In Perpetuum Ave Atque Vale - A KSP Novel by Fenisse

Fenisse

So, I think it's finally time to announce my big project.

First of all, I need to make some excuses. I had (have still, actually) left gaming as a whole due to time, study and life constraints. The last time I played KSP was on version 1.1.3 last July, when I was part of the Go For Launch team. And 1.1.3 is the last version of KSP I have installed. Before saying goodbye to all of this world, however, I started writing a small story on a Word document, mainly to improve my English. I then saved it, and never saw it again.

A few months ago, I was browsing my computer for stuff to delete, when I came across this file named 'IPAAV'. I opened it, and found a very (and I mean it) raw test of the first two chapters of the story I had begun to write the previous year. After from the horror I underwent trying to read that... thing (you can't possibly understand how bad was it), I decided it was time to rewrite it. So here I am now.

This will be a long term project. And a complicated one as well. Maybe even too ambitious. Time will tell.

The main story (In Perpetuum Ave Atque Vale) will be posted here on the forums. The missions will be made with RSS and the common suite of mods that follow it. IPAAV will be very character-centered, instead of mission-centered. It will follow the story of Danilo Visco (biographies coming soon) as he tries to fulfill his dream of exploring space, and will take place in the years between 1947 and 1965. It will contain:

-A Prelude, a recap of the history of the world until 1947;

-A prologue and the main chapters;

-A Debriefing, the final chapter.

I found out, however, that Visco's story is too complicated to be explained in brief flashbacks. So there will definitely be two spinoffs/prequels to the main story:

-IPAAV: The Snake - the story of Visco from 1926, when he met his best friend, to 1933, when the then 18-years old protagonist had to escape from his country.

-IPAAV: The Legend of the Phoenix - the wartime experience of Visco from the Spanish Civil War in 1938, to the Italian Civil War in 1939 and the Second World War from 1940 to his last ill-fated mission in March 1945.

They will be written with a great degree of probability before the main story, so there may be delays. We'll see. These two aren't in any way KSP related, and won't be posted here. 

Then, if all goes well and I find great ideas, there will be a sequel, IPAAV: The Next Generation, which will follow the main story and will take place from 1967 onwards, but as of now I'd rather prefer the story to end in 1965.

Expect lots of Metal Gear, Star Trek and more quotes, references and Easter eggs.

I guess it's time to boldly go where no man has gone before, then?

TRIVIA: the name for this story comes from a phrase of the Latin poet Catullus, specifically when he last salutes his deceased brother. The reason why I chose this phrase, which FYI means 'forever go, and show what you're worth', is very important, but I can't reveal it yet. You'll see :wink:

Links and whatnot

-Mod list (TBA)

-Biographies (TBA)

-IPAAV: The Snake (TBA)

-IPAAV: The Legend of the Phoenix (TBA)

Edited by Fenisse

Alpha 360: I learnt that the hard way. I want this project to be good in quality, so updates will come rather slowly, about 1-2 chapters per week if we're lucky

Pretorian28715: The Prelude is basically done and needs just to be polished, but for you to understand the story without having to read the two prequels, I'm still waiting to release it until I have the biographies done. 

I'll keep coming.

Edited by Fenisse

I watch your future career with considerable interest

Here's some hints that I found out. Not all of these might apply to you or could be wrong, since I'm not the most experienced author out there, but I daresay I'm fine.

Spoiler

1. People enter a post because of the title, and barely anything else.

2. People expect lots of photos, and also all the photos you do have the UI turned off because with the UI, you look very nonprofessional.

3. In character based stories, the main character should almost always be single and young. Also throw in a love story. Honestly they make a good break in mission reports and stories. 

4. It would be best if you found out a way to do a table of contents in your post. I tried to do it without one, but with 24 chapters its difficult to get to the one you want to read. 

5.In character based stories, describe the amazingness of a rocket launch or something of the sort, but then skip over that if that circumstance repeats. Do not repeat the same material again and again. Doesn't form the best of opinions on your story. 

I hope these hints are helpful. If you want help, just message me and I'll reply

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.