[AnyOS] KSP Mod Admin v2 - Mod install with a few clicks

MacTee

Iam done with the dll change.

Here is the new prerelease Version 1.3.1 (EDIT: link removed).

Now KSP MA supports 7zip and rar archives.

BugFixes:

- "Read Zip Structure" Bug fixed -> Thanks to "MorisatoK" & "cy-one"

- Flag import works again -> Thanks to "Reisu79"

- Renew checked state bug fixed (Gamedata folder got checked even if no child was installed).

Edited by MacTee

Ummm...I am new to using KSP MOD Admin, so maybe I am missing something...?

In the main window, I dont see a way to sort the list of mods in alphabetical order.....Maybe foolish of me, but I have about 50 mods to install, and it would make it easier to match them up with a complete list I have elsewhere, if they showed in alphabetical order.

Thanx! :)

Ummm...I am new to using KSP MOD Admin, so maybe I am missing something...?

In the main window, I dont see a way to sort the list of mods in alphabetical order.....Maybe foolish of me, but I have about 50 mods to install, and it would make it easier to match them up with a complete list I have elsewhere, if they showed in alphabetical order.

Thanx! :)

A sort function will be implemented in the next version.

Edit:

I have implemented the sort function and fixed a bug with the ship installation.

Prerelease Download (EDIT: link removed)

Edited by MacTee

Thanx.

Unfortunately, I dont know that I will be using any mod managers in the future. :(

After spending more than 36hrs over the past three days trying to get these mods installed, (the majority of the time spent using KSP MOD Admin, while I tried a couple others for a shorter time, becuase they were confusing and un-intuitive), I just couldnt get them all installed and working so KSP wouldnt lock-up while loading.

In fairness, it's not your program thats the problem. I got all but 3 mods to work with KSP Mod admin, by installing them one at a time, checking if it worked, then uninstalling to try another. In each case but the three, the installs all worked.

I finally got everything to work with ALL the mods installed at once...BUT only after installing everything manually.. :(

It seems out of about 60 mods, at least 3/4 of them didnt have the proper file structure for extracting. Didnt matter whether they were legacy or new format...They were just plain wrong for EITHER format. And many came with ABSOLUTELY NO basic instruction in a readme file.

So I guess until Squad removes the legacy backward compatability, and cracks down on proper submission of mods on the SpacePort, I guess manual installation for each mod separately is the way to go. :(

Edited by Stone Blue

@Stone Blue:

could you send me your list of mods, so i can check them?

Which version of KSPMA did you use?

The 1.3.0 had issues with reading some archives where the directory entrys where missing,

v1.3.1 (prerelease) should fix that problem. (EDIT: link removed)

Edited by MacTee

I was using the 1.3.0 early on, but when I ran into issues, I went back to read this thread to make sure I was using KSPMA properly, and saw you had JUST posted the 1.3.1, so I switched to using that.

Also, yes, CORE-ANVIL is one of the mods...After I saw it in the list of known bug fixes, I only ever tried that one manually.

Well, I'm still having issues...I dont know if its one, single mod causing the issue, or if its a matter of two or more mods working fine by themselves, but when installed together they are not playing well together, and are causing issues, or what....

Anyway, I have 65 total mods, and I had it down to around 55-60 that I REALLY wanted, so I've been working with just those.

Like I said, I dont really think its an issue with KSPMA. And before we go any further with THAT, let me ask:

1) If mods that are setup using the legacy format (ie go into the KSP root folder, instead of all into the GameData folder), will they still work if they ARE extracted to the GameData folder only?

2) Also, do you want to know which mods are greyed out in KSPMA, to which I have to manually select the destination?

Edited by Stone Blue

1) In order for them to work properly, you will have to wrap the stuff inside the part.cfg in PART{}.

But that doesn't guarantee that plugins will work, too, as plugin-related stuff might have changed during newer ksp-updates.

I was using the 1.3.0 early on, but when I ran into issues, I went back to read this thread to make sure I was using KSPMA properly, and saw you had JUST posted the 1.3.1, so I switched to using that.

I hope you have used the version of post #79 from 07:49. Other wise you may have encounter some problems with installing crafts.

The latest version (see first post prerelease) fixes the craft install issue.

