Help with density/volume calculations?

Ok, so I'm making some parts that hold fuel, but the resources' "density" values are confusing me. I've tried using the standard D=M/V formula, but the numbers I get from that don't seem right. How would I go about figuring out how many units of a given resource fit in a cubic meter of space?

Density in KSP isn't really density in the physics sense, because KSP does not deal with volume in any way, shape or form.

The density value in the RESOURCE_DEFINITION node is a mass, given in metric tons. It is the mass of one of this resource. "One what?" Just one. KSP doesn't deal with volume units.

So if a tank has 400 Oxidizer in it, then that is a mass of propellant equal to 400 times the density value from the definition node.

Edited by Streetwind

Streetwind is correct in that the in-game units for resources in KSP are completely arbitrary. This is partly a legacy design from when the game was much simpler, although it's worth noting that resources themselves don't necessarily have a set volume - they can be compressible gases, incompressible liquids or solids, or something that doesn't have a volume at all (electric charge). 

However, there is a volume key in the resource definitions. This is the number of liters per unit, and it's provided so to facilitate modding - resource-switchable tanks, etc. The stock resources are mostly 5 liters/unit, while most mod resources are 1 liter/unit. You can take a look at the stock tanks' heights and radii to calculate their apparent external volume, then compare that to how much LFO (or whatever) they hold, to get a sense of how much of that external volume typically represents usable internal volume. For the 2.5m tanks, it's about 80%.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.