VAB/SPH part attachment help...

Spoiler

Can't figure out attachments 

So  say I'm trying to make a single stage to orbit plane to carry up space station parts and I'm trying to attach two full size Mark III fuselages together  separated by a structural beam.  So there is one  beam near the nose and one near the tail when I attach the second fuselage to one beam it is only connected to that one beam how do I attach that same part to two points  or am I out of luck and have to use struts ?

I'm really having trouble picturing what you're trying to do-- either you need to add a whole lot more words, or one screenshot.  :wink:

However, if what you're trying to attach a part to another part using two separate in-between parts (like having part A, and part B, and there are two girders side-by-side attaching them), that's not physically possible in KSP.  KSP ships have a "tree" structure, in which every single part has exactly one parent (except for the "root part" of the ship), which means it's not possible ever to have a "closed loop".

In other words:  If part 1 connects to part 2, which then connects to part 3... it's physically impossible to have any other part that connects both to 1 and to 3.

The exception to this is struts (and fuel lines, but that's not what we're discussing here), which have two endpoints that you can place wherever you want.  Indeed, that's why struts exist:  to bridge that gap.  (Literally!)  :wink:

So,

18 minutes ago, Shenanagin5 said:

am I out of luck and have to use struts ?

^ exactly this, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Thanks snark. Yes I was afraid of that. Struts do work I just hate having to attach parts individually and then not being able to use symmetry when adding critical things like wings which need to be perfect. Maybe I should just give up on my dreams for a dual fuselage ssto cargo ship.:(  I have a screenshot but my noob self can't figure out how to post it. :mad:

If you mean you want to have an SSTO that has two side-by-side fuselages which are attached to each other both in the front and in the back, then no, you can't have that.

You could, for example, have some little piece in the middle, with extension outriggers on left and right, with struts to stiffen. And then you could get all the benefits of symmetry.

Posting a screenshot is easy. Just put it on imgur, copy the image (not page) URL, and paste it here. It will automagically get converted to an inline image.

Not possible in stock,  that functionality is offered by this mod:

edit 2...and just inserting it again worked. Computers are temperamental b.

Edited by Spricigo
"not embedded because a errors" if someone can help me to solve it, appreciated.

15 hours ago, Snark said:

If you mean you want to have an SSTO that has two side-by-side fuselages which are attached to each other both in the front and in the back, then no, you can't have that.

You could, for example, have some little piece in the middle, with extension outriggers on left and right, with struts to stiffen. And then you could get all the benefits of symmetry.

Posting a screenshot is easy. Just put it on imgur, copy the age (not page) URL, and paste it here. It will automagically get converted to an inline image.

Copy the age? I tried copying the HTML link but nothing 

59 minutes ago, Shenanagin5 said:

Copy the age? I tried copying the HTML link but nothing 

Gah. Sorry about that. Stupid autocorrect. The word is image.  Not "age".  Good grief.

"Here, I'm a pinheaded computer algorithm that has confused the ability to do elementary Markov chaining with the judgment and grammar skills of a literate human being, so I'm going to take the single most important word in your entire post-- which, by the way, is a perfectly valid and common English word, and therefore shows no signs of being a typo-- and munge it incomprehensibly, rendering the entire post nonsensical.  I'll do it silently, unasked-for, without letting you know I've done it.  And even after you eventually discover how I've screwed you over and continue to do so all the time, there's no way for you to turn off this laughably ill-advised behavior, because somebody who apparently has never actually used a mobile device actually thought this was a good idea."

Honestly, whoever designed the modern autocorrect functionality on mobile devices seriously needs to be fed several of them, sideways, without benefit of a laxative. This is the most consistently and indefensibly asinine piece of technology I've come across in recent years.  Hint: if your feature is so infuriating that typing "stupid au" into Google brings up the name of your feature as the top auto-complete suggestion, maybe you should rethink the design.  :mad:

6 minutes ago, Snark said:

Hint: if your feature is so infuriating that typing "stupid au" into Google brings up the name of your feature as the top auto-complete suggestion, maybe you should rethink the design.  :mad:

Aussie lawmakers,  take notice. :D

56 minutes ago, Snark said:

Gah. Sorry about that. Stupid autocorrect. The word is image.  Not "age".  Good grief.

Honestly, whoever designed the modern autocorrect functionality on mobile devices seriously needs to be fed several of them, sideways, without benefit of a laxative. This is the most consistently and indefensibly asinine piece of technology I've come across in recent years.  Hint: if your feature is so infuriating that typing "stupid au" into Google brings up the name of your feature as the top auto-complete suggestion, maybe you should rethink the design.  :mad:

Cannot figure out how to get the URL link copied. I tried both the app and the website. Guhhh! Must how my dad feels when I tell him how to use text and Facebook... #gettingold lol 

28 minutes ago, Shenanagin5 said:

Cannot figure out how to get the URL link copied. I tried both the app and the website. Guhhh! Must how my dad feels when I tell him how to use text and Facebook... #gettingold lol 

You're looking at the website page (any webpage) and it has an image on it. Right-click the image and choose "Copy Image Location". :wink:

(Caveat:  Well, technically not any webpage, just most of them.  Some webpages deliberately do technical stuff to prevent this from working, mainly because they don't like the idea of freeloaders displaying their hosted images on someone else's website, generally for some business reason such as not getting ad revenue in cases like that.  Most websites, however, don't bother being obnoxious like that.  Specifically, imgur.com works just fine, it has image URLs that are easily copyable and can be embedded on other sites such as this one.)

Here's an example of it working in practice.  See my avatar image sitting off to the left of my post?  I mouse over it, right-click, and choose "Copy Image Location".   I now have a long URL on my clipboard, that looks like http colon slash slash <bunch of stuff ending in .png>.  I then just paste that straight into my forum post here, and voilà!

snark_profile.thumb.png.123cc35633e79d28

3 hours ago, Snark said:

I then just paste that straight into my forum post here, and voilà!

Actually, the software running this forum requires one more tiny step to embed the image: hit 'Enter' after pasting in the link. Otherwise it just stays as a link.

I haven't tried myself, but I think you could:

1. start with a beam, or start with some other part, then the beam. 

2. Make sure that beam is the root part. 

3. Attach one end of your twin fuselage to it (with twin symmetry) 

4. Strut the other end of the fuselage together. 

This way, the root would be the spine of your craft, even if it's just a very small spine; a beam or a girder or similar. Good luck. 

37 minutes ago, Ripper2900 said:

Snip

Problem 1: whatever is used for the rooot part will cause drag and increase mass.  That is the mild one.   

Problem 2: lack of structural coherence given the fact vessels have a tree arrangement.  That one is the problematic one. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.