Like I said, I dont really think its an issue with KSPMA. And before we go any further with THAT, let me ask:

1) If mods that are setup using the legacy format (ie go into the KSP root folder, instead of all into the GameData folder), will they still work if they ARE extracted to the GameData folder only?

2) Also, do you want to know which mods are greyed out in KSPMA, to which I have to manually select the destination?

1. Till now i wasn't aware of the fakt that there are still mods that must be installed into the root folders of ksp (legacy format).
    I think those mods won't work properly when they are installed to the gamedata folder.
    it seems that i have to add a option, so that KSPMA will install the mode in the root folders.
  2. It would be great if you could PM me the whole list.

1) In order for them to work properly, you will have to wrap the stuff inside the part.cfg in PART{}.

But that doesn't guarantee that plugins will work, too, as plugin-related stuff might have changed during newer ksp-updates.

OK...I separated my mods into three folders. "New" for ones that follow the new structure, "Legacy" for ones that havent been updated yet, and "Unknown" for ones I couldnt tell. I havent been messing with the "Unknowns". And yes, I checked the "Legacy" mods for the modified part.cfgs, as part of figuring out which of the three categories I would put each into.

And, yes, from what I can tell, KSPMA IS putting the "Legacy" mods straight into the /GameData folder. :tu:

The version I have, I downloaded at 08/06/2013 7:34PM EST, so no, not the latest...lol

BUT, I have been installing the mods in groups, based on New/Legacy, then Parts/Plugins/Prefab Modules/Science/Ships, with Ships being the last, and I always get issues before I get to installing those mods, so THAT shouldnt be the issue. :)

Also, once I install a batch of mods, and then when KSP locks up while loading, I wipe the whole KSP folder and re-extract the whole game, fresh, then start over with a different group of mods...

I think I'm just gonna start fresh, and install one mod at a time again using KSPMA, and see how that goes. THEN I will try batch installing by groups again.

So I'll send you the list of mods when I am done trying them individually....??

Also, is there a way to highlight more than one mod at a time?...When I want to select more than one mod to install, only one will highlight blue...??

Because, if I'm doing this right, only the single, highlighted one will be installed when I click "Selected Mods"... ??

In any case, I want to applaud you, MacTee, on staying right on top of your mod, with the frequent responses, fixes, and updates... :D :tu:

Edited by Stone Blue

So I'll send you the list of mods when I am done trying them individually....??

If you dont mind you can send me the list right away.

This thing, is giving me a massive headache

What causes the headache?

What causes the headache?[MacTee/QUOTE]

Nevermind, the interface is pretty hard to learn, the Selected Mods and the All Mods button are confusing, its like it selects a Mod.

SUGGESTION: The All Mods and Selected Mods button should be named Install/Deinstall Selected Mods and Install/Deinstall All Mods.

This is great, i am now not afraid to get my mods when a new version comes, before the Account Massacre (My account got deleted :(, i had 345 posts) i used Kerbal Mod Manager, its straightforward and easy to learn, but this is a lot better, now i can manage two copies of KSP at a time.

Nevermind, the interface is pretty hard to learn, the Selected Mods and the All Mods button are confusing, its like it selects a Mod.

SUGGESTION: The All Mods and Selected Mods button should be named Install/Deinstall Selected Mods and Install/Deinstall All Mods.

I thought that the big "Proceed", the tooltips for every button or checkbox and the grouping of those buttons would lead the user.

I'll think about a renaming ...

Thank you for your suggestion! :)

Edited by MacTee

Well, after many hours yesterday/last nite, I finished. My head hurt too much to post results afterward...lol

One thing, I found out that the Cntrl/left click allows you to select multiple mods, but yeah, Shift/left click does NOT work (at least for me).

So I have a list of the mods, and other notes, but its in .xls format, and you cant attach files in PM...So MacTee, is it OK if I post it here, or do you have an email I could send to, or something?

Oh, I also have the kspmodadmin.cfg file in the /KSP_win folder, and some KSP game crash files, if those would help...??

I also found that two of the mods fail even with manual install, so thats probably the mods themsleves are bad, and three other mods pass if installed manually, but fail if installed with KSPMA.

