Still the overheating

Gordon Dry

Oh man...

I just recognized that this is a huge issue and applies to many folks out there, no matter if stock or modded...

I spent 3 hours (!) just doing research about overheating issues and found posts all over the web from 2014 up to now and this is still a bummer.

What to do to get the "overheating and exploding for no reason"  achievement?

Build up a well planned craft, place some solar panels and radiators ("normal" ones and cryogenic-specialized ones as well) where they are needed and let it go.

When orbit is stable, plan a maneuver to increase apo or whatever.

Just do a time warp until 2m before next node and KABOOM the solar panel explodes.

The well-known years-old overheating bug and I catched it.

Like the flu.

I'm not understanding this. Is your craft in atmosphere when this happens? Any weird clipping going on? Are you using nuke engines (LV-N)?

I have several ships out on missions right now which have both deployed and retracted solar panels, radiators too, and I've used time warp numerous times on all of them at some point or another. No explosions here.

Nope, in zero G environment up to apoapsis for geostationary maneuver ...

I read in my research that very small and lightweight parts in radial attachment could trigger this behavior ...

Haha, so I have to avoid using radial attachment.

Hmm.

Placing each part single and using movement in small steps to set symetrically.
Perhaps that could help.

But for sake...

I have the suspicion that this likely happens shortly after the beloved GC stutter by random ...

13 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

very small and lightweight parts in radial attachment could trigger this behavior

Again, I've never seen this, not even with small probes - for example, a small ion powered probe using big solar panels. However, I will try a few things and see if I observe this.

Maybe post a link to your craft file so people can download it and check it out?

20 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

place some solar panels and radiators ("normal" ones and cryogenic-specialized ones as well)

This might give a clue: there are no stock 'cryogenic-specialized' parts. You're playing with mods. May help if you list the mods used.

I have an issue then I jump to an base doing isru and all the radiators are hot, even kerbals going on eva are hot,
Not had any issues with this, no science equipment has broken but I guess that could be an issue with other designs.
Not had any issues with exploding because of overheat outside of atmosphere except a few cases 

You can get broken parts, often outdated mods who can explode on load this was true before heating too. 
Part tests out fine on ground but once in space it explode on load at least with some builds. 

18 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Again, I've never seen this, not even with small probes - for example, a small ion powered probe using big solar panels. However, I will try a few things and see if I observe this.

Maybe post a link to your craft file so people can download it and check it out?

I wouldn't say that. I've had my fair share of exploding solar panels in the past. But not with 1.2

That's a new one for me, haven't encountered this problem in 1.2 at all

That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, my best suggestion to the OP is to figure out how to trigger this behavior reliably so it can be researched (or mitigated with "don't do that")

To make you remember, this issue was already there in stock game back in 2015, as seen here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/0/598199244893181717/

Especially the last two pages of that thread say clearly, that this happens

1. in stock game
  2. with small parts with low mass, mostly when radially attached
  3. when coming out of time warp back to 1x time
  4. on the same computer one day it happens, one day not

So I don't want to blame mods, but perhaps this is officially fixed (but not really) and in modded games it's back...

Edit:

Another one:

Edited by Gordon Dry

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

To make you remember, this issue was already there in stock game back in 2015, as seen here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/220200/discussions/0/598199244893181717/

Especially the last two pages of that thread say clearly, that this happens

1. in stock game

Fact remains you are playing a modded game, not stock, and without giving the list of mods you are using, or really any detail of your game, it is impossible for anyone to even start diagnosing this issue. You are already reaching for conclusions without giving any context at all to base it on.

This is not to dismiss your report or anything, but understand that you are giving too little useful information. Start with:

• Version of the game
  • Mod list
  • KSP.log (and if available, output.log) of a game session in which it happened
  • A savefile or a craft file where it happens
  • Steps to reproduce (you more or less already described this)

(Don't paste the files as text in here, upload them to a filesharing service (dropbox is free) and link them here.)

I say to put that all here so knowledgeable forum users can take a look at it and perhaps quickly point out if it's a known problem, and if it really seems like a game issue, then a report can be filed in the bug tracker so the devs are alerted to it. If it turns out to be some type of regression, that can be added to the report. But let's first start with the basic details.

I can do that, like in other threads I already did enough for a week in 4 days.

But I will.

Soon.

Actually I want to JUST play and so check "ignore max. temp" and that's it.

It's frustrating to load a game with all the MM patches redone again (because a modder forgot to put the mod settings file inside a PluginData folder), launch a ship - or build a new one and launch that - to go boom...

Did I mention that I like Unity - not?

I guess when I ignore max. temp and just go, the parts still overheat, but as long as they look okay and don't start to glow white with 524626122891671289651092° K I can live with that.

And provide the logs and the craft afterwards.

I was having this issue last week and ended up just starting a new career game. I think it was related to tweakscaled parts on a craft but could never be sure. I still have tweakscale installed but don't use it anymore and everything has been fine with this new save file

Not what you want to hear, but every time I've had randomly exploding parts it's been for one of four reasons:

-- Mods

-- Mods

-- Clipping without using the tool in the VAB to do so properly

-- Mods

-Jn-

Might relate -

I run 0.25 spec engines on my diesel locomotives, I used to love when I got an " Overheated!" bar next to.an engine in the staging display after running full warcry for too long..

The engines themselves still work in current versions but the old heat generation value being unspecific in nature to 1.22 actually heats EVERYTHING in a radius around the engine.. Wheels glow red..cab explodes

In the absence of any value to specify where the heat goes..thermal runaway is common

Quite a few parts last time I looked engine wise..eg ants

Still looked as if they used old configuration files..

Could that be similar and or a mod you have? It wouldnt even take an engine..

If somethings heating up with old config files..using time acceleration would likely be fatal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.