Science and Experience from Asteroids

A pretty simple suggestion, but it would be great if there were science bonuses either to vessels within a few hundred meters and/or clawed to asteroids. There really should also be an experience bonus to kerbals as well. They'd just make a nice intermediate boost in between kerbin SOI missions and going interplanetary. It also doesn't seem as if rendezvousing with an asteroid gives rewards a world first contract, though I could be wrong about that? 

You do get science from asteroids, and can get more science if you move it from, say, high above kerbin to space near kerbin, or the same for the mun or minmus. I'm not sure a bonus is necessary, and although experience for kerbals would be nice, it's relatively easy to get a level 3 kerbal without leaving kerbin's SOI. DK about the world first contract.

14 minutes ago, mattssheep4 said:

You do get science from asteroids, and can get more science if you move it from, say, high above kerbin to space near kerbin, or the same for the mun or minmus. I'm not sure a bonus is necessary, and although experience for kerbals would be nice, it's relatively easy to get a level 3 kerbal without leaving kerbin's SOI. DK about the world first contract.

Really? I should say I mean they should have their own biomes. Last I checked conducting experiments while attached to an asteroid still just yielded the zone the asteroid is in, rather than its own.

Science in KSP is nonsensical. It is currency to buy parts, and as such so-called "biomes" (really "geomes" as there is no biology involved) shouldn't really buy you new tech. In this particular case, the KSP science actually makes more sense, since you learn about making spacecraft more from moving an asteroid, than from sampling it, lol.

I guess we don't know much about the structure of it, but Making History might get you closer if thats what you want. We've talked about this before, but I don't mind science points at all as an abstraction. Having multiple currencies creates multiple strategic avenues. If you only have funds then doing the thing that makes the most money is always the best strategy and all deviation comes at a cost. With science points you have the option to design your missions not just around how lucrative they are, but how much they enable you to tech up. Im not too fussed about how tightly game elements adhere to reality. Castles don't move in reality, but chess wouldn't be much fun if rooks couldn't move.

Edited by Pthigrivi

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Really? I should say I mean they should have their own biomes. Last I checked conducting experiments while attached to an asteroid still just yielded the zone the asteroid is in, rather than its own.

Ah, I see what you mean. Asteroids get you asteroid sample science, but you don't get science from instruments around an asteroid. 

While it would be nice to get more science from asteroids, if they were a biome of their own, it would also contribute to the argument about completing the tech tree without leaving kerbin's SOI

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.