Being as how I am new to KSP, the majority of the mods I chose (I think) are pretty popular ones, as I didnt dig around too much to get them, and most were suggested on several websites as being the Top Mods to get for KSP...

Edited by Stone Blue

Email sent. :D

Well, I got KSP to load and not lock up on boot, so that I can actually get into the game and play...BUT it seems I'm still having issues, after reinstalling most of the mods (except a few I dont need right now, and a couple that seem to be broken), and will likely redo everything again with a fresh install.

Well, it seems quite a few of the mods I am trying to install, are just plain packaged incorrectly, and do not extract into the proper folders like they should, and require manually tweaking them.

No wonder an All-In-One installer might have issues getting everything installed properly... :) NOT that KSPMA has issues...I'm just saying would it be a surprise to anyone for a program of this type to have issues installing things properly, when those things its supposed to install are not properly packaged IN THE FIRST PLACE. :)

Edited by Stone Blue

I thought that the big "Proceed", the tooltips for every button or checkbox and the grouping of those buttons would lead the user.

I'll think about a renaming ...

Thank you for your suggestion! :)

You could do several things: "Install / Uninstall:", "Proceed with:", "Continue with:"

Also, a part that I had an issue with was that when I wanted to uninstall a mod, I had to click remove to uninstall it, which would also remove the mod from the list. Has this been fixed? Are the "selected mods" and "all mods" buttons toggles? do they actually install on the first click and then uninstall on the second click? If this is true, then you will definitely want to use "Install / Uninstall:" instead of just "Proceed:". This way the user is informed that clicking the buttons below will perform a specific action, and not have to wonder what might happen if they just "Proceed". You also might want to put a "legend" in to show what the colors mean (or what the green dot on the folder means), or an "Installed / Not Installed / Removed" column to help. Don't get me wrong, colors are nice, but there can be issues with all kinds of things when looking at colors (colorblindness, laptop LCD acting funny, strange color scheme in windows, highlighted programs don't display correctly...) that can make it difficult or impossible to see. Sometimes it's just nice to see a bit of text saying "Installed" or "Removed" or "New Mod" or "Installed with problems" or "Could not install", something to make it a bit easier to understand what just happened when you clicked the button. I realize that there is the bottom text area, maybe if there is an error, the column says to refer to error number in list below. Just some thoughts. Anyways, good work, I think I'm going to stick with your program, it seems to be way better than KSPMM. Oh, and here's something else, what can you do with something like this?

Edit: was just thinking using an "Install / Uninstall" for both buttons may not work if the user has several mods that are both installed and not installed. how will the program know whether the user wants to install or uninstall the mods? it might just be better to create 2 separate sections, one for "install:", and one for "uninstall:"

You could also do this:

|Proceed:.............................................|

|________________...________________...|

||Install:...............|.|Uninstall:............|..|

||."Selected Mods"..|.|."Selected Mods"..|..|

||."All Mods"..........|.|.."All Mods"..........|..|

||.X-Overwrite.Files|.|.........................|..|

|.------------------..--------------------.|

-------------------------------------------

hehe, ascii art, lol

Edited by Benzschwagel

^^x2

I agree...Just a little more of text indicator of "Installed", "Uninstalled", "Disabled", etc...

I also noticed that I would sometimes get different colors of text, for the same mod, at different times?...One time it would be green, another it would be black, then again it would be red...??

But, yes, so far of three installers I tried, yours is by far the best. :)

I couldnt even get one of the "others" to open...It always locked up at the big, fancy splash screen, and I would have to fight to end the task....And the "other" was too simple, that it was un-intuitive...I had no idea what functions did what, or what happened when I pushed a button...

oh, I think I got it, when a mod get's added, it's checked by default, and when "Selected Mods" is chosen, it installs that mod. when you then uncheck that mod and click "Selected Mods", it uninstalls that mod. I think that was what wasn't clear. maybe you should use the word "Process" or "Process Changes" instead of "Proceed". Proceed is too vague, too bland. It isn't specific enough, but also it wasn't immediately clear to uninstall parts or all of mods by unchecking them and then clicking the button. You should put that somewhere, maybe a help file. Maybe I'm just slow, too, or wasn't paying attention.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.