacesuits at all times, even when at Kerbin's outer surface), and after a certain period of time ancient kerbals noticed that and sealed the shell back to avoid being poisoned, leaving the pyramids behind.

A long time after, kerbals tried going outside again, building what is known to us as the Island Airport. Due to not knowing about the outer atmosphere's poisonous properties, however, the airport got the same fate as the ancient pyramids, getting sealed off. Since kerbals were in a golden age of technology, however, and were getting more and more advanced medicine, they quickly realized it and began to study it.

After throughout research, they developed new techniques that would enable them to build the Kerbal Space Center, and use it to explore not only Kerbin, but the cosmos as well. Ever thought about why you get these contracts asking you to do experiments at Kerbin? Yep, it's because they've never been there before! They've been inside!

However, as proven by Danny's Planet Buster, Kerbin is not the only planet to have the halo core. Eve, Duna and the other planets with atmospheres have it as well, meaning that these also have inner "stars", and, potentially, civilizations that didn't get out yet.

Duna, in fact, may contain a civilization quite similar to Kerbin's, since they also have ancient structures representing their anatomy and failed attempts at exploring the outer surface (rover camera buried in the surface).

Another interesting fact about Duna is that they might know that other planets may also have civilizations, seeing as they broadcast a SSTV signal from their planet.

And that, my friends, is the Hollow Kerbin Theory™. Any thoughts?

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

And that, my friends, is the Hollow Kerbin Theory™. Any thoughts?

Whilst it is clever. It does have a few holes. First off, Kerbin shows signs that it is in fact geologically active with large mountains islands and the continents. The mountains just west of KSC I believe rest right in the bridge of a large converging plate, meaning kscs location used to be a separate continent in the planets past. This would require convection currents in the mantle of the planet. Much like we see in earth. The cave theory actually works to. The Kerbal could have started on the surface, and built a great desert civilization. Perhaps a group migrated to another region, and for some unknown reason, I personally believe it was an asteroid impact, possibly the large one that is seen on kerbin, forced one group underground, near the location of the KSC. there they forgot about their brothers in the desert, who slowly died in the fallout from the large impact. The Kerbal then began to mine, finding the shiny rocks under the surface tantalizing. Making it a goal to gather and observe as many as possible. Discovering quickly metals, fossils fuels or other types, and studying the rocks in their caves. They had dug themselves so deep, they nearly forgot about the surface. One day a brace explorer. Not saying who (job probably) stepped out from the cave one day. He was awed by the clear blue skies the beautiful ocean, and the broad horizon. The Kerbal soon came out of the caves, during the day. But Jeb loved his discovery, and spent a long period of time outside, until nighttime. Suddenly with the sky filled with shiny lights jeb reported his new discovery and the entire Kerbal civilization came to the surface late one night, and decided that from that point on, everyone would pool their resources to go into the great above. 

9 hours ago, Rocketscience101 said:

Whilst it is clever. It does have a few holes. First off, Kerbin shows signs that it is in fact geologically active with large mountains islands and the continents. The mountains just west of KSC I believe rest right in the bridge of a large converging plate, meaning kscs location used to be a separate continent in the planets past. This would require convection currents in the mantle of the planet. Much like we see in earth.

Hmm.

You see, Kerbin and the other planets were artificially built, in order to have the "star" core and be stably hollow.

The monoliths on the Kerbol system are beacons used to communicate back to the creators of the planets.

These creators lie within Jool, the only megastructure that cannot be destroyed by any kind of Planet Buster™, nor have its surface touched without damage to the lander.

It would also seem that these creators have set some kind of force field to prevent any creature from within the Kerbol system to leave, since no matter how fast you're going, you'll always be trapped in Kerbol's "sphere of influence".

The cave theory actually works to. The Kerbal could have started on the surface, and built a great desert civilization. Perhaps a group migrated to another region, and for some unknown reason, I personally believe it was an asteroid impact, possibly the large one that is seen on kerbin, forced one group underground, near the location of the KSC. there they forgot about their brothers in the desert, who slowly died in the fallout from the large impact. The Kerbal then began to mine, finding the shiny rocks under the surface tantalizing. Making it a goal to gather and observe as many as possible. Discovering quickly metals, fossils fuels or other types, and studying the rocks in their caves. They had dug themselves so deep, they nearly forgot about the surface. One day a brace explorer. Not saying who (job probably) stepped out from the cave one day. He was awed by the clear blue skies the beautiful ocean, and the broad horizon. The Kerbal soon came out of the caves, during the day. But Jeb loved his discovery, and spent a long period of time outside, until nighttime. Suddenly with the sky filled with shiny lights jeb reported his new discovery and the entire Kerbal civilization came to the surface late one night, and decided that from that point on, everyone would pool their resources to go into the great above. 

While it's interesting, your theory does not explain the Island Airport, nor how the Mun is a recent discovery while Kerbol is a long known body.

We also see no signs of caves in Kerbin, so I'd say that my theory is more likely in that aspect, seeing as all the "passages" through Kerbin's shell would've been protected within the KSC structure, and the old ones such as the one in the Island Airport and the Pyramids being sealed off.

Edited by Guest

To be honest, I haven't the foggiest of ideas. Given that the only sign of civilisation is the KSC itself, and that airfield on the island near it, and the seemingly endless supply of Kerbals, the only logical explaination I can offer is that Squad didn't have that in mind. The good thing is though, with a couple of mods, we can build and drop civilisations anywhere on Kerbin and beyond, and create a global or nation-based star system ourselves. Though, Kerbals do seem rather peaceful, curious and inherently stupid, so perhaps nation states aren't really in their interests.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.