ziporama

D3D9 error on startup

Question

Posted (edited)

I am running KSP64 on Windows 10 and have been forever with no issues.

Patch Tuesday arrived last week (April 11 2017) and along with it the Windows 10 creator edition.   Ever since that update, KSP crashes almost immediately on startup with an invalid exception in D3D9.dll. KSPx64 runs fine when I force D3D11 from the command line.   

I've done a few things:
- forced a re-install of DirectX9C  (using the offline installer - the web installer said no updates were necessary)
- updated to the 381.x Nvidia drivers (no change)
- DXdiag passes with flying colors
- my older games that run in DX9 run just fine (eg, Silent Hunter) - only KSP blows up
- KSP runs fine in DX11 mode but has some artifacts with some of the mods I want to use
- I deleted Kerbal from the Steam game page, deleted the KSP folder completely, and re-installed from Steam - same issue (emphasis here that this happens with no mods)

My current specs:

I7 3770K
GTX 780 TI video
16gb memory

I'm a bit challenged.  Next thing I'll try is to install Unity 5.2.x and see if that fixes the problem.  I have an old version of Unity I used to have for KSP dev prior to 1.2.2 do perhaps I have some DLL hell created through that post patch Tuesday.  I'm also going to put a new computer build together soon anyway so hopefully that will clear that up but any words of wisdom appreciated!

Edited by ziporama

27 answers to this question

The RivaTuner Statistics Server 7.0.0 beta came out on April 10th, and so far that seems to work with this Build 1703 ATI test bed and KSP_x64 on Direct3D 9. The Afterburner installer also installs the June 2010 DirectX 9 kit automatically. Hopefully a 7.0 not-beta release is coming.

While the current Afterburner and RivaTuner Statistics Server require UAC prompting, and thus I wouldn't recommend them, they do seem to work. I didn't even bother with the 6.6.0 release that came with the current Afterburner because it prompted me to get the 7.0.0 version on first launch. Not to mention Guru3D's infested with fake driver update ads. People wonder why I block ad network domains on my DNS servers.

I prefer NVidia's GeForce Experience and NVidia Share myself for showing frame rates, video capture, and performance tuning. Also these work without UAC prompting unless it tries to self-update, which I've complained about to NVidia already. GFE uses background services to avoid UAC prompting.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Forgot to mention was running Windows 10 1703 here