[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

How many of you guy use the KER parts, and how many use ModuleManager to just add it to all command pods?

Personally, I do the second. Hell, I don't even install the parts so as not to use up space on my VAB. Maybe i'm minority, but I suppose the plugin doesn't really need parts, just the module?

But then I have to say I find the modelling on the Flight Engineer really cute. Could be re-used as a scientific experiment, maybe?

Yeah, I'm the same. I was actually trying to get my local config set up so that, in career, you started off with the bulky tape drive, and then eventually unlocked "just put this in every ModuleCommand". I've always liked the computer-chip model, though, and I'd love to see it used as something else - or possibly just donated to the community for other mods to adopt.

Though I suppose, for backwards compatability, you guys will have to release the parts until a save-breaking KSP build.

How many of you guy use the KER parts, and how many use ModuleManager to just add it to all command pods?

I delete default KER parts and create a new one with the same functionality, by cloning one of the stock sensor parts (using gravioli detector at the moment).

I find default parts to be too large (especially for my small unmanned probes) and visually incompatible with stock style. Would've been better if I had an option to have KER available to me all the time, including the VAB, no matter what parts are "on the table".

I am having the hardest time getting this mod to work. Everything goes fine until the moment I put a chip on a ship. No menus pop up or anything. I have tried everything. I swear I have done everything exactly as they instructed. Any idea why this might be happening? Is it just my computer or is it the mod?

I am having the hardest time getting this mod to work. Everything goes fine until the moment I put a chip on a ship. No menus pop up or anything. I have tried everything. I swear I have done everything exactly as they instructed. Any idea why this might be happening? Is it just my computer or is it the mod?

Are you running KSP 0.23.5. If so, then you will need to use the experimental version linked in the first post. You should have the whole Engineer folder in your GameData folder (it sounds like you have if you can see the parts in the VAB). Just replace the two DLLs in there with the new test versions.

Refering to the discussion about one page ago about using the parts... I like having the option to not have KER on a craft. I do use the "6S Service Compartment Tubes" mod though and thus have a place to store the recorder inside the circumference of the rocket without "messing up" the looks. I never use the two "computer chip" thingies as they're simply too big.

The thing for me is usually that I use KER during the ascend from Kerbin and maybe later during landings / ascends. I almost never install KER on probes such as satellites and robotic landers. Adds a bit of a challenge to the whole thing I guess. Manned vessels always have KER since, well... they'll be talking to mission control anyway.

So if there'd be a decision to make (not saying there should be!) whether or not the parts should stay, I'd say yes. But a model overhaul might be good. All models are quite big and I do agree with a poster above that the chips don't fit the game estetics very well.

Edited by MrOnak

Interesting points, @MrOnak. You could, of course, use your own ModuleManager config to, say, apply KER only to manned vessels and, say, only one probe. I guess I hadn't been considering the "I don't want it, full stop" case because, with Toolbar, it just minimizes and you can even hide the button. :)

@Amaroq: I know what you mean. But knowing me, if I have KER on a satellite that is part of a geostationary network and I find out that one day one of the sats has for some weird reason wandered off its intended position I know I'd use KER to have the orbital periods of all satellites match before I realize "hey that's a probe, it shouldn't have KER".

Probably thats just me though :)

@MrOnak, how about the following ModuleManager config?

// Add BuildEngineer to all Probes
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#minimumCrew[0]]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
}

// Add BuildEngineer and FlightEngineer to all crewed Command Modules
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#minimumCrew[1]]
{
MODULE
{
name = BuildEngineer
}
MODULE
{
name = FlightEngineer
}
}

@Amaroq: Yes that seems to be what you guys want ;). That plus a part that I can add to my unmanned probes that gives me the flightEngineer seperately is what I would love hehe.

Sorry if I come across as picky, but I really think having options is good :D

@MrOnak, no worries. I'm all for options for the advanced user, but we've got to make sure we leave things appropriate for the beginner as well. Given the way most of the other information-only mods install nowadays (e.g., Kerbal Alarm Clock, Science Alert, etc), I think this one is ready to be presented "partless", but with some alternate MM config files to support the sort of thing you want, etc. As I said earlier, they're going to have to keep the parts around for backwards compatability at least until the next "Squad breaks all save games" release.

I noticed a little bug with the Experimental Version for .23.5 (ARM). It functions perfectly with the new parts, but for some reason, if you add RCS tanks to the top of the stage, (pictured) those stages disappear from the Delta-V calculations window in VAB and during flight.

photo.php?fbid=10201209455832122&l=d16e671ecd

photo.php?fbid=10201209455792121&set=a.10201209455512114.1073741830.1642707376&type=3&theater

photo.php?fbid=10201209455712119&set=a.10201209455512114.1073741830.1642707376&type=3&theater

I noticed a little bug with the Experimental Version for .23.5 (ARM). It functions perfectly with the new parts, but for some reason, if you add RCS tanks to the top of the stage, (pictured) those stages disappear from the Delta-V calculations window in VAB and during flight.

It looks like the asparagus staging is being broken for some reason. Can you provide the craft file and/or a shot in the VAB with the show all stages button pressed?

Hmm in the log it says that the SRB problem where DV was not accounted for has been fixed however it still seems to be broken with me. Pretty sure i have the most up to date version.

Can you upload a craft file and/or a screenshot in the VAB with the engineer window in show all stages mode?

Are you running KSP 0.23.5. If so, then you will need to use the experimental version linked in the first post. You should have the whole Engineer folder in your GameData folder (it sounds like you have if you can see the parts in the VAB). Just replace the two DLLs in there with the new test versions.

I'm running the experimental .dlls, nothing pops up in the VAB.

I'm running the experimental .dlls, nothing pops up in the VAB.

Not being snarky but I couldn't find where you first mentioned problems so I'm going off of just this post.

Unless you're running with modified part config files; you'll need to add one of the KER parts to your craft. This also means you'll need to go to the main KER thread and install the latest release there; and then over-right the dll's from this thread. Somewhere someone posted a MM config file which automatically ads the KER config options to any pod; thats the only way you can run with JUST the dlls.

EDIT: My bad; I thought this WAS the experimental thread when I posted it.

Edited by TheShandyMan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.