Constant Career Restart Syndrome

Bombaatu

I did this back in 0.90, when I was playing for the first time. I'd generally get anywhere from just into Kerbin orbit to exploring the Mun, Minmus, and preliminary probes to other planets before switching to a new mod configuration and starting over. I probably went through a dozen or so career saves without ever really getting very far.

For some reason, I stopped doing it with my 1.0.2 career. Maybe it was because that was the first time I went interplanetary with kerbals, but that one sort of "stuck" where previous ones hadn't. I kept playing it through the rest of 1.0.x and 1.1.x, and had to absolutely force myself to find a stopping place so I could start a new career in 1.2. That one is still going, and although I already have some thoughts about the next one, I don't expect to actually start over for quite a while yet.

I have worked to overcome it. I would usually restart whenever a new version came out, but my current save has been running since last May. Mind you, that is spanning just 80 launches, but time is a limited resource for me. The reason I kept this save is a combination of several factors: First of all, I have gotten to a point where the core mods are pretty fixed. So I do not need to restart whenever I discover something cool. Secondly, I have been able to keep setting long term goals. Thirdly, I have kept a careful log of my missions, so I can see my progress and recall what I have accomplished, this reminds me how much work I am going to ditch on a restart. I know it sounds stupid, but that log is a pretty great way to keep the story going.

I have restarted each time there's a new upgrade to KSP, with the consequence that in only one career have I landed a probe on Duna, and in another one managed to fly by Eve and Moho.  In yet another I rendezvoused with an asteroid.   Another time, I made a really nice ISS analogue, all built on-orbit and strutted together on EVA with KAS.  My Kerbals have never been farther out than just beyond the edge of Kerbin's SOI in any career.  :(

Each time, I tell myself, I am going to get Jeb to Duna this time!  But then something I don't want to live without happens to KSP, like fixed-wheel-problems or com networks, or a mod comes out that I want to do a whole career with (like KCT), and it's back to TL-0 I go...  (Part of the problem, of course, is that I have other demands on my time, which leads to a distressingly low KSP-to-AFK ratio.)

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.